Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In actual fact, Nebraska has a multi-dimensional and highly successful offense, until it gets inside the Red Zone and/or needs to score on a final possession. 

Did you know the Nebraska offense is #2 in yards per play in the Big 10 and #18 in all of college football?  You can't do that with an inept offensive line or one-dimensional scheme. Something else is going on with this team, and it's mostly between their ears. 

Apparently you can do that with at least a couple inept linemen. I don’t disagree there is plenty wrong between the ears but look at Benhart, as an example. Now think how much things could improve with just one change.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

In the conventional drop-back passing game, they are involved.  Again, this is the difference between scheme and philosophy.  Ideally, you have a good blend of run and pass using your skill position players.  

And, if we had a good O line and RB play, we would be calling more RB runs.  This probably would be taking away more from called pass plays.  Which....would automatically cut down on QB runs since there would be fewer scrambles/sacks.

Yep, this is philosophy and scheme.  

When your O line sucks and your RBs can't be dominating runners, you have to change your philosophy and scheme to account for that.  Which, causes more passing plays to be called...which causes more scrambles and sacks.....because.......your O line sucks.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Apparently you can do that with at least a couple inept linemen. I don’t disagree there is plenty wrong between the ears but look at Benhart, as an example. Now think how much things could improve with just one change.

Oh absolutely. 

While I do believe in things like focus and killer instinct, my best theory for a team like Nebraska losing so much is the weakest link theory. You can do a lot of stuff really well, but if you have just one weak offensive linemen, one weak defensive linemen, and a couple weak members of your secondary, they will get exploited in crunch time. If your QB and playcaller do well for most of the game, but tighten up in crunch time, that's another weak link in an otherwise good team. If you don't have a lot of bench strength, that will also come back to bite you. 

There's this wild stat that shows Nebraska is #4 in the nation in total yards per play: the combination of offensive yards gained, and defensive yards given. That would appear to be a great metric for total success, and Nebraska ranks one slot ahead of Alabama. 

Weakest link?  We are almost dead last in special teams and turnovers. 

Maybe Nebraska really is close. Maybe a lot of stuff still needs to happen. I just think they've gotten too used to losing, and that creeps into everything.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In actual fact, Nebraska has a multi-dimensional and highly successful offense, until it gets inside the Red Zone and/or needs to score on a final possession. 

Did you know the Nebraska offense is #2 in yards per play in the Big 10 and #18 in all of college football?  You can't do that with an inept offensive line or one-dimensional scheme. Something else is going on with this team, and it's mostly between their ears. 

You can do that with an inept offensive line between the 20s with an ultra athletic QB who can get away from pressure, the same one a lot of folks want to move along, they should be careful what they wish for.  In the red zone where you have no space you cannot, the line must be fixed there.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You can do that with an inept offensive line between the 20s with an ultra athletic QB who can get away from pressure, the same one a lot of folks want to move along, they should be careful what they wish for.  In the red zone where you have no space you cannot, the line must be fixed there.

I think our worst offensive linemen are also gassed and desperate in the fourth quarter. 

Still............that streak of game ending drives with no points to show for it means play-calling and decision making have to take some of the heat. 

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think our worst offensive linemen are also gassed and desperate in the fourth quarter. 

Still............that streak of game ending drives with no points to show for it means play-calling and decision making have to take some of the heat. 

Certainly any statistic that stark is likely an encompassing systemic issue.  I would generally agree however that clever play designs can scheme guys open and get you yards between the 20s...and then completely fail you when you simply cannot win up front when the field shrinks in the red zone.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Which should've came to an end this past Saturday, but once a again an error by the OLine causes it. I wonder how things would've look had Teddy stayed healthy.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Caven said:

Sorry - I should have used a sarcasm font.  It was more of the large scheme changes I was referring to.  I fully agree that we will likely be blitzing a lot more than usual, especially at the start of the game and the QB change will probably cause us to use a little more 1v1 in the secondary although I am not as confident in that prediction with several of our top pass defenders being out for the game.  Moss will certainly be on an island the entire game though.  Parker's goal will almost definitely be to rattle Logan early and often to try and control the narrative from the start.  I definitely think we go more 4-3-4 than 5-2-4 cash than we would have if Martinez were still the QB.  I am curious how we will use Belton since he usually plays cash.  Probably sub him in to replace one of our injured starters in the base formation.  There is also a decent chance that Campbell will be playing QB spy a lot more than he has yet this season although that would have been true with Martinez as well.

I have never understood the philosophy of blitzing a new QB

It makes his reads easier and quicker for him.  

The hardest thing for most new QB's is reading the defense. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh absolutely. 

While I do believe in things like focus and killer instinct, my best theory for a team like Nebraska losing so much is the weakest link theory. You can do a lot of stuff really well, but if you have just one weak offensive linemen, one weak defensive linemen, and a couple weak members of your secondary, they will get exploited in crunch time. If your QB and playcaller do well for most of the game, but tighten up in crunch time, that's another weak link in an otherwise good team. If you don't have a lot of bench strength, that will also come back to bite you. 

There's this wild stat that shows Nebraska is #4 in the nation in total yards per play: the combination of offensive yards gained, and defensive yards given. That would appear to be a great metric for total success, and Nebraska ranks one slot ahead of Alabama. 

Weakest link?  We are almost dead last in special teams and turnovers. 

Maybe Nebraska really is close. Maybe a lot of stuff still needs to happen. I just think they've gotten too used to losing, and that creeps into everything.

Totally agree. Losing is a habit, just like winning is. We are very close yet so far away. I guess that’s why we’ve been turning the corner for frikken ever.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I have never understood the philosophy of blitzing a new QB

It makes his reads easier and quicker for him.  

The hardest thing for most new QB's is reading the defense. 

Well, if you bury him a few times, he starts thinking more about self preservation and less about his job.  It severely shortens the amount of time he is willing to expend reading the defense. I’d sure start with pressure on a noob.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1