Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

What does it say about Frost’s ‘eye’ for WR talent when our best receiver, so far, is a transfer from Dakota, out of small bus load of guys?  And still recruiting them with so many other positions with inadequate depth or ify starters.  

I really dont recall that many issues with his receivers costing us games. Other areas of much greater value and need imo.  

I haven't been impressed with his eye for offensive linemen, either. He wanted tall guys... perhaps he's better suited for basketball?

34 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I haven't been impressed with his eye for offensive linemen, either. He wanted tall guys... perhaps he's better suited for basketball?

I think the main issue is, and in fact I know this because my brother was one of them, is they recruited frames and thought they could develop them into good football players..  And in turn passed on many guys that were good football players just because they weren't 6'5.... This is probably over simplifiing it but I feel like they were trying to hit home runs with their lineman.  Recruitng a 6'7 tight end and make him an athletic tackle is a good idea in theory but very few of there projects have turned out. Maybe it's just me but it seems that their attitude has shifted on this a bit which is a good thing.  

2 hours ago, Farms said:

I think the main issue is, and in fact I know this because my brother was one of them, is they recruited frames and thought they could develop them into good football players..  And in turn passed on many guys that were good football players just because they weren't 6'5.... This is probably over simplifiing it but I feel like they were trying to hit home runs with their lineman.  Recruitng a 6'7 tight end and make him an athletic tackle is a good idea in theory but very few of there projects have turned out. Maybe it's just me but it seems that their attitude has shifted on this a bit which is a good thing.  

Eh ... I think you're focusing on one recruit and ignoring a lot of others.

• Plus1 4
41 minutes ago, Farms said:

I really don't think I am.  Fritzsche, Matt Anderson, Banks, Branson Yager, Michael Lynn.. All 6'7 and not a one other than Banks ever touched the field.  And I was literally in the room when they recruiting my brother to walk-on because of his frame when you truthfully you probably could have found 10 offensive lineman that were better football players than him just in this state.  I sat in the room while they measured him up and told him how they were going to put x amount of weight on him and move him from tackle to guard and he would be an athletic guard and so on.  Now I understand that this is common that usually your best high school lineman play tackle and they aren't going to play tackle in college.  But I think it's pretty clear we took chances on guys that they viewed as higher cieling players vs. maybe taking some in state guys that were argueably better players just because they weren't tall enough for their liking. 

Hopefully that was an Austin thing and Raiola has a different focus, guess we'll see. Kinda ironic if so considering Austin was not exactly ideal measurements himself, although he didn't play tackle and it seems like the idea was get guys who had a chance to be great tackles, and if they didn't work out shove them down to guard.

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... I think you're focusing on one recruit and ignoring a lot of others.

And I think you could point other positions besides offensive lineman where you see some of the same.  And for that matter I think you could say this extends beyond this staff.  I just think of Harrison Phillips and Bryson Williams not being a "fit".  I'm a believer that at the college level you just get the best players you possibly can regardless of size and they'll find their way on the field.  

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Hopefully that was an Austin thing and Raiola has a different focus, guess we'll see. Kinda ironic if so considering Austin was not exactly ideal measurements himself, although he didn't play tackle and it seems like the idea was get guys who had a chance to be great tackles, and if they didn't work out shove them down to guard.

If you want my opinion I think it stemmed from Frost.  I'm sure it's not exactly all black and white and like I said this is only an opinion.  But I think we got pushed around and ran over by Wisconsin and Minnesota right off the get and he thought we could recruit a bunch of size in the form of height and make a massive line.  However what we ended up with was a lot of piss poor lineman along with a pretty high percentage of busts among the guys they've recruited.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Farms said:

And I think you could point other positions besides offensive lineman where you see some of the same.  And for that matter I think you could say this extends beyond this staff.  I just think of Harrison Phillips and Bryson Williams not being a "fit".  I'm a believer that at the college level you just get the best players you possibly can regardless of size and they'll find their way on the field.  

It's always easy to point back at the misses because they're easy to identify.  How many other guys were not offered for something along the same lines and that ended up being correct call?

I generally agree that you want the best players.  But long arms on offensive linemen is a pretty coveted trait all over the country at all levels of football.  So players who have that trait are going to get more of the benefit of the doubt.  That's just the way it is.

And it's pretty convenient of you to keep pointing out the misses without making any mention of the fact that the reason they weren't seeing the field is because the guys that were better than them were also just as tall.

• Plus1 2