Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

12 minutes ago, GSG said:

Kinda hoping it's Rattler just so I can watch all the Keyboard Coaches' heads explode

giphy.gif

This is exactly what 24/7 Shaffer said yesterday on radio.  As a recruiting analyst, he said there is nothing to connect Rattler to Lincoln, but he wanted him just because of all of the chaos that would follow.

14 minutes ago, sho said:

No one is saying Rattler doesn't have the skills, he's uber-talented.   I think there are major red flags about his attitude and mental side of things.  If he's focused and willing to do the work necessary, I'd take him in a hot second, but if he's going to go all Terrell Owens headcase, I'd pass for a guy that can fit the team better.

Good lookin' out coach.

12 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Rattler literally got benched because of turnovers.  Is that really what we want at qb again?

Agreed.

And also I really don't think Frost's scheme needs a guy that's as mobile as Martinez or Rattler. It really needs a throw-first guy.

And we're bringing in an OC who led more of a throw-first QB in an offense that used that strength as its leverage to move the chains.

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

And also I really don't think Frost's scheme needs a guy that's as mobile as Martinez or Rattler. It really needs a throw-first guy.

And we're bringing in an OC who led more of a throw-first QB in an offense that used that strength as its leverage to move the chains.

Agreed.  Definitely need a throw first guy.  At least most of the transfer portal targets seem to fit that...

• Haha 1

Write up from this summer discussing the LSU QB Battle (prior to Brennan Injury), pretty exciting stuff about Brennan. 

Despite his 1-2 record (thanks Bo), Myles Brennan absolutely looked the part in his three-game stint as the starting LSU quarterback. Overall, Myles Brennan posted a PFF grade of 87.5 with a passing grade of 88.3, both numbers a hair shy of the elite 90 benchmark. 

He posted a superb big time throw percentage of 7.5 with a minuscule turnover worthy play percentage of 0.7. He was an absolutely incredible deep passer, posting a 97.5 (!!!!!) grade on balls past 20 yards down the field, which was behind only the likes of Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, Spencer Rattler, Sam Howell, and Trevor Lawrence. It’s unfair to compare him to those guys given the sample differences but it shows how good he was in that time.

Facing pressure Brennan really shined. It’s important to note that performance under pressure is inherently unsustainable and volatile given the fluidity and unpredictability of pressure situations. That said, Brennan’s passing grade when pressured was an astonishing 82.8 (under pressure that’s incredible but probably unsustainable). His yards per attempt under pressure came in at 11.4 (!!!), with an absurd big time throw percentage of 12.8. His passing grade when blitzed was an elite 90.2 with a BTT percentage of 8.2. Those numbers themselves are unsustainable, but it does show that Brennan can make plays and move the football when the bullets fly, which is important because LSU’s offensive line still projects to underwhelm. More predictive benchmarks occur when kept clean, because it eliminates the fluidity and variance of pressure situations. Brennan posted an 87.2 overall grade with a rock solid big time throw percentage of 5.3 and a tiny turnover worthy play percentage of 1.1. That’s decently high level stuff; it’s a shade under stardom, and it displays the high end ability he flashed before his injury.

I didn’t just source data from PFF. SEC Statcat does amazing work over on their site which gives you metrics that tell you a bit more about accuracy. Brennan posted a somewhat solid but far from elite accuracy percentage of 61.07. That said, he made up for it with a really good to great depth adjusted accuracy (accounts for accuracy downfield, a function of your depth of target and accuracy metrics) of 57.64, which was good for third in the SEC ahead of players like Matt Corral (who is really great at everything except avoiding turnovers) and Kyle Trask (who was a Heisman finalist and second round pick).

1 hour ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I've been getting a kick out of these "No Rattler" posters on this and other forums.  They'd be foaming at the mouth to have the #1 QB in his class even remotely interested in Nebraska.  To all of a sudden act like he's no good is just classic Nebraska fan crimson colored glasses.  Seriously, how can anyone be above a former 5* qb considering we're coming off four losing seasons in a row?  It just mind blowing.

Exactly. I cannot follow the thought process. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

Rattler throws the ball quite a bit IIRC.  Just looking over his game logs, he has a couple games of double digit carries but he definitely seems to be more of a 'run because you roll out and there are yards to be had' versus looking to run if that makes sense.  Still, this is a moot point because I just don't see a way Rattler comes to NU.  This dude has ASU written all over him.

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Write up from this summer discussing the LSU QB Battle (prior to Brennan Injury), pretty exciting stuff about Brennan. 

Despite his 1-2 record (thanks Bo), Myles Brennan absolutely looked the part in his three-game stint as the starting LSU quarterback. Overall, Myles Brennan posted a PFF grade of 87.5 with a passing grade of 88.3, both numbers a hair shy of the elite 90 benchmark. 

He posted a superb big time throw percentage of 7.5 with a minuscule turnover worthy play percentage of 0.7. He was an absolutely incredible deep passer, posting a 97.5 (!!!!!) grade on balls past 20 yards down the field, which was behind only the likes of Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, Spencer Rattler, Sam Howell, and Trevor Lawrence. It’s unfair to compare him to those guys given the sample differences but it shows how good he was in that time.

Facing pressure Brennan really shined. It’s important to note that performance under pressure is inherently unsustainable and volatile given the fluidity and unpredictability of pressure situations. That said, Brennan’s passing grade when pressured was an astonishing 82.8 (under pressure that’s incredible but probably unsustainable). His yards per attempt under pressure came in at 11.4 (!!!), with an absurd big time throw percentage of 12.8. His passing grade when blitzed was an elite 90.2 with a BTT percentage of 8.2. Those numbers themselves are unsustainable, but it does show that Brennan can make plays and move the football when the bullets fly, which is important because LSU’s offensive line still projects to underwhelm. More predictive benchmarks occur when kept clean, because it eliminates the fluidity and variance of pressure situations. Brennan posted an 87.2 overall grade with a rock solid big time throw percentage of 5.3 and a tiny turnover worthy play percentage of 1.1. That’s decently high level stuff; it’s a shade under stardom, and it displays the high end ability he flashed before his injury.

I didn’t just source data from PFF. SEC Statcat does amazing work over on their site which gives you metrics that tell you a bit more about accuracy. Brennan posted a somewhat solid but far from elite accuracy percentage of 61.07. That said, he made up for it with a really good to great depth adjusted accuracy (accounts for accuracy downfield, a function of your depth of target and accuracy metrics) of 57.64, which was good for third in the SEC ahead of players like Matt Corral (who is really great at everything except avoiding turnovers) and Kyle Trask (who was a Heisman finalist and second round pick).

200.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, GSG said:

Kinda hoping it's Rattler just so I can watch all the Keyboard Coaches' heads explode

giphy.gif

I'm sure Rattler would like nothing better than beating OU when they come to Lincoln in the fall.   

I'm hoping it is Brennan - someone that MJ is familiar with.  Perhaps some other LSU guys transfer with him (WR, OL)

• Oh Yeah! 1