Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

Exactly. A coach with 4 consecutive losing seasons isn't going to raid the transfer portal for difference makers. 

Alberts didn't have the b***s to fire Scott.

He'd better fire him if we don't have a winning season next year. 3-9 is absolutely inexcusable. 

• Thanks 1

Kudos to Smothers. Played his heart out and really wanted to get us this game. I believe the play calling held us back in this second half more than anything. I won't fault him for that fumble as it didn't really lead to much and on the safety he had zero time to do anything before there was a guy in his face. Even on the INT it seemed the guy may have ran the wrong route or stopped when he looked to be breaking it to the endzone. But he was trying to make a play for his team and that is mostly due to inexperience. He could have maybe lived to fight another down but the pressure was on and I though he handled himself very well today. 

Whether he should start next year is up for debate but I liked what I saw out there from him. I still think we need a grad transfer to come in and take command of the offense as Smothers still needs some time to develop. I wouldn't be mad if we named him the starter next year, but I think there will be a better player in the portal. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It will come down to turnovers.  100 to 200 more yards passing doesn't mean much with 3 picks and redzone FG attempts. 

Killers. The offensive production went downhill quick about the time of that blocked punt. Just never got much rhythm going after that...

43 minutes ago, Undone said:

He'd better fire him if we don't have a winning season next year. 3-9 is absolutely inexcusable. 

I think he not only has balls, but he’s is methodical.  Like Hannibal Lector. Don’t think he’s not plotting at least three different moves right now. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Undone said:

14 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I think he not only has balls, but he’s is methodical.  Like Hannibal Lector. Don’t think he’s not plotting at least three different moves right now. 

Alberts is playing chess while Frost has been playing checkers with his play calling. 

As for the original topic…Smothers is legit. Still rough around the edges, but he’s good. Makes me wonder what would have happened had we used him earlier when Martinez was hurt…

Oh well. I’m kinda hoping we just get someone to push Smothers via the transfer portal…but yeah, Smothers starting next year isn’t going to be a bad thing IMO…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Alberts is playing chess while Frost has been playing checkers with his play calling. 

As for the original topic…Smothers is legit. Still rough around the edges, but he’s good. Makes me wonder what would have happened had we used him earlier when Martinez was hurt…

Oh well. I’m kinda hoping we just get someone to push Smothers via the transfer portal…but yeah, Smothers starting next year isn’t going to be a bad thing IMO…

Smothers won't be able to run the ball 15-20 times a game next year, as a full-time starter. I like QB run game, but it needs to be a complement of the offense, not the base of the offense. Frost needs to be able to find a way to run with the I-backs. That starts with improving the talent in the running back room and improving the o-line. 

• Plus1 4
24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Smothers won't be able to run the ball 15-20 times a game next year, as a full-time starter. I like QB run game, but it needs to be a complement of the offense, not the base of the offense. Frost needs to be able to find a way to run with the I-backs. That starts with improving the talent in the running back room and improving the o-line. 

Yep, loved the game plan for today. Logan is pretty damn good running the option a d he’s not afraid to cut up the middle fir a few tough yards but I doubt he’d  make it through an entire season in the B1G running it like that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
43 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

17 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yep, loved the game plan for today. Logan is pretty damn good running the option a d he’s not afraid to cut up the middle fir a few tough yards but I doubt he’d  make it through an entire season in the B1G running it like that. 

Doing what we did yesterday running the QB will get us in exactly the same spot with Martinez, having the QB hurt. I whined about it all last offseason also, if the QB is your leading rusher you will not have good outcomes.

25 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Doing what we did yesterday running the QB will get us in exactly the same spot with Martinez, having the QB hurt. I whined about it all last offseason also, if the QB is your leading rusher you will not have good outcomes.

Iowa also adjusted well in the 2nd half and took away a lot of those outside option runs with hard rushes outside. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Probably the most frustrating part of this entire season. Everyone knew that Martinez carrying this offense with his legs was not a long term winning strategy, probably since his true sophomore year (maybe even his freshman year), but here we are not being able to effectively run with anyone else but the QB... Logan won't make it through B1G play next year if we use him the same way, and if he puts on weight he's going to lose that agility that makes him what he is.

I think our QBs are fine. They should have us regularly winning the West. We absolutely have to get the best OL and RBs we can find right now.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Probably the most frustrating part of this entire season. Everyone knew that Martinez carrying this offense with his legs was not a long term winning strategy, probably since his true sophomore year (maybe even his freshman year), but here we are not being able to effectively run with anyone else but the QB... Logan won't make it through B1G play next year if we use him the same way, and if he puts on weight he's going to lose that agility that makes him what he is.

I think our QBs are fine. They should have us regularly winning the West. We absolutely have to get the best OL and RBs we can find right now.

I wouldn't trust Smothers or Haarberg over the course of a long season. I would rather see a transfer QB come in, who has some starting experience. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I wouldn't trust Smothers or Haarberg over the course of a long season. I would rather see a transfer QB come in, who has some starting experience. 

If we could protect them they would do everything we need. But we can't...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1