Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

6 hours ago, Decked said:

The only people who say stars don’t matter are the fan bases of those schools not winning championships. Iowa & Wisconsin are the exceptions and not the norm. 

Yes Iowa and Wisconsin are consistent in winning more games than they lose and are going to bowls every year. But those two programs  can only go so far with their lack of great talent and are nowhere near OSU and company. Nebraska definitely needs to continue to step up recruiting — and improve coaching. Having  seven or eight wins would be a good start, but the fans in this state in general demand top 10 finishes every year and an occasional conference championship, in addition to once-in-awhile be in contention for a national title. But even before 1993, for those of you who remember, Osborne’s success was not enough for many Husker fans. But that was totally forgotten because of Osborne’s final five years. But he was constantly criticized for failing to win the big games and being labeled second fiddle to Oklahoma and Switzer. 

• Plus1 4

20 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frankly, most of the recruiting has been non-productive lately.  Lots of hype but mostly duds. Make reported offers in the 400 per year range and struggling to land 20 when the dust settles.  Usually was a late flurry of three or four that seemed to ‘fix’ the class in ‘star ratings’ for the media to suggest ‘we’re back’ but several fail to come, grades ?, homesick after a few months, etc.  

After 4 years, it seems to make the shine is gone off Frost and those recruiting visits aren’t coming much.  We are still focused on SE (AB, GA, FL) and have lost out on too many guys from right near Lincoln.  ‘Day by day’ should have been ‘Year by year’ by building the heart and soul (culture) locally in the lines, LBs and TEs, RBs, etc.  Instead, the focus has been the ‘flashy’ WRs and QBs. Those are the least important to building the foundation.  Now, scraping the bottom of the barrel for any kind of DL and very sad. 8 QBs - only one or two will actually play while need at least 6 ready to rotate DL.  Probably have 4, maybe.  Same on O line.  

Got to recruit and keep.  All the recruiting ‘over ‘ talk doesn’t encourage duration and development.  Roles and longevity with a plan the players see and understand.  The team motto used to be ‘where the good get better’ and now it’s ‘no fear of failure’.  That kind of sums it all up.  

And we are still seeing the results of lack of development and misses for sure.  Hard to make up ground when each year we seem to start from scratch.

40 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

GT has the inside track on Wynn. If he didn't commit to us this weekend I don't expect him to.

We shall see. Would really like to get him. Believe it was a GT writer and not a national guy for the prediction. 

20 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

Agreed, I don’t take what they say as gospel until a National guy talks… even then I dunno 

Most of the national guys are a little better. They dont put info in unless they feel decently confident 

11 minutes ago, theknife said:

Anyone know if their is a timeline for Wynn to announce? I haven't seen any reports on how the visit went.  If we set a visit with the JUCO kid, I think that would be pretty telling. 

Potentially as soon as this week. Went very well. Couldn’t get a read on favorites. No visit set with the JUCO guy as of yet. You’re likely correct that if he visits/sets a visit we are out of the Wynn sweepstakes. 

47 minutes ago, theknife said:

Anyone know if their is a timeline for Wynn to announce? I haven't seen any reports on how the visit went.  If we set a visit with the JUCO kid, I think that would be pretty telling. 

I know the staff wants all the players to be here by next week so I would assume we would know something soon...

This is so impressive of Clemson.  My guess is they get out 200 offers each year.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2022/05/16/clemson-coach-pokes-fun-at-transfer-portal/

This might be an interesting trend to watch over the next 5-7 years to see who is successful and who isn't.  My guess is that winning can come in a variety of ways.  In the end though, our path seems very laborious and difficult to duplicate.