Another article with some good stats and areas of immediate improvement

lo country

This article had some stats and information I hadn't seen.  Reading it, I came away with the thought that we are probably a player or 2 away, but more importantly a coach or 2 away.  And I am hoping we can get them.   

I liked this line a lot.  It really sums up all of our problems.  And puts the onus on our issues where it probably needs to be to start any type of change.

Nebraska has a three-win offensive line and that’s as simple a way as it can be put. 

And further proof of how "good" Dawson did on ST's:

Nebraska this season has allowed a kickoff return for a touchdown, allowed a punt return for a touchdown, allowed a blocked extra point to be returned for a score, given up a safety on a punt, and muffed a fair catch on a kickoff; it has the third-worst yards per punt average in the Big Ten (91st nationally) and has made only 8 of its 16 field goal attempts; it has a kickoff return team that has attempted the seventh-fewest returns in FBS football and a punt return team that gains the fourth-fewest yards per attempt. 

The return units don’t attempt to return kicks or punts. The field goal unit isn’t trusted to kick anything with any kind of distance. The punt coverage unit is 81st in average yards allowed per punt return. And despite finally finding a kicker who can create touchbacks, the kickoff coverage unit ranks 111th in average yards allowed per kick return.

https://hailvarsity.com/football/everything-is-a-mess-but-maybe-nebraska-is-one-of-the-best-3-win-teams-weve-seen/

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

This article had some stats and information I hadn't seen.  Reading it, I came away with the thought that we are probably a player or 2 away, but more importantly a coach or 2 away.  And I am hoping we can get them.   

I liked this line a lot.  It really sums up all of our problems.  And puts the onus on our issues where it probably needs to be to start any type of change.

Nebraska has a three-win offensive line and that’s as simple a way as it can be put. 

Nebraska this season has allowed a kickoff return for a touchdown, allowed a punt return for a touchdown, allowed a blocked extra point to be returned for a score, given up a safety on a punt, and muffed a fair catch on a kickoff; it has the third-worst yards per punt average in the Big Ten (91st nationally) and has made only 8 of its 16 field goal attempts; it has a kickoff return team that has attempted the seventh-fewest returns in FBS football and a punt return team that gains the fourth-fewest yards per attempt. 

The return units don’t attempt to return kicks or punts. The field goal unit isn’t trusted to kick anything with any kind of distance. The punt coverage unit is 81st in average yards allowed per punt return. And despite finally finding a kicker who can create touchbacks, the kickoff coverage unit ranks 111th in average yards allowed per kick return.

https://hailvarsity.com/football/everything-is-a-mess-but-maybe-nebraska-is-one-of-the-best-3-win-teams-weve-seen/

One thing I noticed Saturday was on kick off our first contact was around the 20-25.  Nearly every game I watch first contact is at the 10-15 yard line.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

One thing I noticed Saturday was on kick off our first contact was around the 20-25.  Nearly every game I watch first contact is at the 10-15 yard line.

Our ST play is almost non-existent. IIRC we average less than 3 yards on punt returns........Better play on ST alone would have us bowling this year IMO.

9 hours ago, lo country said:

In the 9yrs I played football I was never on the field for an opponents special teams touchdown.  I remember maybe two long returns but no TD's.  I played on a lot of bad teams.  The special teams upset me more than anything.  It's bonkers how bad they are.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, lo country said:

Nebraska this season has allowed a kickoff return for a touchdown, allowed a punt return for a touchdown, allowed a blocked extra point to be returned for a score, given up a safety on a punt, and muffed a fair catch on a kickoff;

I wonder how often (if ever) this collection of errors has ever happened to a single team in the same year? 

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No question about that.  We win at least 3 more games with good ST play.  Might even be 4-5 more.

Oklahoma, Michigan State, Maybe tOSU, and maybe Wisconsin could have been wins with better special teams play. For sure we could have taken tOSU and Wiscy to OT.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Ulty said:

I wonder how often (if ever) this collection of errors has ever happened to a single team in the same year? 

I can't imagine ever.  We had a miscue in almost every facet.  Well after losing to Wisky by you guessed it, one score, we now have the NCAA record for most 1 score losses in a single season at 7...

• Plus1 1