Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

Smothers has looked nervous the few times he came in. I bet he'll settle down and do fine. The guys who came off the bench last week after sitting there watching most of the year did a great job; I bet that'll be the case with Smothers knowing that he's in for real. Our best offense really fits his style.
I'm hoping to see Haarberg and Masker in the game as well.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

Nope,  he'll throw for 300+, three touchdown passes and another 150 running with two scores.  Then this board will have an epic meltdown. :D

Unless Frost can cobble together a gameplan that's suited to his strengths, I don't see him doing much to be honest.  His spring game was rough, and it wasn't even a live scrimmage.

12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

???

The line has gone from Nebraska being favored by 4 to Iowa favored by 1.5

Yes. 3 and 1/2 (when I last checked) to 1 and 1/2 when I posted yesterday.  Line moving like that may be because of the QB situation.

1 hour ago, Hagg said:

Yes. 3 and 1/2 (when I last checked) to 1 and 1/2 when I posted yesterday.  Line moving like that may be because of the QB situation.

It likely would’ve moved some towards Iowa anyway but yeah, it’s definitely because of the QB news. I was simply clarifying that it had moved 5.5 pts and not only 2 pts. The total has dropped about 3 pts as well.  

I find the complete lack of respect for Iowa here amusing. 17th ranked (former #2) playing a 3-8 Nebraska squad who is without their starting QB and they’re only 1.5 point favorites. It’s a little consolation for the win we won’t get.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
8 hours ago, Caven said:

LOL.  We never change our game plan.  Doesn't matter who we are playing or what their strengths and weaknesses are.

That's just silly. While you don't make large scheme changes week to week, your coaches adjust a good amount, I watch a lot of Iowa football.  You will be loading the box a lot on Friday afternoon now, less so than you would have been with Martinez, with less DB on the field especiallywith all the injuries.  Smothers will be asked to beat you, with throws over 10 yards. You'll be pushing to stop the run and sitting on short routes. I expect more blitzing than usual to rattle the young QB. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Smothers has looked nervous the few times he came in. I bet he'll settle down and do fine. The guys who came off the bench last week after sitting there watching most of the year did a great job; I bet that'll be the case with Smothers knowing that he's in for real. Our best offense really fits his style.
I'm hoping to see Haarberg and Masker in the game as well.

I have been calling for Masker for 2 years but Frost doesn't listen to me. :)

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That's just silly. While you don't make large scheme changes week to week, your coaches adjust a good amount, I watch a lot of Iowa football.  You will be loading the box a lot on Friday afternoon now, less so than you would have been with Martinez, with less DB on the field especiallywith all the injuries.  Smothers will be asked to beat you, with throws over 10 yards. You'll be pushing to stop the run and sitting on short routes. I expect more blitzing than usual to rattle the young QB. 

Sorry - I should have used a sarcasm font.  It was more of the large scheme changes I was referring to.  I fully agree that we will likely be blitzing a lot more than usual, especially at the start of the game and the QB change will probably cause us to use a little more 1v1 in the secondary although I am not as confident in that prediction with several of our top pass defenders being out for the game.  Moss will certainly be on an island the entire game though.  Parker's goal will almost definitely be to rattle Logan early and often to try and control the narrative from the start.  I definitely think we go more 4-3-4 than 5-2-4 cash than we would have if Martinez were still the QB.  I am curious how we will use Belton since he usually plays cash.  Probably sub him in to replace one of our injured starters in the base formation.  There is also a decent chance that Campbell will be playing QB spy a lot more than he has yet this season although that would have been true with Martinez as well.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

To me this tips the hand that Adrian will be back next year. No way this kid doesn't at least give it a go on his last home game on senior day for some "clicking in the shoulder." Whatever you want to say about AM, he is pretty damn tough and has played with pain/injury before. He not an NFL guy so this would be it. 

Sounds more like they are shutting him down because we have nothing to gain from this game and start the healing process before next year. 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, NativeJoe said:

Heinrich Haarberg should get equal time and opportunity to see what he can do. He actually has a "quarterback" arm, he's not just a great athlete that's a decent quarterback.

Can see HH getting in some running packages they know he can execute, might even see both on the field at the same time. Wish this wasn't a short week, cuts down on opportunity to be creative. 

9 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

To me this tips the hand that Adrian will be back next year. No way this kid doesn't at least give it a go on his last home game on senior day for some "clicking in the shoulder." Whatever you want to say about AM, he is pretty damn tough and has played with pain/injury before. He not an NFL guy so this would be it. 

Sounds more like they are shutting him down because we have nothing to gain from this game and start the healing process before next year. 

While they didn't have eligibility left, Tommy Armstrong & Taylor Martinez both watched their final games in street clothes. 

18 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

In terms of Adrian not playing, I am not surprised as he has accumulated several injuries this season.  I may be alone with this opinion, but I am confident he will return for a 5th season.  

In stepping back for a moment, I do find it more than a little interesting that the top 3 career offensive leaders in program history have all come in the last decade (T Martinez / T Armstrong / A Martinez) during a time of great program futility.  Perhaps this should inform our decisions in the coming decade about the type of program we want.  One that is more balanced in terms of skill position production as well as offense vs. defense.  In Adrian's case, to be all-time leader in offensive production and never even qualify for a bowl game during your 4 years says a lot.  Oregon we are not...

Our system and futility has little to do with these 3 on top of the record books. The vast majority of progrums have seen most of their passing records set in the past decade simply due to how the sport is played these days vs. 20+ Years ago.

I don’t disagree we need to be more balanced across the board but, even if we were, said qbs would still be setting records with how much of an advantage offensive football has these days