Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

26 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I'm not making excuses for the line play last year, but it would also help if the QB has pocket presence (knows when to step up), anticipates throws and throws on time, and has a clock in his head to take off and run if nothing is open. Those things were really Adrian's weaknesses a lot, especially late in games.

Adrian had fantastic pocket presence. He just couldn't get the ball out quick enough too often, and eventually there was no pocket left.

4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Adrian had fantastic pocket presence. He just couldn't get the ball out quick enough too often, and eventually there was no pocket left.

He also had a way of making things look awkward that was incredible. Like 80% of the time it worked and he all of a sudden had separation from the DL, but then 20% of the time it was a jolty half step forward into a gap that just collapsed around him. Watching Smothers against Iowa (admittedly a big situation and a tough defensive front) definitely made me more aware of what Martinez had - pocket movement from Smothers was not great. Quicker decisions than Martinez, but that's only a positive if the decision isn't "swing it out to the covered check down" every time. 

5 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

He rarely stepped up in the pocket to allow his tackles to re-engage their blocks. He had a tendency to drift further back instead, or to escape the pocket out the back. Go back and watch the Illinois game, watch AM's footwork and positioning in the pocket, and tell me again that his pocket presence was fantastic.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He also had a way of making things look awkward that was incredible. Like 80% of the time it worked and he all of a sudden had separation from the DL, but then 20% of the time it was a jolty half step forward into a gap that just collapsed around him. Watching Smothers against Iowa (admittedly a big situation and a tough defensive front) definitely made me more aware of what Martinez had - pocket movement from Smothers was not great. Quicker decisions than Martinez, but that's only a positive if the decision isn't "swing it out to the covered check down" every time. 

All our QBs have had the same receivers to work with as AM. They had talent but have been a revolving door of green freshmen etc. Toure was a glaring exception and he did much better. AM needed plenty of help which he didn’t always get BUT he completed 60%+ of a lot of throw for a bunch of yards so the O line as supporting cast were not as useless as they are painted.  I feel AM missed a lot of passing opportunities to make the offense more effective and point productive. 

If Adrian played near perfect, the team wins several more games each year.  I just don’t think we should build an entire team’s success around having fabulous QB play.  Elite QBs are hard to get even one every decade, let alone have two on the team all the time.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

He rarely stepped up in the pocket to allow his tackles to re-engage their blocks. He had a tendency to drift further back instead, or to escape the pocket out the back. Go back and watch the Illinois game, watch AM's footwork and positioning in the pocket, and tell me again that his pocket presence was fantastic.

I get the point but you made me laugh out loud with "allow his tackles to re-engage their blocks".  Have to get one block in first! :lol:

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Go back and watch the Illinois game, watch AM's footwork and positioning in the pocket, and tell me again that his pocket presence was fantastic.

Okay.

I'll just go in order of all pass plays in this video:

1. Nowhere to step up to. Nothing bad here.

2. Tries stepping up, blitzer comes through, correctly escapes. Nothing bad here.

3. Went the only way he could.

4. Good

5. Good

6. Good (bad throw)

7. Good (bad throw) -- there hasn't been a single play yet where stepping up into the pocket is even an option for him

8. Great pocket, no need to step up 

9. Tries stepping up but it's honestly a mistake as pocket collapses, only escape was out the sides - ends up fumbling  

10. Moves around well but holds on too long. It's an end of half hail mary so not too damning any way

11. This is actually amazing pocket presence

12. This is good presence too, but literally nowhere to go and nothing to do. Gets sacked.

13. Amazing pocket presence - turns into a 70 something yard touchdown.

14. Steps up in the pocket well

15. No need to move around much, stands strong and delivers a beautiful strike

16. Same as 15

17. This play couldn't have been more well executed as far as pocket presence. Perfect job.

18. Feels the pressure coming well and slides over well. This isa ctually fun to watch seeing how good he can feel the pocket, honestly no idea what you're talking about.

19. Could have stepped up more, but he got the pass off and completed it. Not amazing, definitely not bad.

20. Feels the blitz and gets rid of it quickly for a completion.

21. Quick throw

22. Another amazing job of feeling the pressure and dancing in the right way to scramble for a first down.

23. Same as 22, except this time for a 30 yard scramble gain.

24. Quick throw, no pocket

25. Successfully escapes out the only route open to him.

26. Designed rollout

27. Falls back a little (not really anywhere to go), delivers a strike

28. Steps up into the pocket

29. Here's the first example int he video of him very poorly falling backwards instead of stepping up

30. Is able to stand strong for a long time, line eventually gives and he definitely had room to avoid and keep working but gets hit as he throws.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1