Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

Just now, ZRod said:

But we don't seem to have any depth at tackle, and haven't for years. It's tough to make it through a full B1G season at any position. We have to focus on building depth along the line no matter who the coaches are.

Fair. I also wonder if Raiola will have a preference for different body types than the guys Frost & Austin recruited over the last 4-5 years. OL & DL are the 2 groups that take the longest to transform, and are also the most important position groups on the team. I hope Frost & Raiola earn the opportunity to build that going forward

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Fair. I also wonder if Raiola will have a preference for different body types than the guys Frost & Austin recruited over the last 4-5 years. OL & DL are the 2 groups that take the longest to transform, and are also the most important position groups on the team. I hope Frost & Raiola earn the opportunity to build that going forward

I actually liked the type of athletes we recruited at tackle. They were big, tall, and leaner. They just couldn't execute the position; outside of Teddy who looked great in what little action he had.

It's really coaching and fundamentals that have held us back. It's not that hard to not get whooped around the outside all the time, or get movement off the ball on run plays. A lot of things just come down to pad level, foot work, and anticipating the defenders moves. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I actually liked the type of athletes we recruited at tackle. They were big, tall, and leaner. They just couldn't execute the position; outside of Teddy who looked great in what little action he had.

It's really coaching and fundamentals that have held us back. It's not that hard to not get whooped around the outside all the time, or get movement off the ball on run plays. A lot of things just come down to pad level, foot work, and anticipating the defenders moves. 

:yeah

Yeah, unless a bona fide starter shows up in the portal we actually have talent in the OL room. The only reason to take a look at a lot of these guys are if you think the past couple years have decimated confidence to the point that our current OL can no longer achieve their potential. I don't think that's the case, and proven starters/potential LTs just aren't available. I don't expect any of the guys who were playing LT in the spring game to play there during the season, and most teams aren't going to like what their 3rd string LT looks like. Fingers crossed Teddy and Turner get and stay healthy.

1 hour ago, theknife said:

We definitely need the OTs to get healthy, but I'm not going to panic over a scrimmage in which the Oline was shuffling a lot of players around to find the best 5. 

I could maybe agree with that if it were just a spring scrimmage thing, but this wasn't a one-time problem - we've had s#!tty OL play for ages now.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

When is the last time a player entered the program in the fall and contributed?  I think Mathis is a guy they can put out there & turn loose on the QB, but I wouldn't expect much from any other options, & frankly I feel any kid transferring post spring lacks a certain level of commitment to play.  

Mo Washington showed up late and played well for a true freshman I thought. I don't think he got to campus until August if I recall.

I think if you play DL it matters a lot less. More about talent. If kids get here around May 20th then that is 3 months at least. 

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I don't know enough in-depth about all that, it's more of a curious question for me. I've heard Damon Benning talk a few times about our tackles playing too tall, and also kind of talking about how he likes shorter D Linemen because they can get under the pads of the OL and create more leverage.

But my general read has been that since Frost got here, there have consistently been OL recruits that people have been very excited about, but their play didn't live up to expectations, which mainly points to coaching and development.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Need 1 more DL:

Jermayne Lole

Joseph Evans 

Stephon Wynn

Lamar Goods 

I would take any of those in a heartbeat, and in that order which was probably intentional on your part. Lole was PFF's #2 'interior defender' going into 2021 before missing the year with a triceps injury. Evans and Wynn have been rotational guys at major SEC schools, and not being able to crack the starting lineups isn't really an indictment of their abilities. Evans' 247 comparison as a recruit was Damion Daniels too which is fun. Goods would worry me the most since he has less experience than Hutmacher, but he's at least be a talented dude who probably wouldn't get embarrassed on the field.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just to be clear, Drew is a typical 3/4 DE, correct?  So, if we need another D lineman, it would be at Nose Tackle?

Yes, but I think we will see many different rotations. Lots of times last year we had Nelson and Tannor in there with only 2 interior DL - so it matters less on actual NT than it did year 1 under Chins.