Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

15 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think we are all going to be disappointed if we are basing success on the W-L record.  TBH, I don't think the W-L record ever entered Trev's process.  If it did, Frost would be gone already.  I hate to say it, but here are the following 2022 excuses:

STAFF

New OC

New OL

New RB

New WR

"New" DL

New QB

New Center

New NT

New scheme

etc....

That's a whole lot of reasons to go 4-8/5-7.  And say "wait til next year".

Maybe things click.  I think we have HUGE upgrades in the staff (Joseph, Whip, Applewhite and Busch).  I think we will finally see a developed RB/QB/ST/receivers.  Hoping that gets us at least 6. Gotta show these changes worked.  

I agree but I’m so far done with excuses. Trev and others can do whatever they want. At this point I need both tangible wins and noticeable improvements. That may not seem fair since it is such a departure from where we’ve been but that’s where I’m at. Sick of the senseless and really easily avoidable losses.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree but I’m so far done with excuses. Trev and others can do whatever they want. At this point I need both tangible wins and noticeable improvements. That may not seem fair since it is such a departure from where we’ve been but that’s where I’m at. Sick of the senseless and really easily avoidable losses.

I'm with you.  I think staff changes should have been made after 2019.  Saw no real reason to keep Frost after this season, but here we are. IMO, there SHOULD BE a minimum number of wins to stay and that should be 6+.  No excuses.  But there will be. I think at times, fans love Frost more than the Huskers.

12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Well there are two types of expectations, what we expect to actually happen and what we feel should happen. I’ve given up trying to guess what will happen so I have no expectations there. But based on the schedule, coaching and player adjustments and what I feel is an unearned bonus year chance for Frost, 8 or 9 is where I feel it needs to be. I’d probably take 7 without getting too s#!tty about things. As I have become accustomed, I’m not necessarily planning on being satisfied.

I'm afraid Nebraska might be too far gone to ever be an elite college football program again, so what I think should happen doesn't even factor into the equation anymore for me.

I'm hopeful that having a QB that has a track record of taking care of the football will translate into a winning record.  And that's about as much as I can realistically hope for at this point.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm afraid Nebraska might be too far gone to ever be an elite college football program again, so what I think should happen doesn't even factor into the equation anymore for me.

I'm hopeful that having a QB that has a track record of taking care of the football will translate into a winning record.  And that's about as much as I can realistically hope for at this point.

I understand where you are coming from on this but I dont believe NU is beyond saving YET.  However, my gut says we are a couple more losing seasons away from being too far gone.  The team still has enough talent to win more games than it loses - unless we are to accept the idea that all the recruiting analysts etc are completely uninformed.  I’ve always had doubts about accuracy on a case by case basis but in a broad, general level, they surely can’t be useless.  Thus, a turnaround is quite doable IF our coaches start performing at a level commensurate with their pay grade.  

Players and execution is a substantial part of NU’s problems.  But coaching is also a substantial part of it.  Every part of the program has a share in both successes and failures.  Talent in certain positions is inadequate to win 10 plus consistently. But scheme and strategy and management has to be factored.  The team’s play is playing all too similarly game after game, year after year, to put all the fault on a few individual players and or coaches. 
After 4 seasons, it seems clear a pattern is there.  Very few games reflect a better prepared and performing team.    We play up or down, relative to our opponents capabilities, with a higher than expected tendency to falter against nearly all of them.  This is mental and schematic and or strategic, not so much physical inferiority.  

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

I am content with being a top 25 program with an occasional top 10 team every few years. I honestly feel like that may be our ceiling now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1