Calling out all Frost Supporters

Just now, Jeremy said:

Maybe. Question, though. Did either of these guys even get the ball once today? Did they get it a whole lot during the season? 

Betts caught at least one catch today and has been a pretty solid pet of the offense this season. Highly talented with huge potential.

Brown is kind of buried on the depth chart but should play a good role next year.

10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That is the perfect way to guarantee recruiting falls off the face of the earth.  We'd be dead last in the division every year. That might be the one thing that could get me to stop watching this team. 

Aren't we dead last in recruiting now?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Frost's run pass ratio is usually around 55/45, and if NU were leading more games it would trend closer to 60-40. I think where Frost's offense has to improve is being able to run the ball with the running backs. I like a running QB, but the QB run game can't be used as often as it has been under Martinez/Luke/Smothers. 

I totally agree with your last sentence. But the problem is that Martinez and Smothers don’t have a super high potential when sitting in the pocket on many of Frost’s slow-developing pass plays. They just can’t read a defense quite well enough, they’re not the right kind of guy.

They’re run-first guys.

That’s where the whole conversation about who comes in as OC gets so interesting AND confusing; who’s playing QB next year?

In my opinion, this roster’s potential would be maximized by keeping the scheme the same but finding a throw-first guy out of the transfer portal.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

In the past 18 years, trying to throw the ball, Nebraska has nothing to show for it. Why keep trying to do what everyone else is doing, and continue to fail? We made it to the B1G Title game once, and what did Wisconsin do to absolutely DESTROY us?

I'll give you a hint. It wasn't by throwing.

Wisconsin only ran the ball 66% of the time that year and 63% the year before. 

14 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

In the past 18 years, trying to throw the ball, Nebraska has nothing to show for it. Why keep trying to do what everyone else is doing, and continue to fail? We made it to the B1G Title game once, and what did Wisconsin do to absolutely DESTROY us?

Ah yes, of course, all Nebraska has to do is run 70%+ of the time AND wait for multiple teams in the division to be on probation so we can finally win a conference championship. It's so obvious now. Oh wait, we should probably convince the winner of the other division to hire a coach who has married himself to a defensive philosophy that only worked against 2010s Big 12 offenses just to be safe.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We made it to the B1G Title game once, and what did Wisconsin do to absolutely DESTROY us?

Yeah but they had James White, Melvin Gordon, and Montee Ball at RB that year. We don’t exactly have those guys right now.

20 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

This dude wants to run the ball over 70% of the time yet Wisconsin has NEVER ran the ball that much. They're around 61% to 66% at their highest run percentage in past 20 years. I just looked it up.

Wisconsin ran 60 plays in the 2012 CCG, 50 of which were runs (83%). 3 of their TDs were runs of 56, 57 and 68, and they had a 9-yard TD that was a 1-play drive thanks to a turnover. Wisconsin did not throw a single pass in the second half. Hilarious for anyone to cite that one game as a model for Nebraska to follow when it had far more to do with Pelini being so ill-prepared it's amazing he ever got a job again than anything Wisconsin did.

• Plus1 1

We ran the ball more in the first two quarters more than we did in the second two. The average yards running per rushing play for the game is 3 yards? That doesn't seem to mesh with the success we were having in the first half. I don't have the individual half statistics. It seems to me that Iowa caught on to our game plan disrupting it's effectiveness. The dynamics of the game affected the plays being called going forward forcing us out of what we had been doing to a considerable degree. I don't know how accurate that is. It's the impression I got. 

At some point we started moving offensive linemen around. For whatever reason(s) that had to effect how we were operating. Was it to adjust to what Iowa was doing or what we were attempting to achieve or adjust to? At any rate, the differing success of our rushing likely was a contributing factor as to what we did resulting in more passing. The circumstances of the game. I am not taking anything away from the need to run only suggesting that it wasn't working as well that it had. It simply wasn't by choice. As the game unraveled, the natural consequence was to become more reliant on passing plays. Opportunities vanished for more runs. 

It might be more accurate to say that we didn't adjust well enough in response to their adjustments and that the offensive line play again played a large role in our becoming less effective. In addition to the running backs. There was a difference in the effectiveness of the running plays that we did in the first quarters than the second quarters. Outside in relation to inside rushes. We didn't have an answer to Iowa's adjustments. We just didn't/couldn't do it with similar or different types of runs to complement what we'd done. How well did we run up the middle? What caused us to do so? The causes for us to be unable to sustain or regain what we'd been doing?  

To me it seems that we aren't able to adjust and/or don't make transitions well. Some of that's attributable to personnel. Combine that with a killer blocked punt and other critical miscues that were momentum killers and the outcome was the result we got.  We've got a lot of work to do. 

• Plus1 1