Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not sure this will exactly stop it but possibly...

Interesting.

I would have thought players and coaches would have wanted it publicized as much as possible when a player enters the portal.  Players want everyone to know he's available.  Coaches want to know who's all available.  I know, they have access to the info behind the wall.  But, it's just another way they can find out if a big player becomes available.  

I wonder why they are taking such steps to keep it so secret.  Actually, I thought the portal was openly available to the media.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.

I would have thought players and coaches would have wanted it publicized as much as possible when a player enters the portal.  Players want everyone to know he's available.  Coaches want to know who's all available.  I know, they have access to the info behind the wall.  But, it's just another way they can find out if a big player becomes available.  

I wonder why they are taking such steps to keep it so secret.  Actually, I thought the portal was openly available to the media.

going to really put a damper on the recruiting industry if they arent able to gain access and stay on top of it. 

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.

They don't need reporters, coaches have guys checking it daily. I'm fine with cracking down on the media access to it to be honest - plenty of kids announce it themselves so if they think their name is lost in the portal they can still throw it out on twitter or tip off a reporter. But the portal itself is supposed to be where coaches can see everyone available, not twitter.

I think it's a privacy thing, the athletes aren't obligated to let the public know their plans to transfer any more than a regular student. Many of them want to and still can, but reporters scouring the portal and student directories is a bit much for me. 

• Plus1 3

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.

pretty sure they are going to have a guy solely responsible for the portal.  Don't think it would be too hard for the media guys to be in constant contact with this person to find out who is transferring out of Nebraska.  

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

They don't need reporters, coaches have guys checking it daily. I'm fine with cracking down on the media access to it to be honest - plenty of kids announce it themselves so if they think their name is lost in the portal they can still throw it out on twitter or tip off a reporter. But the portal itself is supposed to be where coaches can see everyone available, not twitter.

I think it's a privacy thing, the athletes aren't obligated to let the public know their plans to transfer any more than a regular student. Many of them want to and still can, but reporters scouring the portal and student directories is a bit much for me. 

This.  And in a case like Andrew Bunch a few years ago where he wanted to test the waters for playing time but was still happy to be part of the team and help as a practice player if he didn't get an opportunity he liked, it would hopefully eliminate any unnecessary drama from the public.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This.  And in a case like Andrew Bunch a few years ago where he wanted to test the waters for playing time but was still happy to be part of the team and help as a practice player if he didn't get an opportunity he liked, it would hopefully eliminate any unnecessary drama from the public.

That's my initial thought to.  Protect the student-athlete a little bit.

The vultures in the media will probably find ways on higher profile players.  I do agree, it's a good thing to keep it private for players just wanting to test the waters without dragging their name through the media gutter.  Good change that hopefully works.  The only negative downside is we may see a lot more kids testing the waters if they feel they can keep it private.    

What stops a given player from simply taking a trip to visit another school he may be interested in - without the portal?  He can ‘shop around’ privately himself before going into the portal one way or another. A few phone calls or have Dad make the calls.  ?  I would sure want to have an idea where I’m wanted and want to go, before I go see my current coach or the portal.  But maybe schools are still a bit worried about ‘tampering’ rules?   And NIL $$ are a factor as well.  Many could be looking for bucks more than playing time or just a new home?  

Just now, 84HuskerLaw said:

What stops a given player from simply taking a trip to visit another school he may be interested in - without the portal?  He can ‘shop around’ privately himself before going into the portal one way or another. A few phone calls or have Dad make the calls.  ?  I would sure want to have an idea where I’m wanted and want to go, before I go see my current coach or the portal.  But maybe schools are still a bit worried about ‘tampering’ rules?   And NIL $$ are a factor as well.  Many could be looking for bucks more than playing time or just a new home?  

Tampering for sure to have anyone make calls on their behalf. They could visit the school themselves, but as I understand it any contact with coaches or things like touring the athletic facilities would need to be self-reported or could also be considered tampering. I'm sure many do a lot of research before entering and some of that stuff happens, but the goal is for the portal to be a first step. No recruiting opposing players until they've at least committed to listening to other schools.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Tampering for sure to have anyone make calls on their behalf. They could visit the school themselves, but as I understand it any contact with coaches or things like touring the athletic facilities would need to be self-reported or could also be considered tampering. I'm sure many do a lot of research before entering and some of that stuff happens, but the goal is for the portal to be a first step. No recruiting opposing players until they've at least committed to listening to other schools.

Is this a rule currently that players and their immediate family can’t contact or visit other schools EXCEPT by first signing into the portal?  I thought someone on this Board posted that once in the portal, the player CAN’T come back to the school, unless HC says OK, presumably.  Idk. Just asking how it actually works.  

46 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Is this a rule currently that players and their immediate family can’t contact or visit other schools EXCEPT by first signing into the portal?  I thought someone on this Board posted that once in the portal, the player CAN’T come back to the school, unless HC says OK, presumably.  Idk. Just asking how it actually works.  

I don't really know how the regulate players reaching out - I suspect the opposing coaches are just supposed to not talk football unless they're in the portal. The coaches themselves are definitely not allowed to reach out to the players until they're in the portal. But I'm sure it happens second hand - tell your HS coach you're not happy, next time they talk to a recruiter from another school they might mention it, etc. Probably not just player to coach though.

And pretty sure they can return, they just might have burned bridges with the coach depending on how it went down. 

• 2 weeks later...