What did we learn Iowa edition

KCBuc

I learned that Trev Alberts started his tenure at Nebraska by committing the worst mistake ever in order to save a few million. He set us back a few years because recruiting is going to suffer yet another year which will make it harder for whoever comes next to turn things around. Was it really worth it? I keep asking myself. Why couldn’t he have waited to today to think about the contract restructuring? So, to summarize Trev’s colossal mistake:

(1) kept a coach who is a lame duck on the hottest seat of FBS and everyone in the nation knows it

(2) expects this lame duck coach to recruit high quality players who are difference makers that would choose to play for this said lame duck coach instead of going to other winning programs with better stability

(3) expect quality assistant coaches to join a sinking boat with huge holes to plug

(4) expects this coach to fix what he could not fix for 4 years now with new staff that he does not fully know or have experience with

Talk about your mission impossible. The easiest solution would have been to terminate this failed experiment and let both parties have a fresh new start. This contract restructuring is a lose lose. Nebraska loses one year and possibly more with an entirely new staff after Frost is officially fired, and Frost digs himself a deeper hole when he continues to lose close games making him a bad hire even as an assistant coach.

I know…people wonder why can’t I be positive that Frost will finally turn things around next year. The chances of that happening is even worst than another FBS coach going 5-20 in one score games in four years.

4 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I learned that Trev Alberts started his tenure at Nebraska by committing the worst mistake ever in order to save a few million. He set us back a few years because recruiting is going to suffer yet another year which will make it harder for whoever comes next to turn things around. Was it really worth it? I keep asking myself. Why couldn’t he have waited to today to think about the contract restructuring? So, to summarize Trev’s colossal mistake:

(1) kept a coach who is a lame duck on the hottest seat of FBS and everyone in the nation knows it

(2) expects this lame duck coach to recruit high quality players who are difference makers that would choose to play for this said lame duck coach instead of going to other winning programs with better stability

(3) expect quality assistant coaches to join a sinking boat with huge holes to plug

(4) expects this coach to fix what he could not fix for 4 years now with new staff that he does not fully know or have experience with

Talk about your mission impossible. The easiest solution would have been to terminate this failed experiment and let both parties have a fresh new start. This contract restructuring is a lose lose. Nebraska loses one year and possibly more with an entirely new staff after Frost is officially fired, and Frost digs himself a deeper hole when he continues to lose close games making him a bad hire even as an assistant coach.

I know…people wonder why can’t I be positive that Frost will finally turn things around next year. The chances of that happening is even worst than another FBS coach going 5-20 in one score games in four years.

I'm telling ya: 6-6 next year (aka "progress") followed by another losing season. We're prolonging the agony.

19 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Umm...Smothers just had the team leading heading into the 4th quarter against a ranked opponent.  Frost made it sound like nobody was close to being able to come in to replace Martinez but we saw today Smothers could get the job done. 

So Adrian has crucial turnovers and can't get it done and he deserves to sit and doesn't have a clutch bone in his body.

Smothers has backbreaking fumbles and seals the game with an interception and he could get the job done?

What kind of insane double standard is that lol.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

So Adrian has crucial turnovers and can't get it done and he deserves to sit and doesn't have a clutch bone in his body.

Smothers has backbreaking fumbles and seals the game with an interception and he could get the job done?

1 game vs 4 years.  That kind of insane double standard.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

One is a red shirt freshman with extremely limited in game experience.  The other is a four year starter three time captain.  And in the end they performed about the same:dunno   So yes, Frost was wrong about AM being some irreplaceable piece even when hurt. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

You are missing the point. I am not saying Smothers is better than AM as he has not had enough games for a fair comparison. What I am saying is that Smothers had this team with a lead heading into the 4th quarter against a ranked opponent just as AM has done. Thus, the difference between AM who started all season and Smothers as the backup is not as drastic as we were led to believe, and in situations where AM was having an off game or was fighting through injury, there is no reason Frost should not have put Smothers in. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

One is a red shirt freshman with extremely limited in game experience.  The other is a four year starter three time captain.  And in the end they performed about the same:dunno   So yes, Frost was wrong about AM being some irreplaceable piece even when hurt. 

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You are missing the point. I am not saying Smothers is better than AM as he has not had enough games for a fair comparison. What I am saying is that Smothers had this team with a lead heading into the 4th quarter against a ranked opponent just as AM has done. Thus, the difference between AM who started all season and Smothers as the backup is not as drastic as we were led to believe, and in situations where AM was having an off game or was fighting through injury, there is no reason Frost should not have put Smothers in. 

The difference is way bigger than it seemed from one game. This is the same thing people said when McCaffery threw that touchdown against Iowa in 2019. This was a highly customized and highly limited playbook version of the offense for Logan. He played well, until he didn't (plenty of that is on Frost as well going off script), but a large reason for Logan's success was clearly that he wasn't running the whole playbook. 

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

The difference is way bigger than it seemed from one game. This is the same thing people said when McCaffery threw that touchdown against Iowa in 2019. This was a highly customized and highly limited playbook version of the offense for Logan. He played well, until he didn't (plenty of that is on Frost as well going off script), but a large reason for Logan's success was clearly that he wasn't running the whole playbook. 

Again you are missing the point.  Through the first 39 minutes of the game, the play calling was heavily focused on running the ball (over 80% runs) and Nebraska built up a 21-6 lead.  From that point forward, Frost called 70% passes and only 30% runs which affected the entire rhythm the offense had going.  With the right play calling Smothers proved he was a more than capable backup and frankly could have come in at times when Martinez was not feeling great or on games where he was just completely off (like the game where he had multiple INTs).  

Put another way, Nebraska had 3 victories this season, and had Smothers started all 3 of those games Nebraska gets the win just as they did with Martinez.  There is not a single game this year that Martinez won as a starter that Smothers also would not have won.  

• Plus1 1