Instant reactions Iowa loss

solesrfr

The Corn Nation guy is making me laugh. Comedic tragedy.  McKewon’s like again I have to cover this crap? I couldn’t listen to the other ones. Seriously, do we want to play big time football or not? These coaching hires can’t be little singles or doubles. No, nope, nada. I need to hear Tom Herman hired as OC for Nebraska as breaking news during the first half of OSU-Michigan tomorrow. That’s where I am at. Stop diddling around.

• Plus1 1

I'll add the Tad Stryker article here...Another honest, yet painful read about the miscues by Frost.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/iowas-blocked-punt-td-prompts-frost-to-abandon-running-game-in-late-collapse

Frost said the Huskers’ momentum disappeared after the blocked punt, and I agree, but it’s largely because Frost panicked and needlessly erased Jaquez Yant from the game plan. Ironically, Frost, who had done a great job scripting Smothers’ role in the game, got way off script after his midfield fumble early in the fourth quarter with the Huskers still leading 21-16. Yant rushed for 44 yards on 13 carries with one touchdown, yet Frost erased him. It was a huge unforced error, and it put needless pressure on Smothers, who to that point, had done a better-than-expected job in his debut as a starter.

The Blackshirts stepped up and forced a three-and-out, and the Hawkeyes punted the Huskers back to their 7-yard line. At that point, Frost decided to roll the dice, shut down the running game and depend on the offensive line’s ability to pass block, the thing it is worst at doing. It quickly led to a two-point safety, closing the gap to 21-18. And after that, in the final 10 minutes of the game, Frost inexplicably called only two more running plays. Why? 

• Plus1 8
35 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

The Corn Nation guy is making me laugh. Comedic tragedy.  McKewon’s like again I have to cover this crap? I couldn’t listen to the other ones. Seriously, do we want to play big time football or not? These coaching hires can’t be little singles or doubles. No, nope, nada. I need to hear Tom Herman hired as OC for Nebraska as breaking news during the first half of OSU-Michigan tomorrow. That’s where I am at. Stop diddling around.

This. A splash hire.  Opens up that Texas pipeline that the talking heads say we need.  He knows the B1G and can develop QB's.  I hope you are correct.  If we hear nothing with all the big time games on tomorrow, I feel like we are screwed.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'll add the Tad Stryker article here...Another honest, yet painful read about the miscues by Frost.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/iowas-blocked-punt-td-prompts-frost-to-abandon-running-game-in-late-collapse

Frost said the Huskers’ momentum disappeared after the blocked punt, and I agree, but it’s largely because Frost panicked and needlessly erased Jaquez Yant from the game plan. Ironically, Frost, who had done a great job scripting Smothers’ role in the game, got way off script after his midfield fumble early in the fourth quarter with the Huskers still leading 21-16. Yant rushed for 44 yards on 13 carries with one touchdown, yet Frost erased him. It was a huge unforced error, and it put needless pressure on Smothers, who to that point, had done a better-than-expected job in his debut as a starter.

The Blackshirts stepped up and forced a three-and-out, and the Hawkeyes punted the Huskers back to their 7-yard line. At that point, Frost decided to roll the dice, shut down the running game and depend on the offensive line’s ability to pass block, the thing it is worst at doing. It quickly led to a two-point safety, closing the gap to 21-18. And after that, in the final 10 minutes of the game, Frost inexplicably called only two more running plays. Why? 

Yeah, I couldn't figure out why we were passing with our backs that close to the end zone?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

Yeah, I couldn't figure out why we were passing with our backs that close to the end zone?

And it wasn't even quick outs or a pass to our gigantic TE's.  It was these long developing routes that forced Smothers to make reads and then going to the the outlet receiver for 1-2 yard losses.  I just don't get it.  And was Yant hurt or just looked at Frost funny and got benched?

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I don't know what more it's going to take for people to realize that Tom Herman is not going to come here as an OC, and you're plain delusional if you think he would. Heck, Tom Herman might not even come here if we offered him the HC job. The guy will have plenty of other better offers than OC at Nebraska.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

And it wasn't even quick outs or a pass to our gigantic TE's.  It was these long developing routes that forced Smothers to make reads and then going to the the outlet receiver for 1-2 yard losses.  I just don't get it.  And was Yant hurt or just looked at Frost funny and got benched?

He panics and goes away from the run late in games,  he's done it all season.  Game gets close, other team has adjusted to take away a couple things and Frost abandons the run.  Not only does he abandon the run, he starts calling middle to deep routes that require protection.  The team takes on his fear of losing which is a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He panics and goes away from the run late in games,  he's done it all season.  Game gets close, other team has adjusted to take away a couple things and Frost abandons the run.  Not only does he abandonthe run, he starts calling middle to deep routes that require protection.  The team takes on his fear of losing which is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Can't figure out why he does that? We started with heavy run clock control. Should have stuck with it.

24 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost did what he always does. when the other team make second half adjustments and take away the qb run game he gets pass happy. Frost is looking for any excuse not to run the ball. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't know what more it's going to take for people to realize that Tom Herman is not going to come here as an OC, and you're plain delusional if you think he would. Heck, Tom Herman might not even come here if we offered him the HC job. The guy will have plenty of other better offers than OC at Nebraska.

Which jobs? TCU and SMU have closed. Will Miami open up? He is an analyst for the Bears for crying out loud. Not OC for the Bears or even a QB coach. 

32 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Am I not seeing something with Brody Belt? 

and while I’m at it- what the heck with the circle loop. I think Toure did it in the first quarter- I actually thought, Whoops!  But then some else did it late. You know what I’m talking about? 

It’s like a player goes in motion, but then circles around the QB and RB.  What purpose does that serve?  

As to Belt, it’s a feel good story, but further proof of the inability of Held to develop the RB room.