Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

21 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

Maybe the coaches haven't pursued OL very hard because 1. Riola wants to see what he is working with and 2. Frost and the other coaches think that there is a lot more talent/ability then what we fans think

If you want to see what you are working with it doesn't hurt to bring in a few guys. Frost and his opinion on what we have isn't worth much. He said he thought special teams were fine also have you heard of a guy named Joe Burrow

49 minutes ago, ndobney said:

If you want to see what you are working with it doesn't hurt to bring in a few guys. Frost and his opinion on what we have isn't worth much. He said he thought special teams were fine also have you heard of a guy named Joe Burrow

They have brought in 2 OL though, why does everyone act they haven’t brought any OL in?

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, caveman99 said:

They have brought in 2 OL though, why does everyone act they haven’t brought any OL in?

The offensive linemen brought in haven't been as publicized. Maybe that can be factored in. And sometimes, people's comments are emotional in nature where there can be absences of facts. Having said that, I'm of the opinion that it would be in our interest to add if we have the opportunity. 

12 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Does a walkon from Northern Colorado and a backup from OK State really make you think we got some big ten ready plug in players? That's the point.

Not that I really expected us to be in on any guys like that, but bringing in all skill guys with the same line leaves more questions than answers.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, M.A. said:

The offensive linemen brought in haven't been as publicized. Maybe that can be factored in. And sometimes, people's comments are emotional in nature where there can be absences of facts. Having said that, I'm of the opinion that it would be in our interest to add if we have the opportunity. 

I don’t disagree that it would be nice to add another OL transfer, but I don’t get the doom and gloom perspective on the OL in general. They recruiting rankings of the players in the room are pretty high, indications are that the cupboard isn’t bare. Who knows if the issues they had at OT were because of coaching or if those guys should be interior players, but they have a new coach who will evaluate and won’t play favorites. There are also guys who have had 1-2 years in the strength program now who will get a shot as well.

In addition they added a former Oklahoma State OT with a fair bit of starting experience and another OG/OT option with multiple years starting at the FCS level. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

We need 5. Our lineman whiff more than Screech from Saved by the Bell. If Martinez wasn't so good at running for his life things would have been way worse. Even then did you see all the injuries done to Martinez unacceptable work upfront we need 5 new lineman

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Does a walkon from Northern Colorado and a backup from OK State really make you think we got some big ten ready plug in players? That's the point.

Not that I really expected us to be in on any guys like that, but bringing in all skill guys with the same line leaves more questions than answers.

I don’t believe he was a walk on and I think he was in trouble for having a weapon?  The Oklahoma state guy is a plug n play player. Oklahoma state isn’t a bad program 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Both players have a fair bit of starting experience. Hunter Anthony was the starter at RT for OSU until he got hurt. OSU had recruited pretty well and Hunter wasn’t able to re-win his spot back last season. Who knows what happens if he stays healthy as he lost a year of snaps, and he still got PT as a backup and in heavy sets this past season. He gets a new start with a new coach and another year of strength training, seems like he could be a good add at RT. Williams comes from UNC yes, but he started for a couple years there and had several D1 suitors so his tape must have been pretty good. We just had a WR from FCS who worked out pretty well, it isn’t unheard of that a FCS player coming up and being a good player. We weren’t the only D1 team in on him, we simply won out because NU is his home state school, but I would say that SF and CO weren’t the only ones who see potential in him.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ndobney said:

We need 5. Our lineman whiff more than Screech from Saved by the Bell. If Martinez wasn't so good at running for his life things would have been way worse. Even then did you see all the injuries done to Martinez unacceptable work upfront we need 5 new lineman

Teddy was doing damn good and it’s not like they were abysmal. There is talent there. Trust in the new coach 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, ndobney said:

No we don’t, the OT’s didn’t grade out well, but on the interior they were a bit better. Everyone needs stop acting like there is zero talent in the OL room, recruiting rankings alone tell a vastly different story. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

No we don’t, the OT’s didn’t grade out well, but on the interior they were a bit better. Everyone needs stop acting like there is zero talent in the OL room, recruiting rankings alone tell a vastly different story. 

It’s easier for them to say we suck. It fits the fire frost narrative more.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
53 minutes ago, ndobney said:

As much as I think Austin held a significant part of the blame, I still look at how horribly slow the feet were on all our OT's and have to think that if Duval doesn't find a better measurement of success than "max squat weight", then Raiola is still fvcked.  That whole OL (and their concrete feet) could use a full month of dedicated skipping rope time to try to improve their twitch and agility. Then start slowly rebuilding strength and mass from there. 

• Fire 1
On 1/21/2022 at 11:30 AM, ZRod said:

I concur. If anything this program is ripe for a massive turn around. There's no shortage of money, facilities, and support. Plus talent and S&C haven't been an issue since Frost's first year. If anything our S&C program is right where it needs to be to compete with the top programs.

We just need the right people on the bus to turn it around and hopefully we've found that with the Offensive coaching changes.

LOL…No

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

I don’t disagree that it would be nice to add another OL transfer, but I don’t get the doom and gloom perspective on the OL in general. They recruiting rankings of the players in the room are pretty high, indications are that the cupboard isn’t bare. Who knows if the issues they had at OT were because of coaching or if those guys should be interior players, but they have a new coach who will evaluate and won’t play favorites. There are also guys who have had 1-2 years in the strength program now who will get a shot as well.

In addition they added a former Oklahoma State OT with a fair bit of starting experience and another OG/OT option with multiple years starting at the FCS level. 

I think its a combination. It's been said that much of it can be attributed to coaching. It sure seems to me that the offensive line should've been performing better as the season progressed. I just hope Riaola is a guy that can bring out the best in them. In some ways I think that they were coming around. Think that the offensive line could be very good. Not out of the gate. But they've got to be demonstrating real progress. Offensive line play is quite a bit more complex than most appreciate I think.