Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

1 hour ago, RambleOn51 said:

He has an average division 1 arm. This crazy narrative that he has some sort of noodle arm is so annoying. Dude completed a 40 yard pass falling backwards against Iowa and has plenty of zip across the middle. Wanna see a noodle arm? Go watch Zach lee highlights. 

The way the ball comes out of his hand is just ugly but it was for Eli Manning and he won a couple super bowls so what do I know 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Decked said:

I’m not even sure smothers has the arm to be a good starter. I just can’t believe how bad the recruiting was. Terrible. 

But Frost declares he is VERY selective in his QB recruiting and R Torres is the right QB for next year.  But we are (maybe anyway) still being very selective from the portal too.  

Ultimately Frost is Head Coach and decides who gets recruited and scholarships and who doesn’t.  He decides who plays and where, when, why and how.   He IS the Director in this movie.  His job to be the closer.  Once here, he’s in charge of the team and all things therein.    He has everything including a massive new construction project to excite and attract new talent, fans who come and cheer, win or lose a lot, rain or shine, etc. 

And QB is the single most Frost managed/recruited spot clearly.  Or mismanaged?   Lots of not so successful guys have come & gone , early and often.  Basically only one guy has played enough to honestly evaluate and could muster the team to wins against the weakest of opponents, a third of the time. Worst in 50 years!  

Is Frost not very good at selecting?  Coaching?  Relating?  Recruiting?  Managing?  All of the above?   He has a history with Milton but he wasn’t the QB’s HC.  

I think we can say that HCSF is not “the QB whisperer”.  

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think we can say you are a broken record.  Seriously man, give it a rest.  

His job is on the line.  Everyone knows that without you repeating how much he sucks for the 50th time.  He will do his best to put the best guy under center.  It will either be good enough or not.

The point is his job is always on the line.  Every coach faces that so we discuss how and what he does right and wrong.  We don’t all agree - fact most disagree on most everything.  

11 minutes ago, Display name said:

I don’t know why everyone is talking about Logan he will transfer we are looking for pro style QB haarberg and torres will battle it out with who ever we bring in from the portal I think they feel real good about torres 

I too think Smothers is gone as soon as we sign a portal guy. It is now the new state of college football.

27 minutes ago, Display name said:

I don’t know why everyone is talking about Logan he will transfer we are looking for pro style QB haarberg and torres will battle it out with who ever we bring in from the portal I think they feel real good about torres 

You think they feel really good about a true freshman coming off a major knee injury? They feel better about him than the guy who started our last game and would have won if not for another major special teams blunder? Im skeptical. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I think we can say you are a broken record.  Seriously man, give it a rest.  

His job is on the line.  Everyone knows that without you repeating how much he sucks for the 50th time.  He will do his best to put the best guy under center.  It will either be good enough or not.

100% accurate. Mark Twain once wrote: It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
40 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Smothers won't enter the portal until after spring when he sees how he looks against the other QBs on the roster

I also thought that, BUT, on the other hand, he may want to get into another school and go through spring ball there to give himself a chance to play. I think there may be a reason we aren’t in a hurry to grab a portal guy. If we could have signed a top teir, no doubter, then we would have. Now, they are asking “ how much better is portal guy, than who we have”. 

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Smothers won't enter the portal until after spring when he sees how he looks against the other QBs on the roster

Suggesting if a new portal qb comes in?  Because right now he is up against Haarberg and Masker.  Torres is coming off ACL.  I think Logan is in a good spot, but needs to put on some weight and strengthen his arm up some.

2 hours ago, Display name said:

I think you're wrong....neither of those guys are as accurate as Smothers. Haarberg has a weird throwing motion with poor accuracy and Torres is great because he's the new guy nobody has seen yet. Both need a ton of work; Smothers is ready to go. What we need is a playcaller who knows what the hell he's doing.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Will be interesting.  Isnt Smothers dad a high school coach (specifically Logan's)?  Is he the type of earn it coach\dad and asks Logan to stick it out or does he see Nebraska as failing and is already working to find his boy a new school 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, admo said:

Suggesting if a new portal qb comes in?  Because right now he is up against Haarberg and Masker.  Torres is coming off ACL.  I think Logan is in a good spot, but needs to put on some weight and strengthen his arm up some.

Masker looked like Joe Ganz in slop time against Northwestern, but I have no idea if he can throw.

If the Incarnate Word guy came in it would be a game changer, but most of the portal QB's I've seen mentioned who have any interest in us have their own issues, which is why they're there. I wouldn't piss off our guys by bringing in some project QB and treating him like royalty. And that may be why they're not being sold on coming, because they want a guarantee.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Masker looked like Joe Ganz in slop time against Northwestern, but I have no idea if he can throw.

If the Incarnate Word guy came in it would be a game changer, but most of the portal QB's I've seen mentioned who have any interest in us have their own issues, which is why they're there. I wouldn't piss off our guys by bringing in some project QB and treating him like royalty. And that may be why they're not being sold on coming, because they want a guarantee.

I agree.  And Cam Ward does seem appealing.  I don't know if Chubba has signed, but I can see him being the best prospect transfer we lure.  However,  I prefer that if we do grab a QB, he doesn't have 3 years available like Purdy.