Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

5 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

Still think he’s going ole miss? Or more reverse psychology and we pull this one off

Looking at the vid on YT of all his plays, I don't care if we get him.....I'd go with Smothers. None of the transfer portal QBs we're likely to get are that impressive. It might be better to find a Big Ben out of UNK who can be coached than go with some sad sack transfer and piss off the guys we have.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Looking at the vid on YT of all his plays, I don't care if we get him.....I'd go with Smothers. None of the transfer portal QBs we're likely to get are that impressive. It might be better to find a Big Ben out of UNK who can be coached than go with some sad sack transfer and piss off the guys we have.

This is sarcasm right?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskinator said:

Still think he’s going ole miss? Or more reverse psychology and we pull this one off

I never thought he was going to Ole Miss. I think Kiffin is more interested in the UCF QB. I know Brennan is from the MS gulf coast and the closest school is Southern Miss. There were rumors he had already enrolled but that made no sense because who enrolls during final exams? However I do think he regrets putting his name in the portal. I think he assumed that Max Johnson and Garrett Nussmeier would return, plus they have a 5* QB commit, Walker Howard. When Johnson added his name to the portal, it threw everything off. I know that Brennan bleeds purple and gold and if he were to return to LSU, he would likely start next year. The question is if Brian Kelly wants him back or not. There have been conflicting reports and some say he'll probably come back, while others (like the reporter above) think it's over. I think Brennan will wait and see what happens on that end, and also see if any other opportunities arise. The only reason - ONLY reason - we have a horse in this race at all is because he knows Mickey Joseph. I just wish we could get Brennan on campus because if he visited, I think he'd love it. He's an outdoorsman and hunting is great in Nebraska from what I've been told. Again, some reports said that he canceled his visit to Lincoln that was supposedly scheduled for this weekend but I think the people who started those rumors confused him with the kid from Akron. One thing I know for certain is that there won't be any option or designed QB runs with Brennan under center. He's a prototypical pocket passer and has a good arm and accuracy. His biggest issue is that he's injury prone but he was really skinny when he first arrived at LSU; I'd bet he's gained a good 40-50 lbs. since then. Hopefully the bulk will improve his durability. Not sure if we'll land him -- I'm not going to give my guess because I'm a pessimist and always prepare for the worst -- but I do think we have a better shot of landing him than Johnson.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Brennan as a passing QB is wayyyy ahead of Smothers. The only advantage Smothers has over Brennan is his running ability. Maybe we could put in some packages for Smothers in certain situations?

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Brennan as a passing QB is wayyyy ahead of Smothers. The only advantage Smothers has over Brennan is his running ability. Maybe we could put in some packages for Smothers in certain situations?

If Smothers is the backup next year (hopefully), the Wildcat package with more of a passing element than normal would be ideal for him and a good change of pace once in awhile 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I never thought he was going to Ole Miss. I think Kiffin is more interested in the UCF QB. I know Brennan is from the MS gulf coast and the closest school is Southern Miss. There were rumors he had already enrolled but that made no sense because who enrolls during final exams? However I do think he regrets putting his name in the portal. I think he assumed that Max Johnson and Garrett Nussmeier would return, plus they have a 5* QB commit, Walker Howard. When Johnson added his name to the portal, it threw everything off. I know that Brennan bleeds purple and gold and if he were to return to LSU, he would likely start next year. The question is if Brian Kelly wants him back or not. There have been conflicting reports and some say he'll probably come back, while others (like the reporter above) think it's over. I think Brennan will wait and see what happens on that end, and also see if any other opportunities arise. The only reason - ONLY reason - we have a horse in this race at all is because he knows Mickey Joseph. I just wish we could get Brennan on campus because if he visited, I think he'd love it. He's an outdoorsman and hunting is great in Nebraska from what I've been told. Again, some reports said that he canceled his visit to Lincoln that was supposedly scheduled for this weekend but I think the people who started those rumors confused him with the kid from Akron. One thing I know for certain is that there won't be any option or designed QB runs with Brennan under center. He's a prototypical pocket passer and has a good arm and accuracy. His biggest issue is that he's injury prone but he was really skinny when he first arrived at LSU; I'd bet he's gained a good 40-50 lbs. since then. Hopefully the bulk will improve his durability. Not sure if we'll land him -- I'm not going to give my guess because I'm a pessimist and always prepare for the worst -- but I do think we have a better shot of landing him than Johnson.

That’s a ton of info!  I do hope we get him!!!

Bringing it back up because it was mentioned briefly, but Sam mentioned a QB that the staff would love to have but who isn't in the transfer portal now. The way the conversation was going, though, sounded like it might have been an FCS guy looking at moving up as he also mentioned Vernon Adams around the same conversation. He mentioned that if this QB entered the portal, we would have a very good chance at getting him and that he was not in the portal right now because he's still playing. Who's the SDSU, NDSU, or other FCS QB that might be interesting?

• Fire 1