Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

Just think, if we lose on Friday, we will not only carry 5 straight losing seasons into our opener next year, but also 6 consecutive losses.  Futility U we are fast becoming.  Correction, 6 "close" consecutive losses.

While the major boosters may keep it going, the sellout streak in terms of bodies in seats, will effectively end in non-conference play next year.  

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

To me this game just became really scary, 

Thus far the team has shown no quit. If Iowa starts to take control of the game though, I could see the team start to pack it in. 

1) Nothing to play for but pride

2) Last game of the season

3) Starting QB and team leader is out. 

4) Domann is out 

5) It certainly has been a frustrating and mentally draining season. Tanks are already on E. 

I would be completely disappointed to see this, but it would be understandable if it happened. 

OR because they have nothing to lose they go out and just have fun. It’s the last game of the season-why not go out with a big BANG!:bigredn:

• Fire 1

I see Smothers as Taylor Martinez lite, and much more similar to the golden era of Husker QB's than the recent versions.  Run first and most of the passing is easier when defenses sell out to stop the run.  It should be interesting to watch and I'm always hopeful that a simplified playbook allows the team to play faster with less thinking.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Feeling the whole Martinez playing hurt and being a warrior wanting to play through it is a PR move. Great, glad you have that mindset, glad you're willing to go out there and keep playing through it to try and help your team, but at some point you being out there injured begins to hurt the team because you aren't able to go 100%, and that entire decision is on the coaches shoulders. This feels like a move to save whatever face is left for Martinez's 4 years of a starting quarterback to bring him back next year for his 5th year.

How must it feel for Smothers and the other QB's to know you are not good enough to go onto the field to take over for a guy who has the most losses in starting QB history at Nebraska, has a broken jaw, bad knee, and a bad shoulder. If that isn't motivation to either get better or transfer, I don't know what is.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

Feeling the whole Martinez playing hurt and being a warrior wanting to play through it is a PR move. Great, glad you have that mindset, glad you're willing to go out there and keep playing through it to try and help your team, but at some point you being out there injured begins to hurt the team because you aren't able to go 100%, and that entire decision is on the coaches shoulders. This feels like a move to save whatever face is left for Martinez's 4 years of a starting quarterback to bring him back next year for his 5th year.

How must it feel for Smothers and the other QB's to know you are not good enough to go onto the field to take over for a guy who has the most losses in starting QB history at Nebraska, has a broken jaw, bad knee, and a bad shoulder. If that isn't motivation to either get better or transfer, I don't know what is.  

Man...you really dislike Martinez.

Friday is your day, BoNeyard!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
14 minutes ago, Undone said:

I really haven't seen many posters on this board saying Smothers was the answer. I think that crowd got all they could eat with the McNuggets disaster against Illinois last year.

But I'm sure there are a few here and there. There always are.

That's right.  Now days it's not the back up QB.  It's the portal transfer that we know is coming that's the best player on the team.  Once he's here, then he sucks.

Sorry....I was living in the past.

14 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Just think, if we lose on Friday, we will not only carry 5 straight losing seasons into our opener next year, but also 6 consecutive losses.  Futility U we are fast becoming.  Correction, 6 "close" consecutive losses.

While the major boosters may keep it going, the sellout streak in terms of bodies in seats, will effectively end in non-conference play next year.  

For the sellout streak next year's season opener in Ireland vs Northwestern is enormous. We all know we are going to get a good serving size of kool-aid this off season from the local media and all, but if Nebraska wins the Northwestern game it will look like we had turned the corner. The excitement for Nebraska football will be back for the time being and with North Dakota and Georgia Southern starting off the home openers, a 3-0 start with Oklahoma coming to town will be huge. Lose to Northwestern in Ireland and the streak is over no later than that Georgia Southern game. 

Just now, BoNeyard said:

For the sellout streak next year's season opener in Ireland vs Northwestern is enormous. We all know we are going to get a good serving size of kool-aid this off season from the local media and all, but if Nebraska wins the Northwestern game it will look like we had turned the corner. The excitement for Nebraska football will be back for the time being and with North Dakota and Georgia Southern starting off the home openers, a 3-0 start with Oklahoma coming to town will be huge. Lose to Northwestern in Ireland and the streak is over no later than that Georgia Southern game. 

Essentially then we are in the same position as Illinois, 2021.  We know how that turned out.  After that outcome, I have little faith that this team will be any more prepared to face Northwestern in the opener in 2022 than Illinois in the opener in 2021.  

I wish I could see a "corner" to be turned, but all I see is a circle that we go round and round on.  Same game week, same stories, same faux momentum, same results...

With all the sh!t luck, "this close", poor ref calls, and blown opportunities we are due...

Friday Smothers makes Iowa feel like we have for years when facing a back up QB.  Dude goes off.  We win.  Frank Solich takes the trophy.  The curse is Broken.  Jessica announces the new OC, Faux Pelini and the fish tank guy storm the field while Thurston from Pender drains the dredge.........

Just remember. You can't spell "Friday" without "Nebraska is finally going to catch a break and win a game against a conference foe that is ranked so we can go into the off season feeling that maybe things will be better"

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3