Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

Might be a baller?  Might be a gamer?  Might be a winner?  Who knows? 

Let the kid play, and enjoy this one game.

And please don't don't magnify everything.  This isn't "do or die".  It's a football game vs friggin Iowa.  Just let it be, and enjoy your leftover turkey! :)

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1

I think Logan will be fine. Did anyone else notice Nebraska taking up another 5-7 seconds in the play clock last weekend? They even found a nice rhythm doing so. I'm glad they're using the Big ten strategy for once. It benefitted them well against Wisconsin. 

All three facets should be playing inspired football. The defense should dominate, and that alone should give us a good chance. The key as we all know is special teams. We need to kick it in the end zone every time. Make them earn it. 

Also, Frost needs to take the points. 3 will feel like 7, as it usually does in this conference. I know we have been far from automatic, but we have to kick. 

Start Marvin Scott. He is steady and is a natural between the tackles. We need that desperately. Sprinkle in more option and get Betts involved. 

I'm calling my shot: Cam Taylor Britt or Marquel Dismuke is going to get a very important interception that will swing this game if Nebraska is ready to seize a victory. It will be had. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

That was a 55yd in the air rope. (Own 25 to to opp 30) 

look, Smothers is gonna struggle and have some dumb s#!t most likely. But he can also make plays. He’s been sitting back, practicing hard, probs has the playbook for him nailed down. As per usual, it will all depend on the OL 

i really wish AM was available but I’m thinkin real positive for the backup. He can make plays and hopefully gain momentum throughout the game. 

• Haha 1

I haven't browsed every page in this thread, but if the O-line is the reason AM was so bad at crucial times...what is going to be different? The bigger question for me is HOW DOES NEBRASKA NOT HAVE A MASSIVE LINE? Our strength program was the model for D-I at one time??? Our walk-on program, too. WTAF?! Not having big strong dudes on the lines is simply not acceptable here.

10 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I haven't browsed every page in this thread, but if the O-line is the reason AM was so bad at crucial times...what is going to be different? The bigger question for me is HOW DOES NEBRASKA NOT HAVE A MASSIVE LINE? Our strength program was the model for D-I at one time??? Our walk-on program, too. WTAF?! Not having big strong dudes on the lines is simply not acceptable here.

Steve Pederson, and Bill Callahan happened.

We're getting back there . Our guys,  even my favorite two linemen Corcoran and Benhart, are still very young with a chance to become much better with better coaching. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

It is Austin Allen’s last game. He will be ready to play and on fire. Smothers needs to keep feeding this beast. He is our best chance of winning and he will be inspired to end his career with a win. Austin is a stud and will be sorely missed. He has been one of our most consistent weapons this season and I am looking forward to see him on Sundays. This kid got heart and he can bail smothers out in tough situations. I really hope Frost features him a lot this Friday. Toure is more of a deep threat but I still have my doubts about smothers’ ability to throw the deep ball. I hope he surprises us all.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:00 PM, All Hail Herbie said:

In terms of Adrian not playing, I am not surprised as he has accumulated several injuries this season.  I may be alone with this opinion, but I am confident he will return for a 5th season.  

In stepping back for a moment, I do find it more than a little interesting that the top 3 career offensive leaders in program history have all come in the last decade (T Martinez / T Armstrong / A Martinez) during a time of great program futility.  Perhaps this should inform our decisions in the coming decade about the type of program we want.  One that is more balanced in terms of skill position production as well as offense vs. defense.  In Adrian's case, to be all-time leader in offensive production and never even qualify for a bowl game during your 4 years says a lot.  Oregon we are not...

Just a product of the times really. The game has evolved 

Just thought of something.  Wonder how things would have been different if they would have waited till tomorrow to announce 2AM wasn't playing.  Secretly prepare Smothers the same as he is already, but don't announce it.

It would have been interesting watching Vegas over a 24 hour period.  It would have possibly changed how Iowa prepared and game planned.  

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just thought of something.  Wonder how things would have been different if they would have waited till tomorrow to announce 2AM wasn't playing.  Secretly prepare Smothers the same as he is already, but don't announce it.

It would have been interesting watching Vegas over a 24 hour period.  It would have possibly changed how Iowa prepared and game planned.  

That would have been interesting.  I've always seen Frost try to hide injuries and use it as an advantage, now all of a sudden he doesn't?  I would love to know the thought process.