Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

I believe that Purdy has 4 years of eligibility if you include the free Covid year.  2020 was a "free year", 2021 would have been a redshirt (played in 1 game).

With the staff in win-now mode, I thought we would be going for the 1 year left "proven" guy, not someone who was a backup at their prior school.

Plus bringing in someone with 4 years of eligibility is a good way to run off a QB or 2 on your roster.

• Plus1 2

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I believe that Purdy has 4 years of eligibility if you include the free Covid year.  2020 was a "free year", 2021 would have been a redshirt (played in 1 game).

With the staff in win-now mode, I thought we would be going for the 1 year left "proven" guy, not someone who was a backup at their prior school.

Plus bringing in someone with 4 years of eligibility is a good way to run off a QB or 2 on your roster.

No one is signing up to transfer here at QB, big surprise, so they are throwing offers out now in panic mode most likely. This was always the way it was going to go if folks were honest.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

I have heard throughout to be patient and to expect them to try to get two portal QB's. Purdy would be a solid get to challenge our younger QB's, but I don't think they are solely focused on him. I believe there are other in the portal and others who haven't entered the portal who are in play. I am sure Thompson from Texas has other suitors so he will do what is best for him and his future. Sounds like TCU has the lean there if he chooses to stay in Texas. Will see how it all plays out, but I am excited they offered Purdy. To say that's a panic move is naïve at best.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

No one is signing up to transfer here at QB, bug surprise, so they are throwing offers out now in panic mode most likely. This was always the way it was going to go if folks were honest.

Even if we bring in Purdy etc I am ok with that. We need more competition at the spot. If Purdy wins great, if Smothers or another win thats fine too. I wish we would make a run at a guy who has been a starter though from the FCS level etc. Give the room someone who has gone out and done it at some level of college ball 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

I have heard throughout to be patient and to expect them to try to get two portal QB's. Purdy would be a solid get to challenge our younger QB's, but I don't think they are solely focused on him. I believe there are other in the portal and others who haven't entered the portal who are in play. I am sure Thompson from Texas has other suitors so he will do what is best for him and his future. Sounds like TCU has the lean there if he chooses to stay in Texas. Will see how it all plays out, but I am excited they offered Purdy. To say that's a panic move is naïve at best.  

Purdy is a long term move, no different than Smothers. This staff has to win immediately and this isn't the move that gets them a proven guy to do that.  Simply listening to the narrative you're fed is what I would call naive, but you do you.

I also enjoyed the umlaut on naive, haven't seen that in a while.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, twofittyonred said:

Thompson for 1 yrs seems to be more of a transition QB for this offense then Purdy would be.  Do you grab Thompson for the '22 season and Purdy as the long term project competing with Haarberg..??   

That would make the most sense if you are going to go after Purdy. I am starting to think we are just running down the board and getting who we hope we can get at this point. Next step is just warm bodies. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Purdy offer doesn't make a ton of sense. He could turn out to be good but isn't proven like I thought we would go after or roll with who we have. 

I did see one rumor post saying that Whipple likes Purdy (obviously), but Frost questions whether he has enough experience to be an immediate upgrade over Smothers.

23 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Even if we bring in Purdy etc I am ok with that. We need more competition at the spot. If Purdy wins great, if Smothers or another win thats fine too. I wish we would make a run at a guy who has been a starter though from the FCS level etc. Give the room someone who has gone out and done it at some level of college ball 

The way people talk about not wanting to bring in QB talent, is weird to me. It would be really weird if people said “let’s not bring in another WR, we already have Alante Brown, or let’s not bring in another kicker, we already have Culp”. We have zero proven pieces at QB - we should be trying to stock that room with talent. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

We offer walk ons who barely contribute every year because we have unused scholarships, bringing in multiple QBs to compete for the most important job on the team seems like a better use to me…

or imagine if we told a kid he wasnt going to play here and should look for a new home....

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

He has a QBR of 99.2 in 2021. Granted that was in 1 game where he only threw 5 passes and completed all of them. He has 1 rushing attempt on the season for 5 yards. 

He scrambles constantly… looks like Joe Ganz…. Chubba must be his nickname…. For chubby.