What did we learn Iowa edition

KCBuc

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Trevor Lawrence is a perfect example.  He was a phenomenal QB, but to your point, he could throw the ball and ran well enough that teams had to acct for his legs.  Either on designed runs or when he scrambled. Under Frost, our O became solely predicated in the running ability of the QB.

We don't have to have a Trevor Lawrence though to just go 7-5 and beat Illinois & Minnesota.

Even a Todd Reesing would make this scheme light up like fire.

Anybody that learned anything today is an extremely slow learner.

These games don’t even bother me anymore. Wisconsin…Iowa…nothing. The only time I get even remotely anxious is when our punter or kicker comes into the game. Penalties, nothing. Fumble or interception, nothing. Screwed by the officials, nothing. But go out for a simple run of the mill extra point and my heart speeds up and neck tightens. This team f#&%ed me up.

Just now, Undone said:

We don't have to have a Trevor Lawrence though to just go 7-5 and beat Illinois & Minnesota.

Even a Todd Reesing would make this scheme light up like fire.

I agree.  I use him as an example of a QB who was a passer first and last, but Dabo and Co were smart enough to improve and develop his ability to make DC's be concerned about his ability to run.  Even though he would never be considered a "running qb".  If we recruited an actual QB and developed some plays to use his legs, we would be bowling right now.  And last year and ....

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

What?

Do you remember last year when Frost benched Martinez for McNuggets...and then we got blown out by Illinois?

Smothers doesn't have pocket presence. Martinez & Smothers are the same basic "run-first" guy that have both been coached by who would now seem to be a pretty bad quarterback coach. He wouldn't have done any better than Adrian, IMO.

Umm...Smothers just had the team leading heading into the 4th quarter against a ranked opponent.  Frost made it sound like nobody was close to being able to come in to replace Martinez but we saw today Smothers could get the job done.  There were many games this season where AM was clearly in pain or he was just having a horrible game and needed to be taken out.  

As for pocket presence, I agree that both AM and Smothers are not natural pocket passers which is why the play calling from Frost has been horrendous late in games.  We had some good offense in the first half while we were running the option and mixing things up and I believe had nearly 70% of plays that were run plays. If you go back and look at the 2nd half Frost went away from moving the QB around and made him sit in the pocket.  That is why we keep losing games.  Frost is not playing to the natural strengths of his QBs and is instead calling plays to keep them in the pocket.  

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Umm...Smothers just had the team leading heading into the 4th quarter against a ranked opponent.  Frost made it sound like nobody was close to being able to come in to replace Martinez but we saw today Smothers could get the job done.  There were many games this season where AM was clearly in pain or he was just having a horrible game and needed to be taken out.  

As for pocket presence, I agree that both AM and Smothers are not natural pocket passers which is why the play calling from Frost has been horrendous late in games.  We had some good offense in the first half while we were running the option and mixing things up and I believe had nearly 70% of plays that were run plays. If you go back and look at the 2nd half Frost went away from moving the QB around and made him sit in the pocket.  That is why we keep losing games.  Frost is not playing to the natural strengths of his QBs and is instead calling plays to keep them in the pocket.  

And neither one has anything to do with special teams. They are both victims of it. As are we. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You are not completely wrong, but on flip side, last play of 3rd qtr.  SF calls zone read, playing exactly into qb strength. Smothers had running lane for HUGE gain to go well into Iowa territory. Smother drops ball , dives on it, outing us well behind chains. So that gets pinned on SF.  SF calls another option, Smothers fumbles again! Pin it on SF. I coach for a living and some of you guys make my day

Smothers could have played in the Purdue game, Minnesota game, ETC.  He is  talented kid.  Could be really good QB if we play football that compliments his abilities.  Frosty is over his head.  His play calling was good until all the scripted plays were used up.  ONce he had to identify what works and what doesn't, it all failed.  That called halftime adjustments.  Its also called being out coached once again.  Iowa, friggin, Iowa which doesn't even sniff this Nebraska team with comparable talent won the game because Ferentz can coach and make adjustments. 

• Fire 1