Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

8 minutes ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Not sure how many scholarships are left but hearing a lot of Buzz about Omar coming to NU and same with Nesta Jade Silvera from Miami. Looking at the scholarship distribution chart provided by the OWH we have 90 on scholarship. This still includes Daniel Cerni who I have been told will medically retire. Other names I could see going back to a walk-on status to open up scholarship spots are Trent Hixon, Issac Gifford, Garrett Snodgrass, Wyatt Liewer, along with Jaquez Yant and Damien Jackson (I think those two will probably stay on Scholarship). Others I could see potentially hitting the portal are Eteva Mauga Clements, Mosai Newsome, Alex Conn, One of the 3 Redshirt freshman wideouts, and the 4th string QB. Maybe a RB too. 

Gifford was a promised a scholarship after his first year. Snodgrass was always scholarship. If Hixson isnt in the 2 deep he shouldnt have a scholarship. I have no problem with any of the others moving out to make room. I hope we get much more cutthroat in terms of moving non contributors out. You may have handful of guys that you see as long-term projects that you keep but you can't do it to your entire roster. 

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We have until April 1st to get down to 88 & 85 by fall practice.  A lot can happen by then.

It honestly isnt hard considering we are at 89 with Cerni medically retiring. If we have to pull a walk on scholarship or 2 for a semester to make numbers work we can. Also gives us flexibility in snagging a few more impact players from the portal. 

1 hour ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Not sure how many scholarships are left but hearing a lot of Buzz about Omar coming to NU and same with Nesta Jade Silvera from Miami. Looking at the scholarship distribution chart provided by the OWH we have 90 on scholarship. This still includes Daniel Cerni who I have been told will medically retire. Other names I could see going back to a walk-on status to open up scholarship spots are Trent Hixon, Issac Gifford, Garrett Snodgrass, Wyatt Liewer, along with Jaquez Yant and Damien Jackson (I think those two will probably stay on Scholarship). Others I could see potentially hitting the portal are Eteva Mauga Clements, Mosai Newsome, Alex Conn, One of the 3 Redshirt freshman wideouts, and the 4th string QB. Maybe a RB too. 

He's a really cool story.  But if it weren't for that cool story, I don't think anyone would work to hard to defend why he should be on scholarship if it didn't allow the team to pick up players that will help the team win.

• Plus1 2

I'm not sure if this could get pinned, but these are the incoming guys from the portal & JUCO.  Not too shabby!  :worship

Hunter Anthony - Okie State - T/G  (OL)
Kevin Williams - Northern Colo - T/G (OL)
Isiaha Garcia-Castaneda - NM State - WR
Trey Palmer - LSU - WR/PR/KR
Tommi Hill - Arizona State - DB (Corner)
Brian Buschini - Montana - P  (BOOMschini)
T Bleekrode - Furman - K
Casey Thompson - Texas - QB
Chubba Purdy - Florida State - QB
Deondre Jackson - Texas A&M - RB
Anthony Grant - NMMI - RB - JUCO
Javier Morton - DB - JUCO  (Corner)
DeShaun Singleton - DB - JUCO  (Safety)

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

He's a really cool story.  But if it weren't for that cool story, I don't think anyone would work to hard to defend why he should be on scholarship if it didn't allow the team to pick up players that will help the team win.

I agree. Damien Jackson can still have his school paid for by the GI Bill or through other veteran avenues and still play.

24 minutes ago, Decked said:

Silvera going to ASU. These portals are cool but unless we are gonna actually get some guys up front it doesn’t matter 

A NT would make me feel a lot better, but I'm not that worried about the DL as a whole. We've got a lot of DE depth, and Hutmacher got some good experience last year. Not sure who the #2 nose is though - Marquis Black? I know Jordon Riley and Ty Robinson have played there some, but both are pretty tall and Riley has been somewhat uninspiring at nose and end. Silvera would've been helpful, but I'm not losing sleep over the DL.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

A NT would make me feel a lot better, but I'm not that worried about the DL as a whole. We've got a lot of DE depth, and Hutmacher got some good experience last year. Not sure who the #2 nose is though - Marquis Black? I know Jordon Riley and Ty Robinson have played there some, but both are pretty tall and Riley has been somewhat uninspiring at nose and end. Silvera would've been helpful, but I'm not losing sleep over the DL.

DL got their lunch ate without Daniels. I wouldn’t take any chances. Neither was the staff. 

• Plus1 7

Question for those who watched the DL play in more detail this year than I did (I often had to stream games so couldn't rewind to review "what went wrong on that one").

Based on what you saw:

1. How much of this is on "the guy" at NT?

2. How much of this is based our attempt to use 3 DL (and 2 OLB's) against opposing Big OL's (often with Big TE's) allowing their run blockers to outnumber double-team our 3 DL?

I appreciate wanting 2 Edge Rushers on passing downs, but if you asked me about personnel on running downs (especially against Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, etc.), my instinct is that having Casey Rogers on the field is likely a superior option to Caleb Tannor (or other OLB).

Thoughts?  Perceptions? 

1 hour ago, admo said:

I'm not sure if this could get pinned, but these are the incoming guys from the portal & JUCO.  Not too shabby!  :worship

Hunter Anthony - Okie State - T/G  (OL)
Kevin Williams - Northern Colo - T/G (OL)
Isiaha Garcia-Castaneda - NM State - WR
Trey Palmer - LSU - WR/PR/KR
Tommi Hill - Arizona State - DB (Corner)
Brian Buschini - Montana - P  (BOOMschini)
T Bleekrode - Furman - K
Casey Thompson - Texas - QB
Chubba Purdy - Florida State - QB
Deondre Jackson - Texas A&M - RB
Anthony Grant - NMMI - RB - JUCO
Javier Morton - DB - JUCO  (Corner)
DeShaun Singleton - DB - JUCO  (Safety)

I don’t know why there isn’t a dedicated thread for portal and juco pick ups just like for the yearly recruiting classes. I’d do it but there are a lot of others who follow it much more closely than I do.

• Fire 1