Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'll give the staff credit. I think they absolutely did the best they possibility could with landing players from the portal. I don't think they could've reasonably done better. 

Will that be good enough? I personally don't think so. Without improved OLine play, it doesn't matter what talent we have at receiver or QB. If our starting QB is running for his life every 3rd passing attempt, we're going to struggle. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'll give the staff credit. I think they absolutely did the best they possibility could with landing players from the portal. I don't think they could've reasonably done better. 

Will that be good enough? I personally don't think so. Without improved OLine play, it doesn't matter what talent we have at receiver or QB. If our starting QB is running for his life every 3rd passing attempt, we're going to struggle. 

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when you see a good coordinator call offensive plays.  It's been a while since we've had one.  Good coordinators can hide issues and magnify strengths. 

Whipple is some sort of sorcerer...

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when you see a good coordinator call offensive plays.  It's been a while since we've had one.  Good coordinators can hide issues and magnify strengths. 

Whipple is some sort of sorcerer...

Frost is a high level coordinator. His issue has been he surrounded himself with people who had far too many flaws and weaknesses that he wasnt able to cover up at the P5 level in my opinion. 

• Plus1 6
9 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Without improved OLine play, it doesn't matter what talent we have at receiver or QB. If our starting QB is running for his life every 3rd passing attempt, we're going to struggle. 

Devil's advocate, we should totally expect better o-line play this year. I mean, we couldn't have revamped it any more in any other way. New coach, 2/5 positions brought in as upperclassman from portal.. Our most gifted o-line guys are young and coming off injury, so most able to be improved by better coaching and another year of S and C.  If we can create a center somewhere, I am very optimistic about improvement. Now, do I think we will even be a top 1/2 o-line in the B10? Maybe, but I would be pretty happy hitting in that 6-9 ranked version compared to what we rolled out in 2021.

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

Devil's advocate, we should totally expect better o-line play this year. I mean, we couldn't have revamped it any more in any other way. New coach, 2/5 positions brought in as upperclassman from portal.. Our most gifted o-line guys are young and coming off injury, so most able to be improved by better coaching and another year of S and C.  If we can create a center somewhere, I am very optimistic about improvement. Now, do I think we will even be a top 1/2 o-line in the B10? Maybe, but I would be pretty happy hitting in that 6-9 ranked version compared to what we rolled out in 2021.

My expectations for the program are so low that I just want to see them properly execute a punt 5 times in a row without committing a game ending blunder.

I have doubts about the Oline after they just lost their only good player, the center who had to pull to help both tackles block on various plays.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I have doubts about the Oline after they just lost their only good player, the center who had to pull to help both tackles block on various plays.

Agreed.  I know he did what he felt best for him but I think his decision was the wrong one and I certainly feel a lot better about the 2022 line with him in the fold. Time will tell, but ya. That was a big hit. 

6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many top 10 offenses has Whipple coached in his career? 

As a coordinator in college?  In the NFL?  As a head coach?  The dudes forgotten more about the game than frost knows.

I couldn't care less how well UMASS did offensively in an arbitrary season...or anything like that.  

Not that this really matters...because players change and sos changes, but Pitt was 11th this year in yards per point and 16th in points per play.

Nebraska was 111th and 71st in those categories. 

The guy can coach, has proven it at every level, with high success going back to his head coaching job at new haven where they were dubbed the best offense in all of college football.. that was a long time ago.  Whipple will be a much better play caller and, regardless of yards, we will score way more efficiently than under frost.