Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Somehow last season's team managed to average 450 yards a game -- 20th in the nation -- with o linemen not up to ndobney standards. 

So even a modest upgrade with a revised scheme could be reason for optimism.

For less discerning fans than ndobney, of course. 

100% agree. That’s why Raiola is here. We have talented lineman who need to develop. I think the staff sees that. Sure, It would have been nice to get Shorts, but maybe they get someone after the spring portal entries. 

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Decked said:

5 is extreme but we had the two worst tackles in the big ten. And our best player is leaving. New coach, scheme, etc but he is correct about needing massive improvement up front.

I mean are we just going to ignore the two that were already brought in?   Do they not matter?

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

With all these portal transfers it looks like we are trying to Michigan St our way into the top twenty. Fine with me.

Frost came in wanting to do things the way he felt was the right way. Rather than going for a bunch of quick-fix JUCO & transfer guys, he wanted to build for the long-term with guys he picked out of high school, redshirting as many of them as he could, with just a couple top-notch transfers as needed. I think a lot of us were behind that idea when he was hired.

But the 2017 class that Riley left Frost with was just plain disastrous. Almost all of them were gone within two years. Frost's own first class didn't fare a whole lot better. Frost's 'build for the long-term' approach was great in theory, but the implosion of two whole recruiting classes just left too many holes in the roster that couldn't be adequately filled by young and inexperienced guys. You look at the roster, and going into year four we were still really young in some position groups, most notably the offensive line.

I think what we're seeing now is essentially a tacit (and belated) admission from Frost that he's failed to build the kind of experienced core that a team really needs to be successful.

Better late than never...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Somehow last season's team managed to average 450 yards a game -- 20th in the nation -- with o linemen not up to ndobney standards. 

Guy Chamberlain thinks the O line is good, go figure!

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Do tell us of how great the special teams were as well.

12 hours ago, admo said:

Huskers have landed a lot of good talent from the portal.  And new coaches as well.  Which is very impressive, considering that the team went 3-9. I think it shows that we are still a big name brand, and we are close to turning this thing around.  People can see it (esp outside Nebraska) and those coming to the Huskers want to be a part of it.  It couldn't have been a better off season for this team, since playing Wisconsin & Iowa.  Now if we could just grab one more veteran starting offensive lineman, that would be even more awesome.

I don't know how many extra wins it translates to, but it's going to be a different team for sure.  The last 2 offseasons just felt like we were spinning our wheels.  This offseason is an entirely different vibe.  Kudos to Trev for lighting a gigantic fire under Frost's a$$.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't know how many extra wins it translates to, but it's going to be a different team for sure.  The last 2 offseasons just felt like we were spinning our wheels.  This offseason is an entirely different vibe.  Kudos to Trev for lighting a gigantic fire under Frost's a$$.

It sort of does seem different.  I wonder if before the changes maybe the staff just wasn't all that prepared in how to recruit, I feel like they were maybe more "take your time, go on other visits and be sure" recruiters.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It sort of does seem different.  I wonder if before the changes maybe the staff just wasn't all that prepared in how to recruit, I feel like they were maybe more "take your time, go on other visits and be sure" recruiters.  

Oh snap!  That sounds like some koolaid 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Toe said:

Frost came in wanting to do things the way he felt was the right way. Rather than going for a bunch of quick-fix JUCO & transfer guys, he wanted to build for the long-term with guys he picked out of high school, redshirting as many of them as he could, with just a couple top-notch transfers as needed. I think a lot of us were behind that idea when he was hired.

But the 2017 class that Riley left Frost with was just plain disastrous. Almost all of them were gone within two years. Frost's own first class didn't fare a whole lot better. Frost's 'build for the long-term' approach was great in theory, but the implosion of two whole recruiting classes just left too many holes in the roster that couldn't be adequately filled by young and inexperienced guys. You look at the roster, and going into year four we were still really young in some position groups, most notably the offensive line.

I think what we're seeing now is essentially a tacit (and belated) admission from Frost that he's failed to build the kind of experienced core that a team really needs to be successful.

Better late than never...

Our Oline in terms or time in the program was nearly identical to Iowas starting OL this past season. We went ahead and listed everyone with the added covid year and Iowa did not. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, because our O line still was the worst group on the team, we have a new O line coach.

I love the oline coach hire. The fact he’s an unproven commodity, I think that causes an uneasiness.  They aren’t worried about qb or wr but freaking out about ol. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I tend to side with what guy is saying here.   The OLine definitely had some issues at times and could use some upgrades, but the yards per game isn’t a fluke.  I think we the coaches are addressing the offensive weaknesses this off-season with a few new OLine pieces and better QB options.   That should help in the red zone and with more sustained drives.  

• Fire 1