How is next year better ?

5 minutes ago, OreGUNHusker said:

Frost’s best year was 5 wins, with Riley’s recruits against a soft schedule- and 2AM with Vedral as a backup- someone explain how the math gets better ?

With the best of leftover Pelini recruits*

Can’t say it’ll be better but hard to envision it going worse. Will really depend on if the new offensive assistants and special team coach (today further solidified that happening), understand how to play against the boring teams of the Big Ten. Figure out how to control the clock, tempo and complementary football and you should win 6-7 games with relative ease. Several Big Ten coaches know just enough to not beat themselves. They typically have what most would consider to be poor or mediocre talent. An average talent that doesn’t beat themselves annually finishes in the top two in our division every year. 

Too many variables between now and game one but our schedule gets a little more favorable (more so with Riley at Oklahoma likely leaving), new assistants to bring new possibilities and seeing off a senior class that just couldn’t figure out how to finish. Gotta find the positivity or else it’ll be a long nine months.

• Plus1 2

I don't think it will be. The schedule is more favorable but we only beat one P5 team this year and are losing a ton of talent so I wouldn't count on the schedule.

Maybe we get a real ST coach which could have meant several more wins this year.

Maybe our new OC will be allowed to call plays and not panic in the second half.

But Frost will still be in charge and I'm not sure any of the above can overcome that large of a burden.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, BaytownHusker said:

It only gets better if Frost 1000% turns over the play calling and scheme to a proven OC.  

Yea Smothers put the ball on the ground and we had a blocked punt.  But Frost 100 percent crapped his pants calling plays in this game. 

Or if Frost continues to call the plays but turns the wheel over to a real head coach

I don’t see how it gets better. With the amount of impact experience they are losing and having to fill 4 coaching positions. What quality assistant coach or OC would want to step into the situation that is going at Nebraska with the high likelihood of next year being a prove it or your gone year? It would have to be a step down or recently fired coach from another program. And does Neb want to get more mid-major up and comers? That was the major critique when Frost was first hired is that he brought his whole staff of mid-major up and comers with him and had no major conference experience. 

Not to mention the dismal recruiting right now. Last in the Big Ten. I know this was going to be a small class but that doesn’t change the relative mediocre quality of recruits currently committed. We’ll see if they stay committed. Frankly, if they do stay committed they may not have any other options which doesn’t bode well either. They have also lost the top 4 recruits in the state of Nebraska to other schools. Now bring in a lame-duck staff to try to convince impact athletes to come play here. Hell, even Caleb Benning said in his interview after his offer than it wasn’t his dream school. That says a lot. Ouch. https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/husker-legacy-caleb-benning-picks-up-an-offer-from-nebraska?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

024F3275-8247-4AC9-B55C-705AA9A05F33.jpeg.d5eb8858db018e68ab9fd2dea1343a1b.jpeg

7 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

With the best of leftover Pelini recruits*

Can’t say it’ll be better but hard to envision it going worse. Will really depend on if the new offensive assistants and special team coach (today further solidified that happening), understand how to play against the boring teams of the Big Ten. Figure out how to control the clock, tempo and complementary football and you should win 6-7 games with relative ease. Several Big Ten coaches know just enough to not beat themselves. They typically have what most would consider to be poor or mediocre talent. An average talent that doesn’t beat themselves annually finishes in the top two in our division every year. 

Too many variables between now and game one but our schedule gets a little more favorable (more so with Riley at Oklahoma likely leaving), new assistants to bring new possibilities and seeing off a senior class that just couldn’t figure out how to finish. Gotta find the positivity or else it’ll be a long nine months.

So basically what you’re saying is he needs to learn to coach!?

I hope he does, but I’m certainly not optimistic. To aspire to having someone who “knows just enough to not beat themselves” is a pretty low bar. Unfortunately that low bar seems to still be out of reach for us. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

If they go after Willy Korn, and a good special teams guy, things could get interesting. 

If not? 3-4 wins, max. 

The real problem is, if Trev axes Frost, who does he hire? What options would he even have?

Your line of thinking of "who does he hire" is so dumb. Trev will go out and pursue coaches who he would be interested in.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

I think we are probably coach shopping next year, but I’ll play the max hype angle.

We have enough coming back on defense plus a few portal additions to sure up that the defense remains serviceable. Frost finds a QB in the portal and some offensive staff worth their paychecks. Yesterday was enough to convince Frost to hire a special teams coordinator. The schedule doesn’t get much easier.