Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

7 hours ago, ZRod said:

I mean we could get into a whole huge debate about new age and old school strength development, but I also don't know exactly what Dawson has them doing. No doubt they are stronger than 4 years ago though.

Static strength can still help develop flexibility and ROM if you use proper form and full ROM on lifts. The guys in the 90s were pretty athletic and flexible pulling and getting down field and Boyd probably had them on a similar program to what we do now.

I think most of our OL issues are experience and coaching/technique related. Things like having a low hat during run blocking, keeping your feet moving after you make contact, not letting defenders get into your body but alos not lunging at them, anticipating their moves, staying with blocks long enough.

Here is your problem as Duval doesn't use full ROM which leads us to being stiff and not flexible.  He focuses to much on the powerlifting aspect of S&C and that also hinders our flexibility.  He needs to quit worrying about our guys during 1/4 squats for 800 lbs and actually focus on ROM with lighter weights and more reps.  

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Cornbred said:

Option with a QB that hasn't started all year and hasn't worked with the backs on timing for the pitch. Might be a recipe for disaster with only 5 real practice days.

On the contrary, he's had quite a bit of reps with the number 1's the last three or four weeks as Martinez has rarely practiced because of injury.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

He quick and fast, mainly because he will be the healthiest player on the field.

When the game ends tho, he will realize he has to put on 10lbs this off season.  Bulk up.  Big ten defenses hit hard and swarm tackle.  For one game tho, he'll be alright.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Here is your problem as Duval doesn't use full ROM which leads us to being stiff and not flexible.  He focuses to much on the powerlifting aspect of S&C and that also hinders our flexibility.  He needs to quit worrying about our guys during 1/4 squats for 800 lbs and actually focus on ROM with lighter weights and more reps.  

Is this document or just conjecture? I didn't notice anything unusual in the lifting videos that came out over the summer.

45 minutes ago, admo said:

He quick and fast, mainly because he will be the healthiest player on the field.

When the game ends tho, he will realize he has to put on 10lbs this off season.  Bulk up.  Big ten defenses hit hard and swarm tackle.  For one game tho, he'll be alright.

I look back and think about TMart exploding early, and AM.....Maybe Smothers?  Both TMart and AM caught defenses by surprise.  Not a lot of game film on either one.  DC's didn't know what to expect and it was hard to adjust on the fly with no real film or "tells".  I am hoping that throwing in a QB with little to know film will give us an edge.  Iowa stacks the box to "test his arm" and he gets some easy completions.  Does the DC pull guys out of the box or does he think it's lucky and keeps 8 in the box with Smothers carves them up?  Doesn't respect his legs and Frost and Co realize this is the chance to gain some much need 4 year momentum heading into 2022 and runs Smothers ragged.....

Throw in Yant with truly just one game of film (NW) and I think we might catch them and have them confused.  We get a score or 2 ahead and they won't catch us.  Their O is not built to score.   

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Is this document or just conjecture? I didn't notice anything unusual in the lifting videos that came out over the summer.

It is personally seen.  I have also been to some S&C clinics that he has been at.  He his a huge proponent of old Husker Power and still believes that it is the best way.  We have gotten away from the up-to-date stuff that we were starting to do under Dobson and somewhat continued with Philipp.  The one thing I really liked about Philipp is that he wanted to combine both new and old but got met with harsh criticism and Riley didn't help much by giving the players a choice on whether they wanted to lift or not.   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

23 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Times are different, but the game is not.  Avoid penalties, turnovers, and tactical errors and your probability of success remains high.  The Chiefs are a great example of offensive diversity.  TE red zone runs, WR pop passes, end arounds, etc. are plays that keep a defense guessing with the run game, while protecting the football.  

Not sure what that has to do with why Martinez is at the top of offensive records at Nebraska but yes having solid execution helps you to be better.