Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

24 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

It's possible to be both objective and optimistic/negative. I don't see the 2 as being mutually exclusive. For example, in 2017, as soon as Riley lost vs NIU, I said it was time for him to go, but I still watched every game with the hope and belief that they could win. By contrast, you can watch this year and objectively observe that physically this team is beginning to look really good while acknowledging that a combination of coaching deficiencies, youth at key positions, and complete lack of the ability (belief) mentally to win games has really derailed this team's potential. There are lots of things that Frost has to figure out, and I hope he does.

I hope he does too.

24 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

What do you have against Fruit Cake? 

It is a top 25 gig. 

I agree and I hope I’m wrong about any national perception to the contrary.  But when was the last time we had a top coach interested in NU during one of our many vacancies?   The best TO himself could do was get Bo.  

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I agree and I hope I’m wrong about any national perception to the contrary.  But when was the last time we had a top coach interested in NU during one of our many vacancies?   The best TO himself could do was get Bo.  

Bo was who everyone wanted. He was viewed as a great hire. His record showed he was a solid hire. Frost was also considered the absolute best available when we got him. I think we can snag a top 25 coach. I think we would all be happy with that. 

Spencler Raddler won 9 games as a freshman on 28 td' passes to 7 int's.  Can you imagine those numbers here?  Why wouldn't we go after him if he's shopping around? 

At our current pace it will take 3 seasons to win 9 games, and our TD to INT ratio at nearly 1 : 1 is a big part of why that is.  So not understanding the "we don't want him" posts in this thread.  That's like a guy saying he doesn't want a backyard bbq'd, fresh pure beef, hand pressed, one inch thick burger with all the best toppings around while he's choking down a dry, foil wrapped heat lamp burger from a truck stop.  

11 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Spencler Raddler won 9 games as a freshman on 28 td' passes to 7 int's.  Can you imagine those numbers here?  Why wouldn't we go after him if he's shopping around? 

At our current pace it will take 3 seasons to win 9 games, and our TD to INT ratio at nearly 1 : 1 is a big part of why that is.  So not understanding the "we don't want him" posts in this thread.  That's like a guy saying he doesn't want a backyard bbq'd, fresh pure beef, hand pressed, one inch thick burger with all the best toppings around while he's choking down a dry, foil wrapped heat lamp burger from a truck stop.  

"Here" doesn't have the OL, receiving corps, and coaching that OU does.

Martinez outperformed Rattler when we went to Norman this year, while Rattler had the benefit of the best quarterback whisperer on the entire planet. I wouldn't mind if we take him, but he's not who you think he is.

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

"Here" doesn't have the OL, receiving corps, and coaching that OU does.

Martinez outperformed Rattler when we went to Norman this year, while Rattler had the benefit of the best quarterback whisperer on the entire planet. I wouldn't mind if we take him, but he's not who you think he is.

You make several good points and I agree no single player/coach is going to be a magic fix, but you do build talent one player at a time and I'm not seeing much in the pipeline currently so if the TP can prove more productive than the recruiting trail, then I'm for giving it a good all out effort.  Got to start somewhere and honestly at this point, landing a "name" provides the fans with some hope in the near term.  It may prove to be false hope in the long run, but we are in the buy some time mode as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe it sounds crazy but I don't think that an uninjured Adrian Martinez is really on a lower plane than Rattler. The key word there though is "uninjured."

If the doctors tell Adrian that he probably can't go next season after the surgery and he retires due to injury, then I'd take Rattler in a heartbeat. Honestly I'd maybe even take him either way.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Maybe it sounds crazy but I don't think that an uninjured Adrian Martinez is really on a lower plane than Rattler. The key word there though is "uninjured."

If the doctors tell Adrian that he probably can't go next season after the surgery and he retires due to injury, then I'd take Rattler in a heartbeat. Honestly I'd maybe even take him either way.

Although I don’t mind Rattler’s ability, I don’t want him anywhere near this locker room. He had baggage in hs and is toxic. You would go from one of the best leaders at qb to possibly the worst. This group competed it’s nuts off week after week bc of internal leadership. It would have been a dumpster fire with toxicity

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, HANC said:

Although I don’t mind Rattler’s ability, I don’t want him anywhere near this locker room. He had baggage in hs and is toxic. You would go from one of the best leaders at qb to possibly the worst. This group competed it’s nuts off week after week bc of internal leadership. It would have been a dumpster fire with toxicity

Tate Martell enters the chat. "Got any of those portal openings at QB"

• Haha 1