Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

6 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

You think he would’ve ended up being Joe Burrow here? I love rehashing red herrings. Maybe Haarberg is Joe Burrow?

Most likely not, but we will never know....just like we won't know if Purdy is the next revelation at QB at NU unless he in fact comes to NU and becomes Jesus on turf and resurrects this program in his image. Amen 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I believe that Purdy has 4 years of eligibility if you include the free Covid year.  2020 was a "free year", 2021 would have been a redshirt (played in 1 game).

With the staff in win-now mode, I thought we would be going for the 1 year left "proven" guy, not someone who was a backup at their prior school.

Plus bringing in someone with 4 years of eligibility is a good way to run off a QB or 2 on your roster.

I get it but if we are looking to bring in possibly 2 QB's. It would make sense we would bring in a young guy to sit for a year behind the older 1 year immediate impact guy. Also if the staff feels like they need to bring in 2. It means they are not impressed with the guys on the current roster so maybe they dont care if they run them off. It is s#!t and get time- if you cant produce or the new staff thinks you wont produce in the future. Replace them.

19 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get it but if we are looking to bring in possibly 2 QB's. It would make sense we would bring in a young guy to sit for a year behind the older 1 year immediate impact guy. Also if the staff feels like they need to bring in 2. It means they are not impressed with the guys on the current roster so maybe they dont care if they run them off. It is s#!t and get time- if you cant produce or the new staff thinks you wont produce in the future. Replace them.

It would be great to grab 1 older and 1 younger, but I suppose it depends on exactly how confident the coaches are in the young guys in the fold right now, and probably more on the reason the younger QB we're trying to get is transferring. The assumption is typically that a young QB is trying to transfer for a chance to start right now. If that's the case, it would be hard to convince him to come if you're also bringing in a veteran.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Has Smothers been in Area 51 the whole time he’s been here? 
Does anyone know if he can throw an accurate deep ball with touch?

Did you watch him at all this season? He threw a decent ball 45 yds in the air to Hickman against Buffalo. He didn't quite hit him in stride, but it was a good throw for being on the run.

Against Iowa he had a pass for 39 yards in the air to Manning as he was getting hit, so there was no follow through. Dropped it right underneath for Manning to get it and not the defender who was over the top.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Did you watch him at all this season? He threw a decent ball 45 yds in the air to Hickman against Buffalo. He didn't quite hit him in stride, but it was a good throw for being on the run.

Against Iowa he had a pass for 39 yards in the air to Manning as he was getting hit, so there was no follow through. Dropped it right underneath for Manning to get it and not the defender who was over the top.

There must be something to his lack of arm strength though. I am not arguing, but just pointing out that HH was in a battle for that spot as a true freshman, we are rumored to be looking at 2 portal guys along with Torres, whom some are already in love with. That would be 4 scholly qb, along with Masker. If they really trusted Smothers, they would only be after 1 qb in portal

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That’s what I thought, but it seems like they’re trying to hide his ability for some reason.