Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

43 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Our Oline in terms or time in the program was nearly identical to Iowas starting OL this past season. We went ahead and listed everyone with the added covid year and Iowa did not. 

Well good for Iowa, I guess? I'd still rather have a bunch of older & more experienced guys on the line.

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I tend to side with what guy is saying here.   The OLine definitely had some issues at times and could use some upgrades, but the yards per game isn’t a fluke.  I think we the coaches are addressing the offensive weaknesses this off-season with a few new OLine pieces and better QB options.   That should help in the red zone and with more sustained drives.  

I think that is why Raiola was brought in to develop what we have. I think the talent is there and we added two nice pieces and would bet we add another one after spring ball. I am happy you mentioned better QB options as I feel Martinez deserves just as much of the blame as people are putting on the O-line. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I tend to side with what guy is saying here.   The OLine definitely had some issues at times and could use some upgrades, but the yards per game isn’t a fluke.  I think we the coaches are addressing the offensive weaknesses this off-season with a few new OLine pieces and better QB options.   That should help in the red zone and with more sustained drives.  

I think this is where we see 2AM was both a blessing and a curse.  He was able to mask a ton of major issues on the O line.  And, as much as people are going to disagree with this, so did Frost's play calling. But, it was a curse in crunch time when, for whatever strange reason, both 2AM and play calling didn't work.

For this reason, I'm very glad Thompson is mobile.  He should have the ability to scramble when needed.  Hopefully, the O line is much better so he doesn't have to do it as much as 2AM did.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Maybe I've missed it on here, but what's the plan at Center?

I think it's pretty much try everyone who could play there, and settle on who fits best. If Teddy's back some people have been floating Corcoran, and then really any of the interior guys could do it. The switch to Center went really well for Farmer a few years ago, and Matt Farniok is on an NFL roster as a Center. Developing guys there is not as hard as we've made it look, I think Austin just never bothered developing a backup because Cam was good and any potential backups were more likely to be needed at G/T. 

Personally I like the sounds of Teddy at LT and Corcoran at C, but my guess is Nouili or Hixson. I think Lutovsky, Williams (transfer from Northern Colorado), and the losers of the Tackle battles are probably too big to be Centers and we'll find 2 Guards out of that group. Hixson has already played some Center, and Nouili was a pleasant surprise -for the most part.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, huskerpower22 said:

I think that is why Raiola was brought in to develop what we have. I think the talent is there and we added two nice pieces and would bet we add another one after spring ball. I am happy you mentioned better QB options as I feel Martinez deserves just as much of the blame as people are putting on the O-line. 

The o line was pretty embarrassing throughout the year, that being said, I actually put more of the scoring/redzone troubles on frosty/lubick and QB play moreso than the O line.  Clearly we could move the ball despite some s#!t a$$ O line fundamentals yet couldnt do s#!t to punch it in for 7. 

Too many head-scratching play calls/formations within the 10 yard line (100% on coaching) and too many errant throws and missed reads for wide open TD throws (2AM)

I'm really looking forward to some sound qb play for what feels like the first time in close to 14 years  

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it's pretty much try everyone who could play there, and settle on who fits best. If Teddy's back some people have been floating Corcoran, and then really any of the interior guys could do it. The switch to Center went really well for Farmer a few years ago, and Matt Farniok is on an NFL roster as a Center. Developing guys there is not as hard as we've made it look, I think Austin just never bothered developing a backup because Cam was good and any potential backups were more likely to be needed at G/T. 

Personally I like the sounds of Teddy at LT and Corcoran at C, but my guess is Nouili or Hixson. I think Lutovsky, Williams (transfer from Northern Colorado), and the losers of the Tackle battles are probably too big to be Centers and we'll find 2 Guards out of that group. Hixson has already played some Center, and Nouili was a pleasant surprise -for the most part.

I know Hixson has some experience there but if he's our starting C, we are f'ed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this is where we see 2AM was both a blessing and a curse.  He was able to mask a ton of major issues on the O line.  And, as much as people are going to disagree with this, so did Frost's play calling. But, it was a curse in crunch time when, for whatever strange reason, both 2AM and play calling didn't work.

For this reason, I'm very glad Thompson is mobile.  He should have the ability to scramble when needed.  Hopefully, the O line is much better so he doesn't have to do it as much as 2AM did.

This^^^
I think the play calling and situational decisions haven’t received their fair share of the blame. Whereas 2AM has received more than his share IMO. We all could easily see Adrian’s strengths and weaknesses. I have trouble blaming him for much when he so often wasn’t put in a position to succeed. He gave us everything he was capable of. There was too much play calling predicated on avoiding certain things and being left with no other options due to factors beyond his control. Straighten out the O line and the play calling and some RB and WR issues and 2AM would’ve been just fine. It’s a copout to simply blame him for not having the “it” factor in crunch time.

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Is there very many 6'6" centers? I worry that he may struggle with leverage because he's so tall and someone could easily get underneath him, 

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This^^^
I think the play calling and situational decisions haven’t received their fair share of the blame. Whereas 2AM has received more than his share IMO. We all could easily see Adrian’s strengths and weaknesses. I have trouble blaming him for much when he so often wasn’t put in a position to succeed. He gave us everything he was capable of. There was too much play calling predicated on avoiding certain things and being left with no other options due to factors beyond his control. Straighten out the O line and the play calling and some RB and WR issues and 2AM would’ve been just fine. It’s a copout to simply blame him for not having the “it” factor in crunch time.

Yep.

Prime example.  Mathew Stafford.  This is his 13th year in the NFL and this is only his 4th year making the playoffs.  He finally won a playoff game by dominating the competition.  He didn't all of a sudden become a great QB.  He finally got on a team that has good players around him.

I would put some of the blame on last minute drives to win games failures on the O line also.  OK....you're in a passing situation.  Everyone knows you're going to pass.  Frost has to call passing plays.  Way too often the defense was on top of 2AM before he could even make a pass.

Hopefully, that all improves so we aren't in as many last minute drives to win games this next year.  And...because we are actually winning.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ndobney said:

Do tell us of how great the special teams were as well.

No one on Earth would say our special teams were great. Why would they?

But to make this the equivalent of your comment, I'd have to say we need to replace all 11 players on the return team.

There is reason for optimism simply because it's hard to imagine special teams getting worse. There's reason for optimism on OL because new players, new coaches and new schemes will likely bring improvement to a team that had a Top 20 offense with situational problems. 

Does that make sense, Mr. Crabbypants? 

• Thanks 5
3 hours ago, Toe said:

Well good for Iowa, I guess? I'd still rather have a bunch of older & more experienced guys on the line.

I'm simply saying in the grand scheme of things we didn't have an extremely young OL compared to some of our peers and I don't like that excuse. In all actuality Frost and his staff did a terrible job when they arrived at recruiting enough competent depth at the OL spot. Which is obviously why we are where we are. 

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The o line was pretty embarrassing throughout the year, that being said, I actually put more of the scoring/redzone troubles on frosty/lubick and QB play moreso than the O line.  Clearly we could move the ball despite some s#!t a$$ O line fundamentals yet couldnt do s#!t to punch it in for 7. 

Too many head-scratching play calls/formations within the 10 yard line (100% on coaching) and too many errant throws and missed reads for wide open TD throws (2AM)

I'm really looking forward to some sound qb play for what feels like the first time in close to 14 years  

The line for the most part were all mostly below average except for a few notable players. Cam Jergens and  Ezra Miller were good. Matt Sichterman Ethan Piper and most notably Nouredin Nouili were serviceable and then we have Bryce Benhart and Turner Cochran.

Benhart and Corcoran were without a doubt the absolute worst starting tackle tandem in the power 5 and possibly all of division 1 football. They were simply abysmal and yet they each recorded over 700 snaps last year.

Of the 159 QB pressures Nebraska gave up last season, 99 were by Benhart and Corcoran. The entire rest of the team gave up 60.

Of the 29 sacks given up, 11 were from Benhart and Corcoran. The rest of the team gave up 18.

Of the 37 offensive penalties 12 were from Corcoran and Benhart.  The rest of the team gave up 25. (Jergens gave  up 6 and Sichterman had 4). Only 10 offensive penalties all season were made by a player that didn't play on the olie.

The left side of LT Ezra Miller and LG Nouredin Nouili will actually be pretty good. 

I Would put Piper at Center and then start with Bando at RG Prochazka at RT going into spring camp.

But RT, RG and every backup position is open for a real battle. Those guys have the edge and it will be at least serviceable. If Raiola can get one or two of these highly ranked and underachieving guys to play like they were projected to play this line could be really good. It will upgrade significantly with better tackle play alone. And it's nearly impossible for them to be as bad as last year. You can't go lower than a 0 grade and that's what Corcoran graded out at as a pass blocker last season. A 0.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-position-review-offensive-line

• Haha 2