Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

21 hours ago, BigRedN said:

It sounds like you have something from the past with me you might be bringing into the post.  

I was simply asking what he meant and saw by his statement of "huge get".  This has nothing to do with Daniels or Toure.  Both of those "gets" were very nice players for us from my eyes/vantage point.

Since it's a forum, I thought it would be interesting to hear what he meant by "huge get", especially since I have no clue on who the kid or his background.  It sounded like he seemed to have a "high view" of him.  It is okay to ask questions an garner what another has heard or sees since it was just a recent post and no one had stated any real "details" on who this kid has been as a player.

It's Christmas ... feel free to drop the axe for a couple of days. Ha ha.

It sounds like you take offense to anything. I don't have anything against you. I answered your question. He will be important to us. Does that make him a superstar or special player? Maybe not but there is only a handful of those players anyway. A huge get isn't always a special player. They could just be a good player at a position of need. 

This isn't the first time you've felt I have a problem with you. I don't. This is a forum where we are here to discuss and at times disagree.

• Plus1 3
17 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Do you think it’s fair to compare a 4 year starter and a freshman with no game experience? 

I feel you but the thing is how did Martinez look as a freshman? Like he had the IT factor. Smothers played well for 3.5 quarters with a gameplan that played to his strengths and protected a freshman starting his first game against one of the best defenses in the country. Smothers looked very promising imo. I think we could win with him at the helm. But to say he has the IT factor and Martinez doesn't based on that performance is a stretch to say the least. He turned it over twice in crunch time, usually Martinez only does it once. Also that last one was pretty aweful. Martinez makes some bad mistakes but I can't him see him throwing one away in that fashion(give him one more chance he'd probably prove me wrong lol) 

All that said, I like Smothers and I think there are more important targets in the portal. We need to sure up the OL. If we didn't get a transfer QB I wouldn't be too worried honestly. Smothers can do some great things and with Whipple coaching him up I think there is alot more potential there than people are expecting out of him. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I realize that too many think they are ready but are not.  So they transfer into situations that have them restarting a new offense and new depth chart.  How many actually make the NFL even after 4 years of playing?   A small fraction of the hundreds of QBs on top 75 teams.  

Their best chance is to pick a school and work their way up and play when ready.  Imo.  Somebody needs to explain this to every recruit with hard data/ facts.  

Vedral left because he rightly knew Frost wouldn’t give him a legit chance. Adrian was his one and only guy - period. Win or lose a lot.  Imo. Coaches must be frank, open, honest, fair and realistic with every player today.  If guys think they deserve to start right away, they better be a top 5 recruit, for real.  Teams will win more with QBs who don’t make costly errors frequently in games with comparable talent all across the teams. Imo.  

There is some truth to what you say but it is not reality.... at all.  Name a top program that has stud QBs wait until they are juniors to start.  Pre-portal it was common.  Now it is extremely rare.  These kids are chasing NIL money and glory at 18 and 19.  Asking good players to wait until they are juniors to start is a thing of the past.  

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I feel you but the thing is how did Martinez look as a freshman? Like he had the IT factor. Smothers played well for 3.5 quarters with a gameplan that played to his strengths and protected a freshman starting his first game against one of the best defenses in the country. Smothers looked very promising imo. I think we could win with him at the helm. But to say he has the IT factor and Martinez doesn't based on that performance is a stretch to say the least. He turned it over twice in crunch time, usually Martinez only does it once. Also that last one was pretty aweful. Martinez makes some bad mistakes but I can't him see him throwing one away in that fashion(give him one more chance he'd probably prove me wrong lol) 

All that said, I like Smothers and I think there are more important targets in the portal. We need to sure up the OL. If we didn't get a transfer QB I wouldn't be too worried honestly. Smothers can do some great things and with Whipple coaching him up I think there is alot more potential there than people are expecting out of him. 

I agree. I never thought Martinez would peak at his freshman season. I also am not saying I think Smothers is the answer. I am just saying I dont think it is fair to compare a senior to a freshman. The fact a freshman had similiar results to a senior says more about the senior than the freshman IMO. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Mac Jones says hello. 

I agree many kids now days think they are entitled to play now. But there are probably many examples of a Mac Jones. 

There are very few.  If you aren't at an Alabama with Nick in your ear, you are looking for an opportunity to play.  Even then, they have kids transfer yearly to go get playing time somewhere alse.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JoeHuskers! said:

I thought Vedral only started because of 2AM injuries? I do remember him benching Martinez for Luke though...

Vedral started 2 games in 2019 after AM was injured, and Vedral wasn't all that good and NU went 0-2. You are correct that AM was benched in 2020 after struggling against Northwestern. Like started 2 games, going 1-1 and was returned to the bench after playing very poorly against Illinois. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Wondering if we will extend offers to Jacob Cowing or Jey Ducker. Both had great statistical years and both would fit our offense very well.

We should because you are correct. We should offer Ducker as an “olive branch”. Although he will not come here, it may be a start to repairing the rift in Omaha

• Plus1 2

I wouldn't hate bringing in Thompson from UT. He had a 3 game stretch all against top 15 teams, where he threw for 8 TDs 3 INT and averaged 290 yards. Seems like everyone at UT praises him as a person. It was also his first year starting and sounds like he was dealing with a hand injury. Don't see why anyone would be against bringing in a guy who held his own in big time games, and would be a positive influence in the locker room. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I wouldn't hate bringing in Thompson from UT. He had a 3 game stretch all against top 15 teams, where he threw for 8 TDs 3 INT and averaged 290 yards. Seems like everyone at UT praises him as a person. It was also his first year starting and sounds like he was dealing with a hand injury. Don't see why anyone would be against bringing in a guy who held his own in big time games, and would be a positive influence in the locker room. 

Not really much of a down side to bringing him in. He may or may not be the guy, but outside of Ward, he is my pick if we are going to seriously go after a portal guy

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think he is our main target at this point.

• Oh Yeah! 1