What did we learn Iowa edition

KCBuc

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Umm...Smothers just had the team leading heading into the 4th quarter against a ranked opponent.

Yep. And then he botched a handoff fake, failed to throw the ball away while in trouble deep in his own territory, and threw the ball to the other team when it mattered most.

We just need to switch gears and get a throw-first guy in my opinion.

I keep hearing about how Frost’s play calling is a major problem but it’s not as if we could just run Smothers on option plays 75% of the time and be successful.

And he probably wouldn’t make it through an entire B1G schedule doing that anyway.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Exactly my point. We’re not going to swim with the big fish. 

The coaches they're targeting are not the same coaches that we would be targeting. We need a young up-and-comer looking to take the next step, or a guy like Herman or Mullen who's looking to rebound. 

My prediction: Next year we'll win 6, it'll be hailed as "progress," and will only prolong the inevitable. 

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep. And then he botched a handoff fake, failed to throw the ball away while in trouble deep in his own territory, and threw the ball to the other team when it mattered most.

We just need to switch gears and get a throw-first guy in my opinion.

I keep hearing about how Frost’s play calling is a major problem but it’s not as if we could just run Smothers on option plays 75% of the time and be successful.

And he probably wouldn’t make it through an entire B1G schedule doing that anyway.

Here is a little data for you to consider.  Now I added this up looking at the play by play so I could be off by a number here or there but the overall trend still applies.   In the first half we ran 32 plays and in the second half we ran 34 plays. Pretty even number of total plays.  Here is the breakdown by half:

• First half:  27 run and 5 pass plays scoring 14 points and no turnovers
  • Second half:  14 run and 20 pass plays scoring7 points and 2 turnovers

The running game was working in the first half and Iowa did not have an answer for it.  We ran the ball 84% of the time and were mixing it up.  In the second half we ran the ball only 41% of the time, and after we scored the touchdown early in the 3rd quarter to go up 21-6, our run/pass ratio went down to 28% runs and 72% passes.  These play calls happened when we had a lead and simply needed to protect that lead with a QB starting his first game.  

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is a little data for you to consider.  Now I added this up looking at the play by play so I could be off by a number here or there but the overall trend still applies.   In the first half we ran 32 plays and in the second half we ran 34 plays. Pretty even number of total plays.  Here is the breakdown by half:

• First half:  27 run and 5 pass plays scoring 14 points and no turnovers
  • Second half:  14 run and 20 pass plays scoring7 points and 2 turnovers

The running game was working in the first half and Iowa did not have an answer for it.  We ran the ball 84% of the time and were mixing it up.  In the second half we ran the ball only 41% of the time, and after we scored the touchdown early in the 3rd quarter to go up 21-6, our run/pass ratio went down to 28% runs and 72% passes.  These play calls happened when we had a lead and simply needed to protect that lead with a QB starting his first game.  

So would you then also surmise that these stats might indicate that Smothers probably can’t really be trusted throwing the ball?

31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'm flabbergasted people seem to think there is no room for an STC. They just fired 4 offensive assistants.  Hire 3 new ones and an STC. OC/QB, or OC/RB etc. Don't mess with the defense.  We don't need a dedicated QB coach necessarily,  or double up WR and TE.

Herman can handle OC/QB

Ron Brown RB

OL

ST

Beckton can handle TE/WR

If we had to get rid of a defense staff member Chin has coached LB's.  Or you could have Ruud/Dawson coach both ILB/OLB.  Bring Bill Busch on and he could do ST and safeties. he did safeties under Cally: Our run defense has been pretty solid.  This would allow Fisher to concentrate soley on the CB's. 

Busch’s safeties have been among the team’s top athletes over the past three seasons. Among his defensive corps last year, Husker safeties recorded six of Nebraska’s 12 interceptions in 2006. Strong safety Tierre Green, who returns for his third season as a starter in the defensive backfield, added one pickoff and assisted the Blackshirts by ranking fifth in tackles. Rickey Thenarse, a freshman, added an interception and made significant contributions on special teams. Together they helped the Blackshirts rank 13th nationally in pass efficiency defense.

The lofty ranking was nothing new as Busch helped guide the 2005 Husker defense to an impressive No. 10 national pass efficiency defense ranking and the No. 2 ranking in the Big 12 Conference. The Huskers held six opponents to less than 200 yards passing and nine to one or fewer passing touchdowns in 2005.

Following the 2005 campaign, Daniel Bullocks joined his twin brother, Josh, as Daniel was selected by the Detroit Lions in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft. A year earlier, Josh, who started two years at NU, was a second-round selection of the New Orleans Saints. Ironically, each Bullocks brother was taken with the 40th pick.

Busch's expertise has also paid dividends for the Huskers on special teams. Over the past three seasons, the Huskers have blocked 15 kicks, including seven in 2005. NU's special teams recorded two important plays in the final minutes of a contest ? a 40-yard field goal to beat Kansas State and a block of a Pitt field-goal attempt ? that proved to be game winners. 

Nebraska ranked in the top 25 nationally in net punting (24th in 2006) and punt returns (17th in 2005) under Busch during the past three years as well. NU’s kickoff coverage unit ranked 15th nationally in 2006 after finishing 22nd the previous year.

ST's is one area that a little attention could prove huge (and possibly the quickest and easiest turn around).

• Plus1 1

I haven't read this thread so this might have been covered.

HITF do you get a touch-back on the opening kickoff, then decide to pow-wow the offense on the sideline, then yap so long that the team doesn't get lined up until there are less than 10 seconds on the play clock. By the time you get the signals called and motion run you end up with a delay of game call before the first snap while there is still 15:00 on the game clock. Not the first time this crap has happened either.

Infuriating, unbelievable and unacceptable!

Although inconsequential to the outcome of the game it is a microcosm of HCSF's poor game management and failure a head coach in a nutshell.

I truly wish ADTA would have just bit the bullet and cut ties with this clown we have as head coach.

• Plus1 4

36 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The coaches they're targeting are not the same coaches that we would be targeting. We need a young up-and-comer looking to take the next step, or a guy like Herman or Mullen who's looking to rebound. 

My prediction: Next year we'll win 6, it'll be hailed as "progress," and will only prolong the inevitable. 

So you either want a young coach at a lesser level, like Frost or someone that has been around the block? That is very broad. Lol. You should pick a type. 

We cannot fire Frost unless we know the newbie will win. 

27 minutes ago, Undone said:

So would you then also surmise that these stats might indicate that Smothers probably can’t really be trusted throwing the ball?

Well my first reaction would be to stick with what was working whether than was Smothers, Yant or someone else running the ball.  This does not mean you never pass either but it does mean that shifting from 84% run plays in one half where Nebraska was winning by double digits to suddenly only 41% really speaks to the poor decision making from Frost on how he called the 2nd half.  The only score we had in the 2nd half was actually a 9-play drive with 7 of those being runs.  After this drive we really abandoned the run overall.  

I am not sure where you came to a conclusion that Smothers can never be trusted throwing the ball.  My main focus is that an offense needs to have an identity and the play caller should focus on what puts the team in the best position for success.  When looking at the first half and the first possession of the 2nd half, we ran the ball over 85% of the time and scored 21 points.  After our first drive in the 2nd half we did not score again and passed the ball way more than we ran it.  

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well my first reaction would be to stick with what was working whether than was Smothers, Yant or someone else running the ball. 

I agree with you, and honestly I think you’re spot on when you say that Frost went away from what was working, which was a direct result of bad and play calling. 

In this instance the bad play calling was probably some kind of stupid manifestation of believing that we had to do what they WOULDN’T expect us to do. 

And obviously throwing is not Logan’s strengths.

Frost fails yet again.

• Plus1 1