What did we learn Iowa edition

KCBuc

6 minutes ago, HANC said:

You are not completely wrong, but on flip side, last play of 3rd qtr.  SF calls zone read, playing exactly into qb strength. Smothers had running lane for HUGE gain to go well into Iowa territory. Smother drops ball , dives on it, outing us well behind chains. So that gets pinned on SF.  SF calls another option, Smothers fumbles again! Pin it on SF. I coach for a living and some of you guys make my day

One dropped ball does not mean you abandon the QBs strengths as a runner and force him into something that is not his strength. 

• Plus1 1

For the most part I liked Logan's play. We really got out of rhythm around the time of the blocked punt. We just couldn't capture much of any momentum after that. Also, the two calls together nearing the end where we had to wait forever didn't help our cause any. Their defense got a nice rest. 

For the most part, I thought the game plan was good. Would've liked to see misdirection incorporated in. But of coarse we're dealing with time constraints and other issues there so maybe not really applicable. Another takeaway would've helped. Defense was doing a lot for a long stretch there. We had to protect the ball and we didn't. Too much to overcome again. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Defensive players need more pass catching drills.

We need a new play caller and a special teams coach.

This team has a huge losing culture thanks to Frost.  One blocked punt should not have folded the team.

I don’t know if this is players or coaching but these are the little things. Other teams make those interceptions yet we just knock them down. I can think of 2 deflections that looked to be easy picks that resulted in Iowa field goals and another dropped by Tannor that would of been a game changer. These are the things we don’t do make that other teams do.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

One dropped ball does not mean you abandon the QBs strengths as a runner and force him into something that is not his strength. 

He came back to it and he fumbled again. I am just stating that even when he calls to the strength, guys seem to make critical mistakes, that drastically changes down and distance or momentum. Yes, needed to possibly run more, but if we simply hold onto ball, we flip field and don’t punt bc we would be in plus territory. We don’t punt, they don’t block it, we win. This conversation isn’t happening 

5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

For the most part I liked Logan's play. We really got out of rhythm around the time of the blocked punt. We just couldn't capture much of any momentum after that. Also, the two calls together nearing the end where we had to wait forever didn't help our cause any. Their defense got a nice rest. 

For the most part, I thought the game plan was good. Would've liked to see misdirection incorporated in. But of coarse we're dealing with time constraints and other issues there so maybe not really applicable. Another takeaway would've helped. Defense was doing a lot for a long stretch there. We had to protect the ball and we didn't. Too much to overcome again. 

Frost's scheme seems void of anything that resembles misdirection.  very little counters and I haven't seen a reverse in some time.  Frost just seems to call no plays to actually help the OL that is getting beat like a drum.  Draws, traps and counters.  Go under center to disguise the mesh point.  More deigned roll outs.  Use Chance Brewington more as a blocker.  He actually crushed the Iowa defender on one of the rushing TD's.  I think I saw one play action pass.....Frost, for 4 years, has done nothing to call to the strengths of the team.  He continually schemes with what he wants, not what he has.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

I'll admit I'm late to this party, but I learned the need for a STC is just too undeniable.  Tough because the only way I can see it being achievable is letting Ruud go.  But, he's not a recruiting ace, & it's ridiculous to think anything positive can come of coaching changes that do not include a STC.  

I'm flabbergasted people seem to think there is no room for an STC. They just fired 4 offensive assistants.  Hire 3 new ones and an STC. OC/QB, or OC/RB etc. Don't mess with the defense.  We don't need a dedicated QB coach necessarily,  or double up WR and TE.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'm flabbergasted people seem to think there is no room for an STC. They just fired 4 offensive assistants.  Hire 3 new ones and an STC. OC/QB, or OC/RB etc. Don't mess with the defense.  We don't need a dedicated QB coach necessarily,  or double up WR and TE.

Didn’t Beckton double up TE /WR at UCF?  Or, as you stated, OC/QB Coach makes sense. 

• Plus1 1