Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

22 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Be interesting to see where we put Mathis IF we get him. Chins says. he wants to be 3-4 mainly with the nickel package like we saw last year. If that is the case then Nelson needs to be moved back to DE with Tannor and Mathis at OLB.

I think it would just be a rotation - Nelson is strong, but there's no way he holds up if we're lining him up as a 5-tech. And I don't see him as one of the inside guys when we have 2 DL and 2 standup OLB/DE. But we can rotate on standard downs and I'm sure come up with some creative 3rd down looks - I don't hate Nelson as a hand on the ground DL in that scenario, but if it's 1st and 10 and he's a 3-4 DE I am worried.

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it would just be a rotation - Nelson is strong, but there's no way he holds up if we're lining him up as a 5-tech. And I don't see him as one of the inside guys when we have 2 DL and 2 standup OLB/DE. But we can rotate on standard downs and I'm sure come up with some creative 3rd down looks - I don't hate Nelson as a hand on the ground DL in that scenario, but if it's 1st and 10 and he's a 3-4 DE I am worried.

I agree. He would hold up better than Tannor of course in a 3-4 set. I know we opened with 4 DL a few times last year including Michigan with...Nelson, Stille, Robinson, Tannor. But again this would put Tannor as the odd man out from a 'starting' standpoint. I know we can view this is a rotation but kids have always cared who is the first and most frequent out there

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I think the same.  Nelson has a great motor and wants to get the QB.  I hope Dawson understands that running him into the Tackle too often and too many plays in a row is going to wear Nelson down, becoming less effective. Which is not Nelson's fault. Reviewing games from last season, I saw him bull rush the tackle play after play, really big guys, and it eventually just eliminates him from so many plays all together.  And when you need him to have energy to get in the backfield, he appears a little worn out.  I know I can say it better than this.. I just want high energy Nelson at full strength and speed on obvious passing downs.  On running plays he needs to engage and release quickly to get in a better shot at the runner. 

Feels like to me spring portal transfers are lower in quality. Think I wouldn’t save any scholarships except maybe one for the spring if I was a staff. Been that way for two years in a row. 

also noting a lack of Nebraska guys hitting the portal. Wonder if on Friday there will be mass chaos or what. 

• Plus1 2

Fine start. Need 2-3 more to really feel better about having options and depth as the season wears on. I’d like for us to take a look at Justin Moore in the portal- 6’3 270 former 3* DE transferring out of UConn:

Decent twitchiness and had a solid HS profile (Offers from Houston, Texas Tech, Tulane, UConn)- All State in Texas and played for Mike Singletary in high school. Good frame who I think could develop into a nice player. Plus the 3 years of eligibility is nice.