Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

33 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Others have already debunked that line of thinking.  It's not that they didn't used to be allowed to block and are now firing off the ball all of a sudden, that's all spring coach speak.  When you run a lot of rpo/designed pass plays your lineman can't just drive forward every single play and then have the play be a pass,  that's asking for a penalty with lineman down the field.  It's scheme related and they do what they're told.  Run plays are blocked differently, this isn't binary.

Here is what both we and Pitt did last year (credit to @J-MAGICand his newsletter here for the graphic and leg work)

Screenshot_20220331-082706_Gmail.thumb.jpg.2dacbe778221185751e5c9eeb4b142b5.jpg

We ran close to 60% rpo/pass where lineman are catching or redirecting rushers and not firing off the ball by design.  Pitt was at 72%, we shall see what we get this fall.  That's a lot more pass blocking than firing 3 yards off the line right away. 

I know what scheme and stats show, but it seems like the players and even Frost spoke multiple times about blocking was much improved.  One comment I didn't like was (paraphrase) Frost said they were firing off like he wanted or something to that effect.  1)As the HC, why did it take 4 years or 2) If it was scheme as you pointed out (and I agree with) why didn't you as OC/HC change it or adjust......Bottom line, regardless of how improved we are at the skill positions, if the OL can't control the LOS, we will struggle.  

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Decked said:

Rumors swirling from guys on the radio that we have added/adding another skill position guy. hot names include Marcus Washington from Texas & Deion Smith from LSU. 

Deion Smith is super talented, he’d sure take the sting off losing Betts.. Washington would seem to be the more likely candidate though.  

6 hours ago, Farms said:

Deion Smith is super talented, he’d sure take the sting off losing Betts.. Washington would seem to be the more likely candidate though.  

Unless Betts changes his mind and the coaches agree to take him back. That may not happen, but you never know. 

• Haha 1

Kaine Williams might be a good pickup based on our roster at safety. Buford should be solid (hasn't played yet). Farmer is very iffy. P Gates never panned out. Might need to move Gifford there and let Kolaravic play nickel. Singleton hopefully can pick up his play and could challenge Farmer. Wright and Bretz have injury/health issues. 

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Kaine Williams might be a good pickup based on our roster at safety. Buford should be solid (hasn't played yet). Farmer is very iffy. P Gates never panned out. Might need to move Gifford there and let Kolaravic play nickel. Singleton hopefully can pick up his play and could challenge Farmer. Wright and Bretz have injury/health issues. 

So, we are going to be good?

5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

If kolaravic is playing nickle the defense is in big trouble

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

If kolaravic is playing nickle the defense is in big trouble

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I can't wrap my brain around that either.  But that's where they had him this spring.  :dunno

It's my understanding that Jojo played that role because he was talented enough to be able to cover a slot WR and also play the run. I believe the staff said replacing him might involve playing more nickle with a DB and Kolaravic when teams are in the I or pro set looks.  Javin Wright is also a player to watch now that he is cleared, he is supposed to fit that spot well. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I can't wrap my brain around that either.  But that's where they had him this spring.  :dunno

I don't see why people see it this way. JoJo and Kolaravic are the same height, weight, and athleticism. You think Gifford is faster than Kolaravic? 

For reference JoJo ran a 4.63 at the combine. 

36 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I don't see why people see it this way. JoJo and Kolaravic are the same height, weight, and athleticism. You think Gifford is faster than Kolaravic? 

For reference JoJo ran a 4.63 at the combine. 

Kolarevic tested well last spring, but it was his 38 inch vert and strength numbers that had him at the top of the performance index. He wasn't on the pro agility leaderboard or the 10 yard split, and Jojo made both of those top tens despite being 20 to 30 pounds heavier than most of the other guys for those events. They do not have the same athleticism in testing, and there is also a difference between testing numbers and what shows up on the field. Jojo played faster than 4.63, and had some fluidity to him. Kolarevic can probably run faster than a 4.63, but I don't think he can break with receivers at all. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1