Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Exactly. There is no reason - NONE - why we can't be on the level of Wisconsin. 

during our time in the B1G we have recruited well enough to play for the B1G championship 80% of the time. Every year but this last year I believe we have been ranked the top class in the West. EVEN with losing season on top of losing season we have been able to use the N to bring in high enough level talent to compete for conference titles. The fact we havent is a complete joke at this point. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am content with being a top 25 program with an occasional top 10 team every few years. I honestly feel like that may be our ceiling now. 

This would be teams like Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, etc.

I'd be pretty excited to follow that after the past decade...

Just now, funhusker said:

This would be teams like Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, etc.

I'd be pretty excited to follow that after the past decade...

I just dont see us getting back to being a top 10 team every single year. Maybe I am wrong and Mickey and Busch can get our talent level back to elite across the board but I would think we need a few more recruiters at their level as well as massive booster NIL support to get that to happen. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I just dont see us getting back to being a top 10 team every single year. Maybe I am wrong and Mickey and Busch can get our talent level back to elite across the board but I would think we need a few more recruiters at their level as well as massive booster NIL support to get that to happen. 

I'm with you.  I'd consider consistent top 10 teams to be Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Clemson, OSU.  I don't see the Huskers getting to that echelon any time soon.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm afraid Nebraska might be too far gone to ever be an elite college football program again, so what I think should happen doesn't even factor into the equation anymore for me.

I'm hopeful that having a QB that has a track record of taking care of the football will translate into a winning record.  And that's about as much as I can realistically hope for at this point.

This line of thought is just ridiculous.  We aren't "too far gone to ever be elite again".  Really, a blue blood or any team that has been viewed as one in the last 50 years is really never "too far gone".

You need the right support, right coaching staff and right players and all of a sudden you're back.  Look at how long it had been for Georgia since they won an NC.  Heck, we have beat them in the last 10 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Being enamored by recruiting rankings is a flawed method of expectations. Recruiting rankings for top 10-15 show some stability and conference title contenders. Outside of top 10-15 is a crapshoot. The high level of talent Frost, and others, has landed has not faired well - Wandale being the exception. Otherwise it’s 90% of guys who washed out or never moved the needle.

Lotta people want to compare us to Wisconsin or Iowa who built their program on identity and culture with 3* guys and 30-40th ranked programs. Frost admitted (to Benning recently) that he messed up by trying to win early and not focus on building the culture and team development.

This last season was a turnaround from prior seasons lack of effort from players giving up in a game and on the team. We’ll see if it was that just this year alone - which would lead to Frost’s departure prior to his guaranteed salary bump - or if indeed knows what he’s doing and has the team progressing.

edit: 1st paragraph. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This line of thought is just ridiculous.  We aren't "too far gone to ever be elite again".  Really, a blue blood or any team that has been viewed as one in the last 50 years is really never "too far gone".

You need the right support, right coaching staff and right players and all of a sudden you're back.  Look at how long it had been for Georgia since they won an NC.  Heck, we have beat them in the last 10 years.

I concur. If anything this program is ripe for a massive turn around. There's no shortage of money, facilities, and support. Plus talent and S&C haven't been an issue since Frost's first year. If anything our S&C program is right where it needs to be to compete with the top programs.

We just need the right people on the bus to turn it around and hopefully we've found that with the Offensive coaching changes.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

100% accurate. This defeatist attitude shows more on the individual speaking than the situation at hand. Georgia is a great example and I would throw in Michigan last season. They went from zero to hero in a similar situation to ours. Like you mentioned it takes leadership and the right players to make things click. Every good CEO learns from their mistakes and moves on to improve their product. Look at the revamped recruiting methods we are utilizing this offseason. We are attacking the portal for direct needs and have put an emphasis on recruiting the 500 mile radius again. Mickey is in Omaha again today visiting schools where we have let players get away. No one should have anything negative to say, as this offseason has been extremely positive for progression both on the field and in football recruiting relationships. 

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Frost admitted (to Benning recently) that he messed up by trying to win early and not focus on building the culture and team development.

Really? He said that?  Because he was telling us then that it was only about culture. 

a little revisionist history perhaps. 

and I think that there is enough physical talent to go around to most div one teams- which I guess what the stars represent. 90%+ of d1 probably posses similar size/strength/speed relative to possession. The upper echelon are freaks and I guess the goal is to get as many freaks as possible. 

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Really? He said that?  Because he was telling us then that it was only about culture. 

a little revisionist history perhaps. 

and I think that there is enough physical talent to go around to most div one teams- which I guess what the stars represent. 90%+ of d1 probably posses similar size/strength/speed relative to possession. The upper echelon are freaks and I guess the goal is to get as many freaks as possible. 

Yep, Petey Pablo had it right all those years ago. 

• Plus1 1