Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

4 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

The line for the most part were all mostly below average except for a few notable players. Cam Jergens and  Ezra Miller were good. Matt Sichterman Ethan Piper and most notably Nouredin Nouili were serviceable and then we have Bryce Benhart and Turner Cochran.

Benhart and Corcoran were without a doubt the absolute worst starting tackle tandem in the power 5 and possibly all of division 1 football. They were simply abysmal and yet they each recorded over 700 snaps last year.

Of the 159 QB pressures Nebraska gave up last season, 99 were by Benhart and Corcoran. The entire rest of the team gave up 60.

Of the 29 sacks given up, 11 were from Benhart and Corcoran. The rest of the team gave up 18.

Of the 37 offensive penalties 12 were from Corcoran and Benhart.  The rest of the team gave up 25. (Jergens gave  up 6 and Sichterman had 4). Only 10 offensive penalties all season were made by a player that didn't play on the olie.

The left side of LT Ezra Miller and LG Nouredin Nouili will actually be pretty good. 

I Would put Piper at Center and then start with Bando at RG Prochazka at RT going into spring camp.

But RT, RG and every backup position is open for a real battle. Those guys have the edge and it will be at least serviceable. If Raiola can get one or two of these highly ranked and underachieving guys to play like they were projected to play this line could be really good. It will upgrade significantly with better tackle play alone. And it's nearly impossible for them to be as bad as last year. You can't go lower than a 0 grade and that's what Corcoran graded out at as a pass blocker last season. A 0.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-position-review-offensive-line

You would expect your tackles to give up the most qb pressures and sacks on your team. They face the other teams best pass rushers and most of the time one on one. I'm not saying they were good, they weren't, just not sure that those stats prove they were much worse than the rest of the line.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

I know Hixson has some experience there but if he's our starting C, we are f'ed.

I'm willing to wait and see - I don't know what they were being taught, but they were not being put in positions to succeed. IIRC he looked pretty solid as a freshman, and then looked worse each year. I think he'd probably be fine with better coaching - same with Piper, Corcoran, and Benhart. There's enough talent there.

42 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Is there very many 6'6" centers? I worry that he may struggle with leverage because he's so tall and someone could easily get underneath him, 

@WVhuskerXX beat me to it - I know he's listed at 6'6, but he's shorter. 6'6 is what you want your tackles to be, so that's what they get listed at if they're anywhere close. 

@Blackshirt316 - I don't think 32 snaps is enough to say Miller is good, and I'm a little skeptical of some of the specifics in their OL grading. Piper needs to show a lot of improvement before getting penciled back into the lineup, to me he looked about the same as the tackles. Benhart and Corcoran were terrible, no argument there - but they're both very talented and I expect better coaching (and competition) to bring out better results. Back to Miller, I don't think I've heard a peep about him being a LT - I think he's RT or G only. 

Kinda circling this back to the actual topic - I'd love another tackle from the portal, but I don't see one worth grabbing. And we made the wrong hire if Raiola can't get 2 serviceable tackles out of Corcoran, Benhart, Prochazka, Miller, Anthony, and Bando.

Just now, Husker03 said:

What’s our freshman TE room look like???

I lol'ed, mostly because it's already being reported that one of them (Androff) is moving to OL. He is actually 6'6 though, so not Center. 

33 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm willing to wait and see - I don't know what they were being taught, but they were not being put in positions to succeed. IIRC he looked pretty solid as a freshman, and then looked worse each year. I think he'd probably be fine with better coaching - same with Piper, Corcoran, and Benhart. There's enough talent there.

I think Piper, Corcoran and Benhart could be alright.  Especially Corcoran.  I'm not overly concerned about him. 

Hixson does not have the physical tools to be a P5 player, IMO.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No one on Earth would say our special teams were great. Why would they?

But to make this the equivalent of your comment, I'd have to say we need to replace all 11 players on the return team.

There is reason for optimism simply because it's hard to imagine special teams getting worse. There's reason for optimism on OL because new players, new coaches and new schemes will likely bring improvement to a team that had a Top 20 offense with situational problems. 

Does that make sense, Mr. Crabbypants? 

Curious, what marker are we using to claim we had a top 20 offense?  Feels like both yardage and scoring we were nowhere close to this kind of ranking

18 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We were 21st in YPG, T-16th in Yards per Play. Should lead to a lot higher than 71st in scoring, but didn't. 

Which suggests the substandard offensive line, unreliable quarterback and questionable play-caller still had the talent to work pretty well for 80 out of 100 yards of football field.

If it's a crime to be optimistic that small changes can make up that difference, I plead guilty. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Which suggests the substandard offensive line, unreliable quarterback and questionable play-caller still had the talent to work pretty well for 80 out of 100 yards of football field.

If it's a crime to be optimistic that small changes can make up that difference, I plead guilty. 

Yeah, if we had made our field goals we would have been 54 in scoring. Still need to improve in the red zone, but it feels like there is a foundation there. Of course if we had made our field goals we would have won more than three games and we didn't so......