Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I wonder if we could get the team some medals of some sort for best 3-9 team in history. Put it next to the Natty trophies.

As I mentioned in the Spring, an inaugural SP+ Championship Trophy would be the ticket.  It appears that we have several among us that would happily take a selfie alongside this acclaim so it might become a real draw for younger fans.  Something to keep the sellout streak going!

• Plus1 1

In terms of Adrian not playing, I am not surprised as he has accumulated several injuries this season.  I may be alone with this opinion, but I am confident he will return for a 5th season.  

In stepping back for a moment, I do find it more than a little interesting that the top 3 career offensive leaders in program history have all come in the last decade (T Martinez / T Armstrong / A Martinez) during a time of great program futility.  Perhaps this should inform our decisions in the coming decade about the type of program we want.  One that is more balanced in terms of skill position production as well as offense vs. defense.  In Adrian's case, to be all-time leader in offensive production and never even qualify for a bowl game during your 4 years says a lot.  Oregon we are not...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

To me this game just became really scary, 

Thus far the team has shown no quit. If Iowa starts to take control of the game though, I could see the team start to pack it in. 

1) Nothing to play for but pride

2) Last game of the season

3) Starting QB and team leader is out. 

4) Domann is out 

5) It certainly has been a frustrating and mentally draining season. Tanks are already on E. 

I would be completely disappointed to see this, but it would be understandable if it happened. 

1 hour ago, Caven said:

Does Smothers have legs or is he more of a pocket passer?

He's probably a better all around runner than Martinez. He's more elusive and decisive, when the pocket breaks down he's running.

Throwing is the big question mark. He's not as polished as Martinez and he doesn't seem to be able to get zip on his passes. You're probably not going to see many deep passes (which will kill us), and he could struggle with intermediate passes and passes to the flats. Basically the best way we could loosen up the defense... Or he could just shock everyone and spin it like Brady :wasted

8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

To me this game just became really scary, 

Thus far the team has shown no quit. If Iowa starts to take control of the game though, I could see the team start to pack it in. 

1) Nothing to play for but pride

2) Last game of the season

3) Starting QB and team leader is out. 

4) Domann is out 

5) It certainly has been a frustrating and mentally draining season. Tanks are already on E. 

I would be completely disappointed to see this, but it would be understandable if it happened. 

Domann running the wildcat could provide the inspiration this team needs...  Much like Willis Reed in the 1970 playoffs for the New York Knicks.  Domann with a club on one hand running through tacklers in the 4th Quarter to spur the Huskers to victory.  The adrenaline rush alone would be overwhelming and would propel this team to a championship in 2022.  Man, woman and child!!!!!

• Plus1 1

As others have mentioned, they'll expect we'll try to run to win and so they'll play aggressively close to the line of scrimmage.

The reason this is so scary is because we just can't pass protect very well in the event that Frost does ask Logan to drop back to scan the field and throw a lot.

You'd hope that this staff has prepared for this situation...but then again basically all of the offensive staff just got fired.

Should be really fun.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOL....the best player on the team is always the back up QB.....until he's named the starter, then he sucks and we have no chance of winning.

Gotta love fans.

I really haven't seen many posters on this board saying Smothers was the answer. I think that crowd got all they could eat with the McNuggets disaster against Illinois last year.

But I'm sure there are a few here and there. There always are.