Logan Smothers to start v Iowa

I liked the diamond formation we were using running a fair amount of option out of it, and it was working Iowa really never stopped it we got backed up near our endzone got fancy and went away from it for a safety. Then we fumbled the ball and we just got scared and stopped running it. Iowa never really stopped it. I think and a lot of people agree with me that should be our offense going forward. You can do a lot out of it especially it you have wr that can motion into the backfield.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ndobney said:

I liked the diamond formation we were using running a fair amount of option out of it, and it was working Iowa really never stopped it we got backed up near our endzone got fancy and went away from it for a safety. Then we fumbled the ball and we just got scared and stopped running it. Iowa never really stopped it. I think and a lot of people agree with me that should be our offense going forward. You can do a lot out of it especially it you have wr that can motion into the backfield.

What did we run it, 5 times? And you claim Iowa never stopped it over 5 whole plays? Same thing as the option earlier in the year,  these are wrinkles, not an entire offense.

Even though he made some of the same bad mistakes that got Martinez in trouble in games, it was Smothers' 1st start vs. 4th year of starting.  I'm not sure if Smothers is the future or not, but for Frost to save his job he needs to win immediately which probably means a starting QB transfer would be more helpful.  It is too bad Smothers did not get more starts this season. It wouldn't have been hard to top the 0 wins since the Northwestern game and he could have gotten some valuable experience. 

• Thanks 1

Smother's is not the answer. He's 25 pounds too light to be a runner and he has little to no arm talent. Another great character kid but we messed up recruiting him as the heir apparent to Adrian. Kid can't throw a 10 yard out with any more zip on it than I can.  I hope there's a savior in the portal otherwise Haarberg is your next QB. His weaknesses can actually improve with development. The noodle arm a kid has at 20 is the same noodle arm he will have at 25 no matter what coach he has.

11 hours ago, runningblind said:

What did we run it, 5 times? And you claim Iowa never stopped it over 5 whole plays? Same thing as the option earlier in the year,  these are wrinkles, not an entire offense.

Last four drives we got away from. It we ran it 5 times but we can 20 other plays that it set up. Fake the option pass. RPO option they all work together same formation keep them off balanced we abandoned that

I do find it ironic that everyone ripped Martinez for being a choke artist. Then poor Logan manages to make every mistake in one game that Adrian made over multiple losses this season; lost fumble, sack for a safety, missed open receivers, really bad INT. But now everyone is all hush hush about it when it looks like it's not so much one guy's fault as a collective team problem.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I do find it ironic that everyone ripped Martinez for being a choke artist. Then poor Logan manages to make every mistake in one game that Adrian made over multiple losses this season; lost fumble, sack for a safety, missed open receivers, really bad INT. But now everyone is all hush hush about it when it looks like it's not so much one guy's fault as a collective team problem.

Its a frigging Oline problem and anyone who has yet to recognize it is wilfully ignorant or has no idea how football works. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Definitely not his fault he ran into a buzzsaw defense known as the Iowa Hawkeyes.

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Its a frigging Oline problem and anyone who has yet to recognize it is wilfully ignorant or has no idea how football works. 

I tend to agree. There is a lot of responsibility on the OL for the poor offensive play. It’s easier to blame the QB for the bad and praise the QB for the good. But both start upfront with the OL.

• Plus1 4
On 11/29/2021 at 12:51 AM, chamrocck said:

I tend to agree. There is a lot of responsibility on the OL for the poor offensive play. It’s easier to blame the QB for the bad and praise the QB for the good. But both start upfront with the OL.

It's way easier to blame the offensive line, because if you blame the offensive line nobody is going to get up in arms about it.

They're just sort of nameless, faceless people you can refer to generically as "the offensive line".

Blame the QB for his own mistakes and whoa buddy a lot of people who like to live vicariously through a college football player are going to take it very personally. 

You'll never catch anyone blaming the QB for the mistakes of an offensive lineman, but people constantly blame linemen for the mistakes of a QB.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's way easier to blame the offensive line, because if you blame the offensive line nobody is going to get up in arms about it.

They're just sort of nameless, faceless people you can refer to generically as "the offensive line".

Blame the QB for his own mistakes and whoa buddy a lot of people who like to live vicariously through a college football player are going to take it very personally. 

You'll never catch anyone blaming the QB for the mistakes of an offensive lineman, but people constantly blame linemen for the mistakes of a QB.

That's crap. Anyone paying attention at all knows the names and faces of the weakest olinemen. You need me to share, its Benhart and Corcoran. --

Also crap that no one criticizes the QB for poor line play. Oh... Martinez held the ball for 3 seconds... he should've gotten it out in 1.5 its all is his fault rings in the mouth of every Martinez basher there is (slight exaggeration.) - Martinez fumble was all his fault the should have known Corcoran was going to give him half a second on his blind side and thrown the ball away. "Martinez should have kept on the zone read and recognized that Benhart was getting pushed 3 yards into the backfield (again) when we tried to run to the right.

I don't know if you're simply trying to flip the script and play devils advocate with this post or not, but it is so far beyond the realm of reality that I feel as though I may be missing the sarcasm emoji in your post. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2