Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

4 hours ago, Decked said:

There isn’t a QB on the roster who isn’t a massive project. Period. One of the three COULD be developed by Whip. I think that is likely a few year process unfortunately. That’s why we so badly need someone else who is even a game manager..

I think Smothers has a lot of upside. I'm surprised so many are writing him off right away. He's a better runner than AM and his arm seems just as good in limited play. With better coaching, who knows...

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 3
23 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

This is where I am at.  Supposedly we hired someone who knows how to coach QB's.

I think the key being a QB coach who will work with him.  I was never sold on Verduzco watching AM.  Seemed to make same mistakes game in and game out for all 4 years.  And a back up was never ready to step in.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

I think Smothers has a lot of upside. I'm surprised so many are writing him off right away. He's a better runner than AM and his arm seems just as good in limited play. With better coaching, who knows...

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

This is where I am at.  Supposedly we hired someone who knows how to coach QB's.

What concerns me is how durable will he be with his build. Needs to do what's necessary helping to ensure longevity. And the O-line needs to kick it in the pants protecting their quarterbacks. Along with a reliable rushing attack. 

24 minutes ago, M.A. said:

What concerns me is how durable will he be with his build. Needs to do what's necessary helping to ensure longevity. And the O-line needs to kick it in the pants protecting their quarterbacks. Along with a reliable rushing attack. 

QB's best friend is a solid running game.  This will help a lot.  Of course you need an OL and a coach that will commit to it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

My biggest concern with Smothers is his arm. I noticed some floaters that he threw vs. Iowa that elite DBs would have snatched with the quickness. He also seems to throw it to his safety valve quite a bit of the time, and teams will pick up on that. His arm strength is ok, but I'm not sure if "ok" will be enough to lead us to victories in most games. Interested to see what Whipple can do with him in the limited time that he has.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I like how a lot of posters thinks we need QBs to be 6’ 4+  225 to be successful in this offense.  Smothers is more then adequate to run this offense and honestly could thrive doing it.  

That's not nearly bulky enough! We need someone similar in stature to Travis Vokolek. Is it possible we could convert him? I'd heard once there was a trick play involving him. He might be able to stand firm in the pocket like a statue! I don't know how well he throws... :dunno

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I like how a lot of posters thinks we need QBs to be 6’ 4+  225 to be successful in this offense.  Smothers is more then adequate to run this offense and honestly could thrive doing it.  

To run this offense ? Do you know something I don’t I’m pretty sure we have no idea what kind of offense we will run next year