Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

12 minutes ago, HANC said:

There must be something to his lack of arm strength though. I am not arguing, but just pointing out that HH was in a battle for that spot as a true freshman, we are rumored to be looking at 2 portal guys along with Torres, whom some are already in love with. That would be 4 scholly qb, along with Masker. If they really trusted Smothers, they would only be after 1 qb in portal

HH can throw a ball 80 yds fwiw. 

9 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

What about Logan Smothers though? Didn't realize Jesus Smothers was an option. 

I don’t think Smothers is bad, I do question his arm strength or lack thereof. I don’t think anyone can read too much into the Iowa game. Yes, Iowa’s def is really good, but it may have been the safest game plan ever, with many of his passes turning into check downs to RB. He did have 2 turnovers late, but even worse was the dropped ball on last play of 3rd, in which he would have run for at least 15-20yds.  I think he can be a good qb!!!! Just not completely sold, and apparently neither is the staff.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, HANC said:

I don’t think Smothers is bad, I do question his arm strength or lack thereof. I don’t think anyone can read too much into the Iowa game. Yes, Iowa’s def is really good, but it may have been the safest game plan ever, with many of his passes turning into check downs to RB. He did have 2 turnovers late, but even worse was the dropped ball on last play of 3rd, in which he would have run for at least 15-20yds.  I think he can be a good qb!!!! Just not completely sold, and apparently neither is the staff.

the more competition the better. 

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

FWIW 247 writer said (behind a paywall) we are the front runner for Thompson, but its not over. 

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

image.thumb.png.c0998e727fab30de77a3ee59b28f707b.png

*A* front-runner is rather different than *the* front-runner.

I hope Smothers reads this thread and uses it as fuel to prove all the doubters wrong.

IDK if he can be an elite QB, but his 1st start looked pretty good. He threw the ball better than I expected him to, and I think he's a guy you can run a decent to good offense with. I'll add the disclaimer that there's no way we could use him exactly as we did against Iowa because he took a ton of hits, and any QB would get hurt at some point with all those hits compounded throughout the year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Mixed feelings about what the Purdy offer means. All things considered, I'd love to have him in the qb room and I will still be cautiously optimistic even if he is the only qb transfer we land. Obviously Whipple has had his eyes on him for a while. I can't see it helping our chances of getting Thompson though. Hopefully it's not an indication we already missed there. 

Purdy's twitter since transfer portal announcement only contains posts about Pitt and Nebraska. He's also coming out of a qb room with Mckenzie Milton, whom I'd assume still maintains a positive relationship with Frost. I feel like we've got a strong chance to get him.

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

image.thumb.png.c0998e727fab30de77a3ee59b28f707b.png

Didn't know much about Thompson, so I looked him up. We thought our relationship with Clester Johnson was bad. What did Oklahoma do to Thompsons old man that he wants to play for both Oklahoma's top two rivals???? (For those who don't know his dad is Charles Thompson.) 

Raised in Lawton, Oklahoma, Charles Thompson proved to be a highly skilled athlete and was recruited by the University of Oklahoma, a NCAA Division I-A college football program, under head coach Barry Switzer. He was also drafted by Major League Baseball's Cincinnati Reds in the 34th round as a second baseman; however, he decided to focus on football. As a redshirt freshman, Thompson became the starting quarterback of the nationally ranked Sooners for the 1987 season. The highlight came on November 21, 1987, when Thompson led the offense of then #2-ranked Sooners to a dominating victory over the #1 Nebraska Cornhuskers in a game that was heavily hyped as the Game of the Century II. While the Sooners would drop their final game of the season in the 1988 Orange Bowl and finish 11-1, Thompson's status as a nationally famous collegiate athlete was confirmed.

During the 1988 season, Thompson, now a redshirt sophomore, led the Sooners to a 9-3 record but did not play due to a leg injury in the 1989 Florida Citrus Bowl. Thompson was a successful quarterback, named to the All-Big Eight Conference - 1st team. Off the field he was a celebrity, volunteering to speak to at-risk youth about how to succeed in the face of adversity and, the danger of illegal drugs.

• Fire 1
23 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I hope Smothers reads this thread and uses it as fuel to prove all the doubters wrong.

IDK if he can be an elite QB, but his 1st start looked pretty good. He threw the ball better than I expected him to, and I think he's a guy you can run a decent to good offense with. I'll add the disclaimer that there's no way we could use him exactly as we did against Iowa because he took a ton of hits, and any QB would get hurt at some point with all those hits compounded throughout the year.

Do you think any of us will be mad if transfers come in and Smothers beats them all to be QB1? I wont be that means that he was better than all of them. Which means we have the best QB starting. Everyone here is good with Smothers as QB1 we just want to raise the level of competition in the room and let the best man win. Same for all the other transfers and guys on the team. Just get the best group of guys on the field possible. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1