Congratulations to Iowa

I hate Iowa, but if their brand of football is 'boring' wins, I would take that all day, every day over our 'exciting' losses. They beat us today by playing fundamentally sound, all three phases of the game, solid football. Goodson averaged something like 7 yards a carry. We went from running the ball very well to fancy-dance passing crap and folded like a lawn chair. 

Congratulations to Iowa and Kirk Ferentz for valuing consistency and fundamentals in the face of flash, smoke, and mirrors. I still hate you.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I hate Iowa, but if their brand of football is 'boring' wins, I would take that all day, every day over our 'exciting' losses. They beat us today by playing fundamentally sound, all three phases of the game, solid football. Goodson averaged something like 7 yards a carry. We went from running the ball very well to fancy-dance passing crap and folded like a lawn chair. 

Congratulations to Iowa and Kirk Ferentz for valuing consistency and fundamentals in the face of flash, smoke, and mirrors. I still hate you.

Bolded applies to Minnesota and 90% of the Big Ten. Your thoughts are accurate though, we would accept boring football if it was successful in winning 80% of our games at this point. 

• Plus1 1

Wow. Message board or not, this thread is an embarrassment to our fanbase. I'd give a lot to have Iowa's record, a chance at winning the West and a bowl game. Instead, we will ignore the bowls citing lots of reasons from Natural Light was on sale, to the lesser bowls don't matter, or bowls are meaningless unless its the CFP, but the fact is, they matter a lot to the program, the players. It's practice, a trip somewhere (usually) warm and fun, some swag, and one more chance for the Seniors to compete with the guys...but we are once again going to stay home. Bet it matters to the players...if it doesn't that is indicative of a bigger problem.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

They beat us today by playing fundamentally sound, all three phases of the game, solid football. 

I mean, I get what you're trying to say. Really though there is only one team that outright beat us this year- Ohio State. The rest took advantage of our self implosions. They didn't do anything themselves to beat us.

Its like winning a game of pool with 4 balls on the table, when the better shot scratched on the 8 ball. Sure you get the W. but you didn't do anything to earn it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I mean, I get what you're trying to say. Really though there is only one team that outright beat us this year- Ohio State. The rest took advantage of our self implosions. They didn't do anything themselves to beat us.

Its like winning a game of pool with 4 balls on the table, when the better shot scratched on the 8 ball. Sure you get the W. but you didn't do anything to earn it.

I would take your analogy if your opponent scratched the 8 ball 9 times out of 12, the last 6 times in a row. Frost thinks he can win games with a playbook, but what it really takes is fundamentally executing football plays. The simple things, the little things. We don't do those things. Iowa does.

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

Wow. Message board or not, this thread is an embarrassment to our fanbase. I'd give a lot to have Iowa's record, a chance at winning the West and a bowl game. Instead, we will ignore the bowls citing lots of reasons from Natural Light was on sale, to the lesser bowls don't matter, or bowls are meaningless unless its the CFP, but the fact is, they matter a lot to the program, the players. It's practice, a trip somewhere (usually) warm and fun, some swag, and one more chance for the Seniors to compete with the guys...but we are once again going to stay home. Bet it matters to the players...if it doesn't that is indicative of a bigger problem.

Embarrassment to our fanbase? Take it easy, it's an all in good fun ribbing of our neighboring school. A few threads down we have look-a-like thread comparing an Iowa linebacker to Joe Dirt. All Huskers would happily take an Outback bowl or any bowl at this point. Still doesn't take away from the perspective that this Iowa team has the possibility of tying the record of the best team in their history. Think about that... the team we saw today could potentially be argued as the best in their school history. That is worthy of a chuckle in my mind.

If you don't understand or care for the irony with the thread, that's totally cool and you can ignore it. For others, I hope they can get a little laugh from it.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Under Frost, in extra bowl practices alone, that is roughly (average) between 48-60 practices that the non-starters could participate in.  Imagine if Smothers had those extra practices. Or (insert) player here.  Time to dial in ST's etc....That is basically 2 EXTRA seasons that our B1G foes have gotten.  That we have missed by not going to some bowl, any bowl.....Bowls matter.  Players are developed during bowl practices.

I'm so sick of this "we beat ourselves" nonsense. One of the worst offenses, not in the Big Ten, but in the entire country averaged more than 5 yards per carry. Our defensive line couldn't fight off their offensive line in the second half. Inside zone was their bread and butter and we never stopped it consistently. Our turnovers don't help but this Iowa offense is a complete zero. Iowa has rarely been an offensive juggernaut but this offense is even bad by their standards.

Tyler Goodson is a good back but every Big Ten team with a pulse figured out how to bottle him up.  Against Minnesota he ran for 59, against Wisconsin 27, against Penn State 88. Purdue held him to 68, even Maryland held him to 66 yards. He only had 100+ yard games against NW and ILL. He had 150 against us - his best total of the season.

He was already over a hundred yards on 20 carries when he had his 55 yard run. Our defense played well for the most part but we didn't have a good answer for the inside zone the second half. Again, all the other decent teams mentioned above figured out how to do this. It ain't a surprise what Ferentz is going to try to do. 

When Iowa put in Petras we should have blitzed him 60-70% of the time. This is what Purdue and Wisconsin did to him. Petras has horrible time with pressure because he is Bernie Kosar level immobile. 

Our defensive stats don't look too bad but this is deceiving because the Iowa offense is horrid. 

1 hour ago, Glan said:

I'm so sick of this "we beat ourselves" nonsense. One of the worst offenses, not in the Big Ten, but in the entire country averaged more than 5 yards per carry. Our defensive line couldn't fight off their offensive line in the second half. Inside zone was their bread and butter and we never stopped it consistently. Our turnovers don't help but this Iowa offense is a complete zero. Iowa has rarely been an offensive juggernaut but this offense is even bad by their standards.

Tyler Goodson is a good back but every Big Ten team with a pulse figured out how to bottle him up.  Against Minnesota he ran for 59, against Wisconsin 27, against Penn State 88. Purdue held him to 68, even Maryland held him to 66 yards. He only had 100+ yard games against NW and ILL. He had 150 against us - his best total of the season.

He was already over a hundred yards on 20 carries when he had his 55 yard run. Our defense played well for the most part but we didn't have a good answer for the inside zone the second half. Again, all the other decent teams mentioned above figured out how to do this. It ain't a surprise what Ferentz is going to try to do. 

When Iowa put in Petras we should have blitzed him 60-70% of the time. This is what Purdue and Wisconsin did to him. Petras has horrible time with pressure because he is Bernie Kosar level immobile. 

Our defensive stats don't look too bad but this is deceiving because the Iowa offense is horrid. 

Did the Iowa offense score more than one TD?

• Haha 1