Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Realizing there is no perfect QBs, which factors are the biggest priority for Whipple and Frost's offense?

-Passing Accuracy

-Dual threat (has mobility/speed)

-Decision making under pressure

-Size

-Ability to stretch the field with 20-plus yard throws

-History of few turnovers

-Red zone scoring

-Other factors?

Cam Ward!!!

25 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Is there an early signing period for portal players like there is for HS recruits (which I believe is coming up soon)?

No signing day for the portal and it's killing High School recruiting.  The NCAA needs to do something with the Covid Year and the portal it's really out of control.  Early signing kids get screwed when they show up in January and the school plucks a kid out of the portal.  

• Plus1 2

Basically the portal makes signing a LOI almost worthless - non- binding “commitment” as at best a maybe I will play there unless I change my mind anytime after now.  Unlike pro contracts with obligations on both sides (team and player), only the school is obligated to accept and fulfill their promises. The student athlete is a beneficiary without any significant performance burden.  In most contractual relationships both parties provide consideration that create mutual benefits and obligations. 

I don’t see the transfer portal remaining in its present form very long. The effect will be very negative to the game, the NCAA, the athletes, future participants etc.  There needs to be a transfer date(s) established - perhaps twice a year between semesters.  Require students to be academically current and in good standing and so on - only transfer between semesters.  Also, the scholarship, if any, should be restored, retroactively to allow the school to replace the player immediately with another transfer or other eligible recruit.  Finally, the student should refund any scholarship benefits if a student fails to complete the semester and once transfer portal declared, it should be irrevocable without school’s OK. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Basically the portal makes signing a LOI almost worthless - non- binding “commitment” as at best a maybe I will play there unless I change my mind anytime after now.  Unlike pro contracts with obligations on both sides (team and player), only the school is obligated to accept and fulfill their promises. The student athlete is a beneficiary without any significant performance burden.  In most contractual relationships both parties provide consideration that create mutual benefits and obligations. 

I don’t see the transfer portal remaining in its present form very long. The effect will be very negative to the game, the NCAA, the athletes, future participants etc.  There needs to be a transfer date(s) established - perhaps twice a year between semesters.  Require students to be academically current and in good standing and so on - only transfer between semesters.  Also, the scholarship, if any, should be restored, retroactively to allow the school to replace the player immediately with another transfer or other eligible recruit.  Finally, the student should refund any scholarship benefits if a student fails to complete the semester and once transfer portal declared, it should be irrevocable without school’s OK. 

Maybe I’ve missed this discussed somewhere, but i have a question about the process - If a high school player signs a LOI in December, and the team he signs with picks up a player at his position in the portal, does the HS player have to honor the LOI?

My guess would be they would have to honor that for one year. They could enter the portal immediately, but because they are on a scholarship, they would have to fulfill that one year without playing for another team?