Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

45 minutes ago, lo country said:

I liked what I saw of Smothers against Iowa.  Granted you could say "limited playbook", no film for Iowa etc...but he (IMHO) had little to no developmental coaching or attention.  So with another perceived QB guru, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. It might be revisionist history, but its been a long time since we had a QB make it through a complete season.  These stats show why that might have been, at least the past few years.  We were really bad at pass blocking (tackles) so hopefully that improves.  

Pass blocking we were 126 out of 130 FBS teams

282 out of 295 Division I teams (unsure how they got 295 teams as FBS/FCS is 258)

Further proof it all starts up front.  Better OL play, more wins.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-position-review-offensive-line

My concern with Smothers is that he was recruited for an offense that isn't going to be the go-forward offense. Yeah, he did pretty well against Iowa, but he also ran the ball 20+ times. First, that wouldn't be sustainable over the course of a season, and second, that's not going to be Whipple's offense. Now, it would be interesting if Smothers stuck around as some type of wildcat QB, like Minnesota had with their backup QB, but then that would require an even broader offense. I would rather have NU be really efficient at their base offensive philosophy before trying to do everything. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

51 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My concern with Smothers is that he was recruited for an offense that isn't going to be the go-forward offense. Yeah, he did pretty well against Iowa, but he also ran the ball 20+ times. First, that wouldn't be sustainable over the course of a season, and second, that's not going to be Whipple's offense. Now, it would be interesting if Smothers stuck around as some type of wildcat QB, like Minnesota had with their backup QB, but then that would require an even broader offense. I would rather have NU be really efficient at their base offensive philosophy before trying to do everything. 

We’ve been down the road of making a an fit our system  way to many times…..   I don’t want us to do that anymore. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

We’ve been down the road of making a an fit our system  way to many times…..   I don’t want us to do that anymore. 

Thompson was brought in to be the QB of a certain system.  Purdy is being recruited to do the same. Smothers doesn't fit the same profiles as those 2, in that he seems more of a run-first QB. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, HANC said:

That is a correct way to explain it. I am not sure if Purdy is better than Smothers???? But, if they don’t get him, they may end up with neither, if Smothers bails if he isn’t starter. I think they are covering bases, which is NOT what they did when they went after Luke. Lesson learned. In today’s world, you better plan on kids taking off rather than sitting around

Yeah, it's like even if your current girlfriend is pretty, if you know she's not "the one," then you gotta keep looking and take risks, even if the possibility exists that the original was the better choice.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thompson was brought in to be the QB of a certain system.  Purdy is being recruited to do the same. Smothers doesn't fit the same profiles as those 2, in that he seems more of a run-first QB. 

I agree. Dunno why qb keeps auto correcting to an.    I think the days of making a qb fit a system are gone. The portal makes it easier to find a guy that fits. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

I agree. Dunno why qb keeps auto correcting to an.    I think the days of making a qb fit a system are gone. The portal makes it easier to find a guy that fits. 

I got ya now. I'm sure Mike Riley wishes the transfer portal and free transfers were available when he was at NU. He could have brought in a QB to unseat Armstrong (who despite his faults, was a winner for 3 of his years), and have a QB better than Tanner Lee. 

• Fire 1
24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I got ya now. I'm sure Mike Riley wishes the transfer portal and free transfers were available when he was at NU. He could have brought in a QB to unseat Armstrong (who despite his faults, was a winner for 3 of his years), and have a QB better than Tanner Lee. 

Truth!   I would have loved to see what his offense could do with his style qb. 

wonder what bo would have been like if he could have gotten a better qb for his abysmal offense years and fantastic defenses. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's like you already have a pretty girlfriend, but then you see another pretty girl and you want her too.... then you hook up with the second girl and the original one leaves you, but then down the line you realize that the original was the better of the two. That's my concern.

No simping allowed. Men do not think like that bud. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What on earth makes you think that would have made a difference? Lee was a transfer, and got a waiver to play immediately, just like you have now with the portal. Lee was the QB Riley wanted. The results speak for themselves. You think it would have somehow been better if we'd had a Tanner Lee for two or three years instead of one?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hear you with Smothers, but isn't the kid we just offered from Wichita a dual threat as is Purdy.  I am hoping we see a system that builds on the best of Whip and Frost brings.  But the continually throwing square pegs at round holes gets old for sure.

57 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

True but the hope is he’d have had better options to choose from.  Man lee was bad 

Maybe more options would've helped, but I doubt it would've mattered because I don't think he was good at evaluating talent.

And by 2017, he could've also had a junior/RS soph QB on the roster of his own choosing, but he failed to sign a single QB in his first recruiting class.

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

Maybe more options would've helped, but I doubt it would've mattered because I don't think he was good at evaluating talent.

And by 2017, he could've also had a junior/RS soph QB on the roster of his own choosing, but he failed to sign a single QB in his first recruiting class.

Oh I don’t think he was a good coach! Im just sick of losing :(