Jump to content


Portal Transfer Targets


ndobney

Recommended Posts


Also, we can go on and on about what a loss Keegan was, and maybe he was. But if Iowa doesn't make some offensive changes, Keegan will ultimately be disappointed that he is there. There will be a low ceiling for what he will be able to do under that regime.  

 

That isn't to say the same isn't true in Lincoln.. I am just saying, there are sour grapes in the water everywhere you look with the Johnson's, and if anybody thinks Keegan is going to put up all American numbers under Ferentz they are smoking.  Even if he is of that quality, he won't ever get the numbers to show for it.  He will have to transfer somewhere else to achieve anything of substance.

'

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Also, we can go on and on about what a loss Keegan was, and maybe he was. But if Iowa doesn't make some offensive changes, Keegan will ultimately be disappointed that he is there. There will be a low ceiling for what he will be able to do under that regime.  

 

That isn't to say the same isn't true in Lincoln.. I am just saying, there are sour grapes in the water everywhere you look with the Johnson's, and if anybody thinks Keegan is going to put up all American numbers under Ferentz they are smoking.  Even if he is of that quality, he won't ever get the numbers to show for it.  He will have to transfer somewhere else to achieve anything of substance.

'

Iowa's WR's and TE's may not make huge stats in college, but they do get prepped for the NFL.  Iowa has pumped out a number of NFL TE's including a kid who was from Omaha.  I was listening to the NFL game last night, and the Vikings had a rookie WR from Iowa catch a TD pass.  Keagan will probably be underutilized at Iowa, but he will probably play for a winning team, and put himself in position to play in the NFL after a few years.  I don't know if the same can be said about playing at Nebraska.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe he had a brother that a previous staff didn't recruit, so he went to South Dakota.  That's where the family got upset.  Keagan wasn't interested in Nebraska because they didn't recruit his brother.  He may still have ended up at Iowa.  But, if my memory is correct, he didn't have any interest in Nebraska because of this.

Keagan had 2 older brothers who were lightly recruited by NU under previous staff, so that probably did upset the family.  However, Frost and Nebraska could have tried to rectify that by heavily recruiting Keagan, and from what I has been told in numerous outlets by numerous people, that didn't happen.

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Iowa's WR's and TE's may not make huge stats in college, but they do get prepped for the NFL.  Iowa has pumped out a number of NFL TE's including a kid who was from Omaha.  I was listening to the NFL game last night, and the Vikings had a rookie WR from Iowa catch a TD pass.  Keagan will probably be underutilized at Iowa, but he will probably play for a winning team, and put himself in position to play in the NFL after a few years.  I don't know if the same can be said about playing at Nebraska.

Fant was going to be a stud wherever he went and was rightfully upset about being underutilized there. He then left early and was drafted on athleticism. Their best NFL TE was also barely utilized in college got drafted late and turned out to be a great receiver. I dont think its a wild assumption to say maybe a different school Kittle would have been targeted heavily and got a much bigger rookie contract.  Iowa has done a good job of identifying TEs and got lucky the Nebraska staff messed things up with Fant, but I dont think they have some magic sauce for developing TEs that we dont have. A few years down the road and we will probably have 3 or 4 TEs at least on NFL rosters. Frost did a pretty good job of scheming TEs open this year. I dont think anyone would dispute that. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Keagan had 2 older brothers who were lightly recruited by NU under previous staff, so that probably did upset the family.  However, Frost and Nebraska could have tried to rectify that by heavily recruiting Keagan, and from what I has been told in numerous outlets by numerous people, that didn't happen.

 Keegan was also being an a-hole to the fans during the game.  He was pictured standing on the bench talking s#!t to fans during and after the game.  Class act.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Nebraska has done a crappy job in Omaha for a while now.  Goes back a ways.  At some point they need to act like it is important or Omaha kids will continue to go other places.  Yes we suck, that is why they should work harder.  When they did those Big Red stops last summer, I don't think they even went to Omaha.  We suck on the field, and we suck off the field.  I hope it turns around...someday.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I dont think they have some magic sauce for developing TEs that we dont have

 

Farentz has had 11 TEs drafted in his 22 years coaching.  Maybe its how they identify kids, maybe its how they coach/develop once in the program, maybe its that NFL scout give them the benefit of the doubt, but seems to me they have something going on regarding developing TEs into NFL prospects. 

 

 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It's been like this for years.  If the Husker head coach does not recruit Omaha it's a travesty.  This is driven by insure HS coaches who believe they should be catered by the head coach not an asst.

 

Would it really be that difficult to get all the area coaches together for like a luncheon or something and have Frost kiss their asses for a couple hours?  

Link to comment

TE is one thing - the track record there for Iowa goes back a ways. But as far as skill positions go there is Ihmir Smith-Marsette whose TD last night brought him up to 2 catches for 13 yards this year. And then Mekhi Sargent, with 4 carries for 13 yards for the Rams.

 

Now especially with Smith-Marsette being a rookie and playing behind some really good receivers there's still time. But they haven't developed a decent NFL skill player since Shonn Greene, and he wasn't that great. The only other two notables I can find are Ladell Betts (sort of a one year wonder) and Tim Dwight (KR, so not really a skill position anyway.) We don't have a phenomenal recent track record either, but it's better than Iowa's - but maximizing your skillset and getting to the league as a RB/WR is just not a reason to go to Iowa.  

 

Link to comment

1 hour ago, lo country said:

You'd think the HC would be the one to recruit the Omaha metro area.  Since it's the largest city in the state.  Rumors were that Ruud wasn't even going by the schools....Big difference in not going and catering to them.  It's also one thing to leave Nebraska to play elsewhere, but it's Iowa.  The state right next door.  I think that's what makes it harder.  It's not like we are losing in state guys to schools in the SEC or ACC or even farther away like OSU, UM etc....I'd think we'd pull out the stops for local kids. The whole 500 mile radius thing and also for an Alumni's son....

Yep, and more likely to attend Nebraska.  I may like Mickey Joseph's Louisiana connections but it will still be easier to pull a talented kid from Elkhorn or Westside than Edna Karr or Napoleonville.  Deion Jones is a great reminder of what can happen.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

There really is no good excuse for NU missing Nebraska guys by omission but coaches have to develop good relationships with nearly all the schools within the 300 mile radius. Atleast the bigger schools A & Bs.  It takes effort but these guys are paid to put in the 90 hr weeks and miles and miles.  Stick around and do the time. Too many revolving doors for coaches in Lincoln hurts. 

Link to comment
17 hours ago, M.A. said:

I'd take a rugged type of guy like Big Ben that was accurate, relatively mobile, made good decisions, was decisive and could throw the ball downfield decent. That's not what I'm comparing Slovis being (lol) only what I envision what I'd like in a quarterback and would work in Whipple's offense.  

I mean, yes?  Big Ben was a 1st round QB and was a mutant athlete at Miami (OH).  Have a buddy that played football there when Big Ben was the QB and said he was ridiculous....also a giant jerk store but that is hardly surprising.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I mean, yes?  Big Ben was a 1st round QB and was a mutant athlete at Miami (OH).  Have a buddy that played football there when Big Ben was the QB and said he was ridiculous....also a giant jerk store but that is hardly surprising.

Yeah, I think we would all like to have a QB who turns out to be the 11th pick in the NFL Draft.  I think NU could do pretty well with that type of QB.

  • Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...