Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

11 minutes ago, Toe said:

Do we seriously not have any other/better options for O-linemen than a Cavanaugh reject? :facepalm:

I am probably in the minority here, but I'm far more concerned about DL than OL. I thought DL was thin but had potential to be decent, but once Rogers hit the portal, I flipped to the urgent side on that one.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I am probably in the minority here, but I'm far more concerned about DL than OL. I thought DL was thin but had potential to be decent, but once Rogers hit the portal, I flipped to the urgent side on that one.

I agree IF we stay healthy. Without Teddy and Turner (I'm sure they will be back and fine) we would be horrible. 

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, theknife said:

We definitely need the OTs to get healthy, but I'm not going to panic over a scrimmage in which the Oline was shuffling a lot of players around to find the best 5. 

On a non-tackle game at that..allowed Nelson & Co. to rush rush rush

• Plus1 2

When is the last time a player entered the program in the fall and contributed?  I think Mathis is a guy they can put out there & turn loose on the QB, but I wouldn't expect much from any other options, & frankly I feel any kid transferring post spring lacks a certain level of commitment to play.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, theknife said:

We definitely need the OTs to get healthy, but I'm not going to panic over a scrimmage in which the Oline was shuffling a lot of players around to find the best 5. 

Yeah the scrimmage was weak.  But the 3 times I watched it (focusing on OL and DL), I have to say I was very pleased about Kevin Williams playing guard. I would be OK with him at RG (Nouili is LG).  Fall camp will get interesting, turning up the heat with competition for spots.

Also noticed that Nash is strong, but his feet are so slow, and doesn't have much lateral movement.  So I hope we can grab another Nose/DT in the portal. Especially since the interior Dlinemen need rotations in order to handle the physicality the position demands.  Looking at the final 5-6 games on schedule, there will be a lot of running plays with double teams for sure.  Unless we're kicking some butt and force them to pass lol.

18 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

frankly I feel any kid transferring post spring lacks a certain level of commitment to play.  

Huh?  I think a kid sticking it out at his current school through spring shows he was committed and did everything to earn his spot on the current roster.  Post spring if things aren't working out, try to transfer to find the next best option.  Not sure how that translates to not being committed to play?  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

As BIG ERN and Decked have pointed out, as long as our tackles stay healthy I feel decent about the OL at the very least

But we don't seem to have any depth at tackle, and haven't for years. It's tough to make it through a full B1G season at any position. We have to focus on building depth along the line no matter who the coaches are.

• Plus1 3