Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

I was at tOSU game. 

as bad as it looks on TV, it’s even worse in person. AM runs for his LIFE on most pass plays. Within seconds he’s rushed, has a d-end in his face.  When he does have time, to his own detriment, he often hangs on too long. 

when he has time and can get to his 1st/2nd read quickly, he’s really really good. When he’s decisive in his decision to run, he’s also really really dangerous. There is no middle ground with him, unfortunately he’s either under extreme duress or making a big play. 
too bad for us he  was under duress much too often 

• Plus1 4
  • 2 weeks later...

So wt all of the action by the coaches in trying to secure a portal QB or even 2 QBs, I wonder if Smothers ends up jumping into the portal himself??

I can't see his style of play working with our new OC.  He's got to feel like the odd man out.  AM leaves and clears the path but the path is now filled with fog. 

Maybe.  I feel like the coaches obviously think they can do better than what they have and that probably doesn't sit too well with Logan.  There probably telling him he needs another year but it's hard not to think they couldn't just go back to the portal again next year.  But I am a little surprised people are so down on Smothers, I thought he played pretty dang well and had Frost not gone into a shell when the game got tight we likely win the game and everybody talks about how he should have played all year.  One thing that Adrian really struggled with the last few years (but seemed better this year) was completing the short easy throws.  Adrian was always throwing short passes in the dirt or throwing where the receiver had to make a tough catch instead of in stride.  Smothers was money under 15 yards.  There's just no way they'd be able to run him like they did vs Iowa an entire season in the B1G.I think he'd work better in Frost' year 1 offense where we played fast but I don't think we'll be going back.

I suspect he will get his chances in Lincoln.  He’s a excellent, smart QB and I’m sure Whipple will want a second QB with wheels.  There will be packages for him, especially in red zone areas.  He’s not a bad thrower and avoid the sack.  The O line is going to be about the same next year, if Cam returns. If not, a run oriented offense may be our only viable way to go.  A statue QB absolutely require great pass pro. It will take 5 O line transfers in, plus a super spring and fall camps to get us to an “average” O line.  Whipple will have ideas on ways to help the O line in the run game cause you can’t pass your way thru the Big Ten defenses with swing passes and 5 yard curls etc.  

He knows how to use the screen game and draws etc.  That helps, but three or 4 of each is about the max per game.  We need to teach our linemen to block well even in those. 

1 minute ago, Farms said:

Maybe.  I feel like the coaches obviously think they can do better than what they have and that probably doesn't sit too well with Logan. 

Every player on every team could feel this way.

It's the coach's jobs to out recruit and find players that are better than what they have.....at every position.  It's the player's jobs to work their asses off so those new players don't take their jobs.

I'm not writing off the two QBs we have right now. However, I still think it's good to go find a transfer QB.  Once all are on campus, Smothers and Haarberg need to work to maker sure they are the starter.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's the coach's jobs to out recruit and find players that are better than what they have.....at every position.  It's the player's jobs to work their asses off so those new players don't take their jobs.

I'm not writing off the two QBs we have right now. However, I still think it's good to go find a transfer QB.  Once all are on campus, Smothers and Haarberg need to work to maker sure they are the starter.

There was a coach that just a few years ago that said this out loud to the team.  I can't remember who.

I think they were talking about the new recruiting class that just signed and said something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "We're excited about them, but it's time for them to get to work.  Because starting today I'm trying to recruit a kid that's better than them and will want to take their job."

Anyone remember who that was?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Right, but obviously QB is a lot different cause you rarely split reps.  In that position it would be tough to think you waited it out and it's your time now that Adrian is gone but then they just bring in somebody else.  Especially if he feels the offense is going in a different direction but I sure hope he sticks around and battles it out regardless.  I believe Haarberg has the highest ceiling of either of them and I think he is more likely to benefit from the OC change.    

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

There was a coach that just a few years ago that said this out loud to the team.  I can't remember who.

I think they were talking about the new recruiting class that just signed and said something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "We're excited about them, but it's time for them to get to work.  Because starting today I'm trying to recruit a kid that's better than them and will want to take their job."

Anyone remember who that was?

Found it.  It was Zach Duvall.

https://footballscoop.com/news/nebraska-strength-coach-zach-duvals-message-players-coaches-job-bring-better-talent

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.  And if a transfer QB is one-and-done, it shouldn't be upsetting.  But if a new transfer QB has 3 years to play, it might cause a little concern. 

31 minutes ago, Farms said:

Right, but obviously QB is a lot different cause you rarely split reps.  In that position it would be tough to think you waited it out and it's your time now that Adrian is gone but then they just bring in somebody else.  Especially if he feels the offense is going in a different direction but I sure hope he sticks around and battles it out regardless.  I believe Haarberg has the highest ceiling of either of them and I think he is more likely to benefit from the OC change.    

I honestly can't imagine being a QB coming out of HS.  You have to have the attitude that I'm committing to this school, but there's a good chance I won't stay there.

Which, I wish it wasn't the case.

I have no idea what Smothers' is thinking, but from an outsider's perspective, I think a lot of these players understand their role and situation better than we might think. Division one CFB has been a big boy business for decades and very few positions are ever safe... particularly the QB position. So, if you're in Smothers' shoes and you're upset or disappointed that your coaches may be bringing in a transfer QB this season... I'm not sure what to tell you. That's the business side of CFB and you're an adult now.

But that's why it may not be fair to speculate how he's feeling. Dude might understand the situation 100% and be ready to compete. Maybe not. Either way, I will almost always support a coach's decision to look at the transfer portal to get better unless there's a really good argument not to.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I have no idea what Smothers' is thinking, but from an outsider's perspective, I think a lot of these players understand their role and situation better than we might think. Division one CFB has been a big boy business for decades and very few positions are ever safe... particularly the QB position. So, if you're in Smothers' shoes and you're upset or disappointed that your coaches may be bringing in a transfer QB this season... I'm not sure what to tell you. That's the business side of CFB and you're an adult now.

But that's why it may not be fair to speculate how he's feeling. Dude might understand the situation 100% and be ready to compete. Maybe not. Either way, I will almost always support a coach's decision to look at the transfer portal to get better unless there's a really good argument not to.

I've stopped feeling sorry for players in college a long time ago that are in this situation or lose a starting job or don't see the field.  There are literally thousands of players in HS that would love the opportunity they have to play at this level, but they aren't good enough.  If you want to keep your position, win the position or not have someone take your job, work harder and play better.  Sometimes that's just not possible.  But, at least you had the chance.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've stopped feeling sorry for players in college a long time ago that are in this situation or lose a starting job or don't see the field.  There are literally thousands of players in HS that would love the opportunity they have to play at this level, but they aren't good enough.  If you want to keep your position, win the position or not have someone take your job, work harder and play better.  Sometimes that's just not possible.  But, at least you had the chance.

Plus, if player is upset, you can always go to the bank with a little NIL money on the side.  And really enjoy your time as a student-athlete $$$$ :)

59 minutes ago, Enhance said:

the jump from high school to college is much bigger now, than it ever was before. asking a lot from these young kids. coaches need to be upfront with their kids.

i can see one of the 3 QB's moving on next fall.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, hunter49 said:

the jump from high school to college is much bigger now, than it ever was before. asking a lot from these young kids. coaches need to be upfront with their kids.

i can see one of the 3 QB's moving on next fall.

The jump from high school is not bigger now.  It has always been rare for a true freshman start.  The only difference now is that the talented back ups have an opportunity to move to the front of the line at other schools.

We lost Adrian.  That leaves 5 QBs on the roster, 2 of which are on scholarship.  I would assume you are considering only Logan, Heinrich, and Matt as the 3 QBs?  I don't see Matt going anywhere anytime soon.  Spencer and Jarrett likely wouldn't get any interest in the portal at all.  Logan and Heinrich have legit shots to win the starting position next year and both still have 4 years eligibility.  Even if a transfer is brought in for competition, neither would really have a reason to transfer at this point unless they just have no desire to compete.  If that is the case, where could they go and not find competition?

Everyone stays in that room for the foreseeable future. 

image.png.84e85228ef5e06bdaae60217ce426f15.png