Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

Without a couple excellent, proven Big Ten caliber transfer O linemen with a couple years eligibility, we have to rely on the existing roster and hope that Whipple and Beck and Raiola can build off what they already can do.  This seems a reach unless we believe Austin laid a better foundation than we’ve seen or miracles do happen.  This is possible.  

The best evidence we have to go by is that there didn’t seem to be a great deal of desperation or panic in O line recruiting this class, suggesting Trev and Co see more potential in the roster. 

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Have you seen our O-line room?  At this point, I celebrate pieces.

Obviously, you haven't seen my posts about the OL over this past year.

The question for theknife was regarding what he meant by "huge get"?  I took it to mean "that" as reference to him being a "body" in the mix and not necessarily a "huge get" as in ... he's a real stud who will make a great impact.

3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Smothers has something you can't teach....IT factor that to me will rally the team. Adrian talked great at pressers but to me didn't have that sauce kids rally around. I think Smothers has more football IQ, quicker feet, and gets the ball out quicker. He might not make the holy sh*t type plays Adrian did when the play broke down, but there is no doubt he will make more correct plays which will lead to less turnovers and more wins. 

We don't know what type of QB Smothers will be. That's why Frost is going after a transfer QB. If Frost's job was safe I'm sure we would be starting Smothers this season, and take our lumps with him as he figures it out. Frost doesn't have the luxury, if Smothers isn't ready right away our entire coaching staff probably gets canned. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Was Darrion Daniels special or just a piece? Toure? I mean they don't all have to be first round draft picks to help out the team

It sounds like you have something from the past with me you might be bringing into the post.  

I was simply asking what he meant and saw by his statement of "huge get".  This has nothing to do with Daniels or Toure.  Both of those "gets" were very nice players for us from my eyes/vantage point.

Since it's a forum, I thought it would be interesting to hear what he meant by "huge get", especially since I have no clue on who the kid or his background.  It sounded like he seemed to have a "high view" of him.  It is okay to ask questions an garner what another has heard or sees since it was just a recent post and no one had stated any real "details" on who this kid has been as a player.

It's Christmas ... feel free to drop the axe for a couple of days. Ha ha.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Without a couple excellent, proven Big Ten caliber transfer O linemen with a couple years eligibility, we have to rely on the existing roster and hope that Whipple and Beck and Raiola can build off what they already can do.  This seems a reach unless we believe Austin laid a better foundation than we’ve seen or miracles do happen.  This is possible.  

The best evidence we have to go by is that there didn’t seem to be a great deal of desperation or panic in O line recruiting this class, suggesting Trev and Co see more potential in the roster. 

My concern is the Whip offensive scheme predicated on a pass first concept.  PFF had our OL score their highest grades in run blocking with 1 or 2of our OL guys actually scoring 0% in passing during some games.  Unsure how Raiola and Co fix that enough to support passing the ball more. But looking at the W-L record, we were pretty much combat ineffective in every facet of our team the past several years.....

I am hoping the comments about Austin basically doing nada were true and Raiola can at least make theme average.  Losing our starting center will leave a mark moving forward IMHO.

48 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

We don't know what type of QB Smothers will be. That's why Frost is going after a transfer QB. If Frost's job was safe I'm sure we would be starting Smothers this season, and take our lumps with him as he figures it out. Frost doesn't have the luxury, if Smothers isn't ready right away our entire coaching staff probably gets canned. 

And they should be.  Back up QB, in his 3rd season, still not ready should raise a lot of red flags.  Sadly, we had red flags that were ignored for a few years and until Frost realized he was facing the probability of being fired, and then changes were made.  Possibly too late.   

2 hours ago, lo country said:

My concern is the Whip offensive scheme predicated on a pass first concept.  PFF had our OL score their highest grades in run blocking with 1 or 2of our OL guys actually scoring 0% in passing during some games.  Unsure how Raiola and Co fix that enough to support passing the ball more. But looking at the W-L record, we were pretty much combat ineffective in every facet of our team the past several years.....

I am hoping the comments about Austin basically doing nada were true and Raiola can at least make theme average.  Losing our starting center will leave a mark moving forward IMHO.

What comments about Austin doing nada? If he wasn’t doing much it is worrisome about frosts decision making if he kept him here for 4 seasons and even promoted him last year 

3 hours ago, BigRedN said:

It sounds like you have something from the past with me you might be bringing into the post.  

I was simply asking what he meant and saw by his statement of "huge get".  This has nothing to do with Daniels or Toure.  Both of those "gets" were very nice players for us from my eyes/vantage point.

Since it's a forum, I thought it would be interesting to hear what he meant by "huge get", especially since I have no clue on who the kid or his background.  It sounded like he seemed to have a "high view" of him.  It is okay to ask questions an garner what another has heard or sees since it was just a recent post and no one had stated any real "details" on who this kid has been as a player.

It's Christmas ... feel free to drop the axe for a couple of days. Ha ha.

You really should drop the martyr complex. It would go a long way towards more civil discussion. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what @Nebfanatic asked you, stated or the way he asked.

Seriously, trying to help. But I’m sure you’ll take it as being for some nefarious purpose.

• Plus1 4