Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If they get that Bama DT and the UF DT...they are set.  That will give them 4-5 deep on the DL.  That would be impressive considering where they were.

Can we give the D a rest and focus on the O now? Always need a good O to finish strong.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty pleased by the portal gets - esp of late securing the 2 DL guys.  That was my biggest concern on D.  It would be a big plus if we find someone who can contribute immediately on the OL.  Wishful thinking here: I hope the new OL coach can make the difference and our existing players can step up to a new level.  

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, Decked said:

Seems pretty telling that we haven’t pursed another OL target up until this point. Now…that may be because of DL concerns and lack of quality targets..

It sounds like we would be interested in an OT but there just aren't many legit options and the ones that were there had other interests.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Still need players better than what we have.

I really think a lot of the problems have been scheme (lack of) and coaching.  Upgrades all around IMO.  Raiola is the question mark, but by all accounts from the players and even Frosts they are looking like they are actually being taught (allowed) to block.   

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, lo country said:

I really think a lot of the problems have been scheme (lack of) and coaching.  Upgrades all around IMO.  Raiola is the question mark, but by all accounts from the players and even Frosts they are looking like they are actually being taught (allowed) to block.   

Others have already debunked that line of thinking.  It's not that they didn't used to be allowed to block and are now firing off the ball all of a sudden, that's all spring coach speak.  When you run a lot of rpo/designed pass plays your lineman can't just drive forward every single play and then have the play be a pass,  that's asking for a penalty with lineman down the field.  It's scheme related and they do what they're told.  Run plays are blocked differently, this isn't binary.

Here is what both we and Pitt did last year (credit to @J-MAGICand his newsletter here for the graphic and leg work)

Screenshot_20220331-082706_Gmail.thumb.jpg.2dacbe778221185751e5c9eeb4b142b5.jpg

We ran close to 60% rpo/pass where lineman are catching or redirecting rushers and not firing off the ball by design.  Pitt was at 72%, we shall see what we get this fall.  That's a lot more pass blocking than firing 3 yards off the line right away. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Agree with lack coaching with Austin, but Raiola deserves his time.  And the spring game proved nothing as we have better players being held out.

3 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Agree with lack coaching with Austin, but Raiola deserves his time.  And the spring game proved nothing as we have better players being held out.

As excited as I was for it to be on the B1G Network, I think I made it through about 15 minutes.  I could not tell very much.  It "was football", but like you said, so many guys out, 2 hand touch to start, very vanilla.