Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

49 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Why is he such a big deal? He’s a 3* who’s averaging 3 sacks a season in a pass happy conference.

1. He has 15.5 sacks in 3 years of playing...covid also cut short 2 games in 2020 *5 per year*
  2. We only had 1 player have over 2 sacks last year (Nelson with 5)
  3. It would help us move to some 4 man fronts if we have him. Interchange with Nelson/Tannor/Gunnerson 
  • Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, C-4 said:

Why is he such a big deal? He’s a 3* who’s averaging 3 sacks a season in a pass happy conference.

He was a 3* in high school, aka 5 years ago. Now he's a two-time 2nd team All-Big 12 player at a position we need playmakers at. 

Bringing up the stars of a player out of high school when they've been playing at a higher level for years is hilariously stupid. Imagine if the Seahawks didn't want Richard Sherman in 2011 because he was a 2 star recruit in 2005 :lol: 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Farms said:

Kinda sucks that we're getting to the day and age where it's literally coming down to the highest bidder to sign kids.

You do realize that the SEC (and remnants of the SWC--see Pony Excess and SMU) have been doing this for decades already, yes? 

Doesn't mean it's right or good for the sport that it's out in the open or happening at all--just saying this is not a new development, just one that's been exposed to the world and "legalized".

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

You do realize that the SEC (and remnants of the SWC--see Pony Excess and SMU) have been doing this for decades already, yes? 

Doesn't mean it's right or good for the sport that it's out in the open or happening at all--just saying this is not a new development, just one that's been exposed to the world and "legalized".

Yea I realize but you're talking about a select few players, bag men dropping some bags of cash with $10k or a nice car for mamma.  Now we're talking about almost every single player and we're talking about probably having to basically pay $100k to get a grad transfer defensive end who is maybe above average, certainly not a superstar.  Or a million dollars to get a 5 star QB.  Just seems like players are going to be basing their education and future to a certain extent on making a few extra dollars at one school vs another.  This is totally different than what has went on in the past and really not comparable.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

I think if anything this helps Nebraska given our large fanbase and the disadvantage we are at geographically

You might think that but so far Nebraska is behind in the NIL race.  There are a lot of schools that are basically buying their recruiting class and we are not there.  Hopefully some big businesses can step up to the plate and we can keep pace with the other schools. But by all means if we can use it to our advantage and it can help bring us back to the top, then I will be 100% supportive of it haha.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Farms said:

You might think that but so far Nebraska is behind in the NIL race.  There are a lot of schools that are basically buying their recruiting class and we are not there.  Hopefully some big businesses can step up to the plate and we can keep pace with the other schools. But by all means if we can use it to our advantage and it can help bring us back to the top, then I will be 100% supportive of it haha.

With Texas A&M boosters shelling a reported $30M to buy the top recruiting class for 2022 I don't see NU keeping up with that kind of spending, ever, unless Buffett has major change of heart. But I can see a lot of kids being cast off after a year or two in these high spending programs so maybe we can grab a few in the portal in the coming years.

It makes me sad to see where college football has ended up.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

With Texas A&M boosters shelling a reported $30M to buy the top recruiting class for 2022 I don't see NU keeping up with that kind of spending, ever, unless Buffett has major change of heart. But I can see a lot of kids being cast off after a year or two in these high spending programs so maybe we can grab a few in the portal in the coming years.

It makes me sad to see where college football has ended up.

I just wonder how it's going to work when they spend all this money on these recruits and they never play a down for the program.  I know boosters are willing to throw around some stupid money but you'd think at some point they're going to want to guarantee at least some return on their investment.