Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

This, Cam J. is a beast. There will be some serious crow being eaten after Cam is in the NFL succeeding. I have no idea what some fans have against him, he does things very very few Centers can do.  

Agree.  The people who think Cam J isn't great or will be, really have no in depth football IQ.  They only want to see the bad snaps that he improved drastically. Center is absolutely a complex position.  Those who believe snapping a ball on target, with speed and touch just don't get it.  Furthermore, doing this while trying to read the defense, making the line calls and/or protection takes a tremendous amount of discipline.   Not to mention he pulls a ton.  He would have been our top returner on either side of the ball imo. 

• Plus1 7

Rumor has it there's still a QB in the portal who was #7 nationally in Yards Per Attempt while being the leading rushing QBs in the conference. He suffered through very poor offensive line and run support, and was misused by the coaching staff --- that's why he's in the portal! 

Think he would thrive with a fresh start in a new system? 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HANC said:

Agree.  The people who think Cam J isn't great or will be, really have no in depth football IQ.  They only want to see the bad snaps that he improved drastically. Center is absolutely a complex position.  Those who believe snapping a ball on target, with speed and touch just don't get it.  Furthermore, doing this while trying to read the defense, making the line calls and/or protection takes a tremendous amount of discipline.   Not to mention he pulls a ton.  He would have been our top returner on either side of the ball imo. 

What Jurgens accomplished is pretty incredible in my opinion. Yeah, those snap issues were pretty bad. Look where he started and how he progressed. He developed into a formidable asset to the team at center. Would he have benefited from remaining who's to say. We would've I'm sure of. 

• Plus1 1

Cam got much better this season after his snapping issues were corrected.....until then there was hesitation that was clearly not NFL-ready.

I think one of the bigger drivers of his declaring for the draft this year is the relative weakness of the center class.

Last year you had Humphrey (OU), Dickenson (Bama), Myers (tOSU)....plus Meinerz who taught himself the position in the run-up to the draft.

This year, there's Linderbaum (Iowa) and then a HUGE drop-off....

So if Cam can get himself in great shape and show up well in pre-draft drills/all-star games, he may get picked much earlier this draft than in a normal year. :thumbs

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Perhaps it happens more often than I realize, but how many centers do you see pull on pass plays to block the edge rusher because the tackles are so poor at doing it?

It's actually a pretty common scheme these days. I'm pretty sure Tim Beck even used it, and we had some decent tackles under him. You don't use it because guys suck you use it as a play action constraint for outside zone running plays where the center is pulling the same way.

Regardless anybody who thinks Cam sucks, doesn't know football. He was our far and away best lineman this year.

• Plus1 3